What economic indicators/news should a purely technical analysis trader look to avoid?

Beyond the NFPs, what else should I look to avoid in order to have my trade based as much on purely technical analysis as possible?

US interest rate announcement would be the one that comes to mind. Occasionally OPEC production level decisions make a splash.

But even then, unless you’re holding a very short-term trade and/or have a very tight stop, I’m not sure its worth taking any special measures. These things don’t normally lead to trend reversals or failures on the daily chart. The real hazard from big news is that the extra volatility and wider spreads can take out tight stops, and even though the direction of your trade is continued after the hullaballoo has died down, you find you were stopped out just due to this. But then I’d say tight stops are the issue, not the news…

1 Like

If you’re going to trade purely off price action, I’ll advise you use daily, weekly and monthly charts. When you do so, the news will not bother you!

Also use 0.01 lot