What do you do while you're in open trades?

Interesting… on my brokers platform (Oanda), I’ve discovered you can’t really leave stops unless they are at least 100 pips below market… As everyday at 5pm, and on sunday evening, they open the spread around 50 pips. Sometimes more…

100 pips is ridiculous.

Yes, all brokers open spreads at thinly traded times like Sunday evenings - I have in the past cancelled stops temporarily to avoid being caught this way, and then reinstated them Monday morning, but that was when my stops were stupidly tight anyway, don’t find the need to do that now.

I look for other trade setups…make coffee, yoga, exercise, back test new indicators, research equities, Its ok to keep abreast of your position if you are not interfering with it. That is how you know your trading psychology is strong is of you can see where your at and still let it ride out. I have certain alerts set to sometimes increase my pos size or to scale out. Its okay to know where your at as long as your not meddling.

2 Likes

Stick to your plan. I know it’s hard not to fidget around your trades. But following the plan takes priority. Should I always second guess when entering a trade, I would not do trading at all on that day.

2 Likes

Yes, the main thing here is to adhere to the strategy. Only in this case can one achieve high results.

1 Like

Yeah I chickened out at the last minute last week and didn’t try pyramiding which turned out to be a life saver as the trade wasn’t anywhere near “going my way” lmao. Will definitely wait for confirmation next time first! I’m scanning charts again today so hopefully I get to use this trick, will definitely let you know!

This makes sense but I’m not sure I’m as advanced to pull it off. :sweat_smile:

See this is what I do, I feel like I’m making excuses to check if I should update my trade but really I’m just getting antsy…

I don’t even do short time frames so it really doesn’t make sense for me to be watching it so closely. :woman_facepalming:

Averaging up vs. down makes sense. I’m just still too risk-averse to try any. But between those two, averaging down is definitely not my priority to try out first. :sweat_smile:

I don’t interfere with it generally but I just don’t like that I feel I’m consumed by it. So will definitely take a much more controlled approach this week and keep myself busy!

I start going into shorter and shorter time-frames. Always something going on!

1 Like

Just hope it goes as hoped and trust myself

When a trade is open, I just patiently wait for the market to execute as per my plan. It’s hard not to fidget around with trades, but being actively present in the moment definitely helps me take any necessary step that a situation demands.

1 Like

if i already set my SL. I would just look at other options or go do something else completely. There’s always the urge to constantly checking it so distracting myself with something else help cause i know the more i look at it, the more likely i may close it early or make some mistakes.

Basically, I do open my new trade positions after verifying my entry points by many parameters; but when I open any new trade position then I just wait for the result, either it’s TP or SL! I also don’t monitor my running trades!

My trades always have a SL set as I open them and most have a TP also.

However, I do check the TA on the D1 charts for open trades each evening. Reason is to check the TA features I wanted to see in order to open the trade all still present and all still showing green lights. If the set-up weakens after my entry, this reduces the probability of success and it makes sense to either exit the trade or tighten the SL.

1 Like

Mostly I just wait it out, I relax and read a novel or just relax. You need to rest also, you can’t constantly think about trading. This helps you make better decisions and stops you from over trading.

2 Likes

i think , keep checking open trades is not a bad thing ,that’s what happen in certain point of learning, the bad thing is i can’t find a way to profit.

1 Like

I trade the D1 timeframe, check on it once in a while, but mostly I read/ meditate on the Bible and rest.

Sometimes, I lower my position size and just “play” on the 1minute timeframe.

1 Like

i usually trade on H4 time frame so i prefer to do something else once i put down my orders like do other works or playing games. I find that if i check my trades frequently it just gonna makes me nervous and end up closing early.

I use this time to catch-up with learning, or ask to peopled: do you know how to place trades with 3 stop losses,and tree take profits? in MT5?

I stop looking at anything related to trading

2 Likes