What Every New & Or Aspiring Forex Trader... Still Wants To Know

Well, it looks like it took til NY for price to get up there. Price bounced off MR1 and as its retracing up I’m seeing an OTE within and OTE within an OTE. In TT sell zone and pivot sell zone, but against 1h and 4h MF…I put a sell order at 1.5730 with a 25 pip S/L and I’ll look to take the bulk off at 30 pips just cause I’m not super confident. Looks like price is turning at the moment to head south, but we shall see. Either way, it should be a great day today, seeing as its the first day of Christmas and all : )

Blue rectangle is OTE from high on the 18th to low on the 25th

Merry Christmas!

Matty

Hey gbl83. Great minds think alike, right? ; )

haha that must seriously have been a the exact same time!

Good luck!

I believe if it’s a bearish divergence like that in interest rates, then we expect the dollar to follow the interest rates and go down also, if the I.R. rates are bullish, then dollar should follow sometime after

Christmas starts at 11pm est; just relaying the twitter message. So no need to stalk this thread all day like I do.:53:

And 11pm est everynight for the next 25 days for that matter!:smiley:

I was looking for the same thing, but with the fib you have drawn you are giving yesterdays highs the importance and sl should be placed there, not just 20 pips above your entry. Hopefully u got filled at newyork and the trade should be working with you right now, but another ote was present at nyo. You may have not got the 40 level but close and a fib could have been drawn with a more appropriate sl. Higher Timeframe analysis for the setup, lower timeframe for the entry; at least thats what I am getting from the lessons.

Good analysis but a tight 20pip stop not where u were drawing your fib from.

The thing that really helped me get my head around the SMT was Sweetpips simple “when highs diverge, price goes down, when lows diverge, price goes up”.

Use the SMT to indicate a bullish or bearish divergence. Then trade the pair thats offering up the best technicals

Same thing for me Hunter…don’t remember if it was in this thread, or the original ICT thread (after 2 weeks…still reading my way through the threads and watching videos). But it was her post that made it click for me with clarity.

Sweetpips…if you read this…Thanks for the simple mantra.

Thanks Fury,

I didn’t really like the flat 20 pip stop either, but I didn’t know what to do since had I placed the stop above yesterday’s high that you are referring to, it would have been over 40 pips!

I did get filled and price did bounce right at my short, and I have yet to be stopped out! (nearly did) :slight_smile:

Trade update for my short this morning on the cable.

Price started to go down in NY but bounced back up within 1/2 a pip of my SL but then dropped down nicely in LC. Price dropped so fast I didn’t catch it at 30 pips…scaled off 1/2 at 40 pips, and then decided to take the rest off at 50 as we had retraced way more than the 38% of the daily range thus far. I was tempted to leave 1/2 on as I am still expecting price to go down a lot farther. But I’m trying to work on my greed/self control and should be thrilled with 40/50 pips on the trade. Also, after what happened yesterday, I’m just a bit wary of the market. Done trading for the week.

Knowing when to take profits is still one of the hardest things for me. Anyone wanna comment on their general rules for profit taking, I’d love to hear other people’s thoughts. Thanks.

Matty

So I don’t really get the whole turtle soup pattern. I mean, after price did what it did, I recognized it was a turtle soup pattern, but how do you trade it? How do you know when its gonna be a turtle soup vs an OTE. Seems like the turtle soup forms when the OTE fails to form. Or is it a pattern you just jump in after the fact? Seems like it’d be hard to set a pending order for this pattern…and where would you place your stops? I’m just glad I didn’t get knocked out by the turtle. Where are you looking to take final profits Artificial? I’m already out at 50 pips, but I could easily see it going lower if we are looking for it to hit the 100% from the higher time frame fib.

Matty

My first profit target is always a flat 30 pips. In terms of secondary profit objectives, I’m not very good at selecting them… This is probably the aspect of my game that needs the most work.

In this trade, I took secondary profits at 60 pips, in the equilibrium point of the bear flag formation. Again, I’d rather lock in a profit now, then speculate further extensions when I’m not at all experienced in that aspect. This was a higher time frame trade and potentially a nice intermediate term high, in which case it could be more of a position trade. I’m not comfortable enough to judge that so I’m out.

First off, well done on the trade. Per ICT’s advice a while ago regarding profit-taking: “I would take 30% off at 30 pips… 30% at 100% of the swing your Fib is drawn from… and let the remaining ride for the 127% split the rest at 127% and “reach” for the 162% with a stop just under 127%…”

Don’t forget to have a plan for moving your stop up (where necessary) as you reach for various profit targets. One way to do this could be based on 15min swing highs and lows.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply Sladha, but what about when you have a larger time frame move to consider, like today? We are looking at an OTE in an OTE, so which 100% fib are you taking profits? If I would used the fib of the actual move I used to enter it would’ve been only like 35 pips, and if I used the 100% fib from the daily high to low (which is what I was eyeing last night before LO then it’s a 95 pip move I’m waiting for before I take second profits. I always try to take off some at 30, but I feel very indecisive after that.

