What Every New & Or Aspiring Forex Trader... Still Wants To Know

No, that was a good rant. I can see by just taking a glance back over the charts that a 30 pip trailing stop would take me out of some perfectly good trades. If you are right on the daily direction more times than not, and are putting probability in your favor for a long range day, then it seems that you could safely sleep through until London Close. So I guess I need to decide on splitting two ways or three ways, and that may depend on S&R levels. I think over time it may become apparent that statistically one returns more profits than the other, but for the time being I will just assume that they are both legitimate.

If I am aiming for 2.5R on a ā€˜Double Tapā€™ trade, then that would be 15 pips first TP (30 pips/2) and 50 pips 2nd TP (100 pips/2). According to my data (sorry, broā€™ā€¦YOUR data :wink: ) there have been 42 daily ranges at or above 125 pips out of the last 80 days for Cable alone. So on average, every other day. Is it possible to get a 100 pips out of a 125 pip day? To pin down the high and low that accurately it would be difficult, but not impossible. Now if you look at days above 150 pips, well there are 27 - one every 3 days. This is the once a week opportunity. The chance of securing 100 pips out of a ā€˜150 pip dayā€™ is much more likely.

Well, anywayā€¦sorry for MY rant but I am now fully on board with LO, and obsessed with pinning down this one 2.5R trade a week. I am not underestimating the skill and knowledge it takes to do such a thing, but if it can be done, the compounding profits are astonishing:eek: (It is probably worth noting here that although ICT challenged us to look for just one trade a week - the 2.5R trade - I do recall him saying that if it got to about Wednesday and he hadnā€™t found it, he would start looking for smaller trades to fill his weekly pip goal.)

Regards

Hi all,

Many thanks for your rant on stops Akeakamia,

youā€™ve helped clear that up for me and have obviously been watching me trading (or at least attempting).

ITC many thanks for the latest video,it has answered my questions on leverage and helped me to see clearly how to structure my trades.

Iā€™ve took a step back from trading,I was live with a 0.05% risk and no leverage on a 5k account.Its at break even so no financial drama,but I realised I was lacking experience and doing stupid things so Iā€™m back to paper trading and studying price till I get it clearer.Its almost there but I need to put more chart time/study of ITCā€™s material to get it instinctive.

Many thanks to all contributors this thread is a priceless resource!!!

Jeff

Donā€™t forget that GMT Pivots are valid sometimes too!

Daily Chart with MONTHLY pivots

4 Hour Chart with WEEKLY pivots

1 Hour Chart with Daily GMT pivots

15 Minute Chart with Daily GMT pivots

GLGT!

Hello everyone.

What do you mean by price chasing and OTE entries?

Imageshack - 15062011tradeszoomed.png hereā€™s the zoom you requestedā€¦

After been following my strategy using the fibonacci i have noticed that using fibonacci it is sometimes good to wait for a confirmation like waiting for the second candle to form, and sometimes notā€¦

And sometimes price wonā€™t hit exactly the levels, perhaps 2-3 pips away and then bounce. Since iā€™m only trading exactly on the lines this has made me miss trading oppurtunitiesā€¦

Iā€™m following this to train discipline, and perhaps in the future iā€™m thinking of retuning the strategy. Perhaps adding a williams % indicator as a conformation tool. Not sure reallyā€¦

Thanks for the advice ICT.

Edit: Didnā€™t quote otherwise itā€™d be a big post.

As I recall this was a London Close scalp wasnā€™t it? I remember commenting on it because I took the same trade, but my entry was lower in price, and that is why I thought you entered when price was moving north.

OTE is Optimal Trade Entry (Video 4.2 on the first page of this thread). ā€˜Chasing priceā€™ means not getting in between 62% and 79% retracement, but getting in as price is rising. Your best entry to go long is when price is heading south!

Price does sometimes hit your Fib level spot on, but you shouldnā€™t be looking for it to do that each time. This is not an exact science! Also, donā€™t forget to factor in the spread.

Just entered what I think is a Z-day on Fiberā€¦this is happening nowā€¦real money on the lineā€¦letā€™s see what occurs.

GLGTā€¦for me!

The range for fiber today is only 74, highly doubt that will stick for the end of day range (ending at Tokyo open). I think the potential is there! Good luck

and as for the 100+ pip trades, they are certainly worth the hunt. I think the key to finding those setups is to look at market structure on the higher TFs. The Cable trade you highlighted where it blew out Buy stops on the 1H TF was a perfect example IMO

Absolutely no luck today! Stopped out on Fiber, and Cable London Close trade missed by 1 pip and went straight up to my TP. Grrrrrrrr!

Hey Ali,

here my oppinions on your trade. Normally I donā€™t use any trendlines but this one caught my attention on 1h chart. As I went short in LO I used it for my TP and look how good it supports price. After that bounce Iā€™d consider this swing as an uptrend and want to draw a Fib for a long OTE. Itā€™s just how I draw fibs and Iā€™m not sure if I do this right, but it works out very good till now.

How do you see this? My greatest problems were/are to identify if price is doing a retracement to an OTE or if itā€™s in a trend to somewhere else, mostly a S/R, PPā€¦ The problem about this was in the beginning that I was very unstable with TPā€™s because I could draw a fib just everywhere on the chart, in any timeframe and in any direction. Possibly mostly in the direction that I WANTED it to.

So letā€™s say Iā€™ve found an OTE for long, I saw billions of OTE for short where it might be heading and made me very nervous hehe. I hope somebody here can give some advise about this and correct me if my thought are completly wrong :slight_smile:

(left out the Fibs, I think you can see the possibilities ;D)

ImageShackĀ® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
ImageShackĀ® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

greetings

London Close today on cable SWEET so sweet thanks ICT :}

Too bad, I didnā€™t notice there were fed reports coming out later in the NY session. The small range leading up to that makes more sense. Look at the CPP for June on the Fiber (and try not to cry) lol

That was brave to do the live trade on the thread. I always wonder what I wouldā€™ve done if I had been looking for trades on days like this. Cable fell like a rock and put in a huge range, and Fiber was all over the place and put in itā€™s biggest move at NY close. Not your typical day for sureā€¦

Butā€¦thereā€™s always tomorrow or next week :41:

Whatā€™s up guys, been a few days since Iā€™ve checked in, life has kept me busy and havenā€™t really been able to watch the charts as much as Iā€™d like to.

Pulled them up last night at about 2 AM EST (LO Kill Zone) focused on GU and noticed a narrow range day on Tuesday, with a nice pin bar high on Monday at 1.6254. Anyway I figured there would be some stops right above it to get blown out and that a nice Turtle Soup setup might occur, but I was tired and since I havenā€™t been watching the charts as I should, I went to sleep without any action.

Look at that trade go! Went 7 pips above Mondayā€™s pin bar and is still dropping right now in the asian session. Stop could have been placed extremely tight as they suggest in Street Smarts, and wouldnā€™t have been hit.

A month ago I would have seen the same exact setup as a reason to go long and try to ride the breakout. Thanks for opening my eyes to how the market works Michael. The funny thing is, I read Michael Covelā€™s books on trend following and the Turtles, and even when he is practically shouting that the trend following method is only right 20% or so of the time, my brain didnā€™t think about the other 80% of the trades.

I know what you mean.

This comes to mind:

I hope you all saw Indiana Jones and the last crusade hahaha. ICT is the guy who threw the sand on the bridge so we could see through the illusion :wink:

New PTC posted on threadā€¦

[B]GLGT[/B]

PS: Akeaā€¦ Iā€™m digging your new avatar :wink:

hahaha! The Golden Gun. ā€œOne shot, One killā€

I can really connect with all your Sniper analogies. No real world experience, but plenty of nerdy Medal of Honor/Call of Duty Sniping experience lol! At one point last year I was comparing trades to Bullets in an attempt to ā€œconserveā€ them and cull my overtrading. Those were the daysā€¦

Now iā€™m taking 1-3 trades a week and doing infinitely better than ever before. This week I was in front of the charts 30minutes, took 1 trade, and done for the week. I think the biggest obstacle was believing that the game could actually be this easy.

full size:

or the ā€œkill shotā€ version. this was just me messing around in photoshop about 8 years ago

Like I said before AK, I average 1-2 trades per week, by then I almost always have hit my weekly target. Keep it up!

1% is a small price to pay for an ego check! I have been seeing a lot of things these last ten days that I couldnā€™t spot before, and I guess I was starting to think I had the full ICT 20/20 vision :58: It is kind of ironic that Fiber blew out the stops just as Cable had done earlier in the dayā€¦and I deserved to be punished for not doing a proper top down analysis and seeing where the June CPP was.

On to the next set-up.

EDIT: Well I just watched the last PTC video and it is nice to know that it was in fact a Z-day, and I was right to expect a sympathy play from Fiberā€¦it just didnā€™t happen when and as I expected it to. Not to worry.

I think itā€™s safe to say weā€™ll be in the learning phase for at least the first 12 months. The ā€˜ego checksā€™ and market beat-downs are all part of our psychological training, and the important part is just getting that chart time to see these setups forming over and over again. The money feels important, like itā€™s our ā€˜gradeā€™ but in reality these $ amounts will mean absolutely nothing in a few years.

I mean when we are trading our $100,000 accounts down the road, weā€™ll be extremely glad we got all these ā€œchecks and balancesā€ done with our small accounts. Honestly though, I think you understand that, but talking it out helps me and all the silent spectators on the thread stay focused on the big picture.

Iā€™m making mistakes too. Just last week I took a pure revenge trade and toasted 2% for no good reason. I just sat there and thought to myself, ā€œis this really how I want to be trading when I need these profits to provide for my family?ā€ . So I bucked up and went into this week re-focused and driven to maintain patience and consistency according to the setups Iā€™ve been trained to take.

ā€¦

Thanks for that, six3six. I am looking forward to your follow upā€¦especially the part about mitigation. Maybe you could give some greater detail on which stock index and which commodity index you are monitoring?

Best regards