Another area I’m confused is when we have a true LC trade outside the ADR, I know ICT mentioned the 38% retrace meant of the daily high to low, so how do you factor that in to the 30 pips/100%/127%/162% strategy?

Matty

With regards to the first part of your query, the advice I outlined previously applies to the the smaller timeframe swing in which you entered from. So if 35 pips is at the 100% mark, I think you should still take a portion off there. Keep in mind that when a swing develops, the 100% mark is a potential support level. The 100% mark shows that price, at one point (even if it was a few minutes ago), had a reaction that sparked a retrace. Therefore, this level becomes somewhat important and you want to make sure you’ve secured some profit if it were to reach there again. Also, remember that ICT recommends 40-pip minimum swings for ideal OTE setups.

Regarding the LC trade outside the ADR, ICT had mentioned that an LC trade is often a counter trend scalping opportunity. Consider the time of day and when liquidity gets thin in the market. I recall him saying that for intraday moves, he doesn’t like to hold onto positions after the 18:00 GMT candle. Given this, once you assume an LC trade, I wouldn’t be expecting long, sustained moves although that happens sometimes. At LC, you should probably be happy with 20-30 pips. After that, treat it like a bonus. Bearing this in mind, for LC, I’d probably take the majority of my trade off at 20-30 pips, if not all of it, and the rest split at an extension before the 38% daily retrace at which point exit the trade. I don’t typically trade the London Close, but this is what makes sense to me.

At the end of the day, everyone has his/her own strategy, and I’d also be interested in hearing theirs.

Thanks, appreciate your thoughts.

Matty

Hi Matty44

This is a challenge for me as well. To me, this is what separates professionals from amatures. I read somewhere that there’s a theory that people spend way too much time focusing on entry signals, and not enough time on exits and risk management. To demonstrate that, I believe there was a study done where a guy used a coin flip to determine if he would go long of short. But was profitable from proper risk and exit management. Entries aren’t what makes a trader profitable. Managing risk and exits are.

Personally, I’m working on this to get my own comfort. I’ll share this as ideas of an evolving process, and not something set in stone as it is fairly fluid. So these are general principles.

Basic principles:

• Think of every trade as a scalp trade and a trend trade (with the exception of Asian Sunday whiplash). You can have a bias towards a scalp, or trend…but manage exits with this in mind.
  • After a reasonable period, take profits and move stop loss to break even. This removes risk taking the fear out of the equation because you have money in the bank and won’t lose.
  • I’m thinking of approaching exits like baseball. Shoot for singles, doubles, triples, and homeruns.
  • Evaluate win versus loss % of trades to tune the numbers I’ll share below.

Now for specifics…again…these are still conceptual and I haven’t set it in stone yet.

I started following this thread 2 weeks ago and right now I am experience a 70% win rate. I’ll write another post to lay out my struggles and things I’m doing well in a later post. But right now, I’m around 66-70% win rate. That means a 30-34% lose rate. Or…another way to look at it, For every loss, I get about 2 wins.

Assuming I enter a trade with a standard 30 pip SL…

I am looking at taking about 50% off the trade when it hits 30 pips and consider moving SL to BE If I risked 2% on the trade, that means I bank 1% of my account equity and risked 2%. If i continue to win trades at a 2:1 ratio (counting a trade that I hit my “single” as a win), that means for every loss of 2% on a losing trade, I make 2% on singles (1% on a single, but win at a 2:1 rate resulting in 2% on singles) or cover my losses with singles.

For most trades…the “single” will be about the location I drew my fib from on the retracement to identify the OTE.

I’m looking at a double to be the 1.27% extension, a triple the 200% (which is the same as extending the fib to put the 50% on the reference point of the fib used to determine the OTE). And a home run which would come from top down analysis. This would be a 268% extension or more of intermediate term swings. Something along these lines. At a double, take an additional 15% off the trade of the origianl amount. This would mean I have 35% of the original trade left. And look to let it run. The triple take off amount at 20%, and 15% going for the homerun.

Basically, with my singles…offset my losses. Then my doubles, triples and homeruns are what makes the account equity grow. My hope/goal is that the gains from triples/homeruns will result in greater returns than if I just try to hit singles, or go with a 2 step exit strategy (which would be going for singles and doubles in my analogy).

Other things I’m considering baking into my exit strategy…

• perform top down analysis and determine if I’m entering this trade in the direction of top down, long term analysis, or a trade counter trend to long term top down analysis. If you’ve watched ICT’s webinar from last Monday (I’m about 1.5 hours through it but find it awesome)…IMHO, on the cable, nothing has changed in terms of long term direction being short. Even though market flows are up on 4 hour and 1 hour as I write this…if I was to take a long at this point, I would view it as a counter trent trade. Long term market structure still points to a bear cable as no ITH or LTH have been pierced to the upside on a 4 hour chart. Most recent ITL, and LTL are broken point to bearish market.

Given the above…I’m looking to incorporate this into my thinking where, for a trade consistent with long term market structure, the homerun would be an extension of the intermidate term/long term fibs regardless of where I enetered. That means if I enter a OTE trade in the middle of a retrace, it might be going for much more than 268% of the fib I drew for my OTE…but the 268% of a much larger fib resulting in greater returns.

If I enter a counter market structure trade (IE…long in cable at this point), my homerun might be a 62% retracement level where I would expect price to turn to head back in the direction of the long term market structure. Another way I’m thinking about approaching this is too adjust the percentages of scaling out. If I think I am counter market structure trend, increase the percentage I take off at the single level. nd be more agressive getting it out and leave only 10% on the homerun. At some point, the long term structure will change to bullish and then I might have a little something on the table to let it run with that.

Hopefully this makes sense…kinda longer than i expected and something I am definately toying with. I’m trying to balance making the exit strategy too complex, with addressing the urge to not feel like I missed out on a big move by exiting too early and leaving money on the table.

I’m doing some analysis now on my trades…since I don’t have a definitive approach to try yet and it’s changing, I don’t have a lot of hisorical trades to evaluate with a specific plan (and also have been trading ICT’s tools for only 2 weeks).

Since a lot of “wins” are singles (meaning you get your 30 pips, take 50% off, but 75% retraces and hits the stop that was moved to BE). This makes a lot of trades look like poor R/R ratios. It’s a .25 R/R which appears pretty bad to have quite a few trades like that. However, I have several bigger trades that have mush higher R/R.

This week for example, I took 9 trades. 6 winners 3 losers.

On my 3 losers…2 have a R/R of -1 and 1 trade with -.24 (The -.24 trade should have been a profitable trade, but had a bad setting in the MT4 Expert advisor (EA) and it didn’t close right so it’s a loss due to user error).

On my 6 winners…3 of them have R/R ranging from .4 to .6. 1 have R/R of 1. 1 has a R/R of 1.7. and 1 has a R/R of a little over 5. (I actually have a component of 1 trade still running for a homerun that is very profitable and will make these numbers look even better when I close it out).

Overall, I had a 3.5% equity increase in my account (and when my current homerun closes, it might be over 4%).

While I am very pleased with this result (it’s a profit for the 3rd consecutive week now), I look at it an say…If I had taken all my money off the table at the “single” level (I.E. shot for a 1:1 R/R), I would have increased about 6%. So I need to work on consistency, formalizing the exit plan, managing where to move stop losses as I run for triples and homeruns and striving to make a week like this pan out higher.

If you read this far and understand what I’m saying…congratulation. It’s a tough topic.

Once I formalize my baseball exit approach, I’ll post what I’m attempting and see if I can improve on consistency and trade exit manamgent to result in higher Risk/Reward.

Just a long winded way of saying…exits are a tough thing. I think ICT’s appraoch to take 30 or 70% off at 30 pips and let some run is great. But each trader needs to take the tools ICT gives us and make them their own and this is part of that exercise that I am underway on tackling. Personally…I need to know that I have something to shoot for the monster 300-900 pip gains…even if on a small % of the trade. That’s exciting to me and scalping alone makes me feel like I’m missing out. So trying to customize the tools and guidelines ICT has provided and making them my own.

Others may be fine hitting singles day in day out and not get mad if they “miss the big one”. If you have the psychology for that…great. If not…what I’m looking at might be something you can take and make your own as well.

Learnin - That’s a brilliant post buddy. You are learning a profitable method, learning how to make it work for you, and learning about what you need psychologically all in one. Awesome. This type of process, IMO, is the seed of all real trading growth and success.

Kudos

Jay

I can only add this for the LC, on a range day bank your 20-30 pips, maybe let one lot run if you feel lucky. On a Z day, you can let your trade run because these days can be very profitable. Just watch the fib from the other direction because you won’t always get 100% retracement.

Does anyone remember the date of the video where ICT explains Zdays, how to identify, etc… I think it was fairly recently (since summer), but my age is catching up to me.