What Every New & Or Aspiring Forex Trader... Still Wants To Know

Hi MCAWally,

Thanks for the new links and the files. I think I have located the issue with the PivotDailyMacro. The P4L Clock file downloads just fine because it is a .mq4 file. The PivotDailyMacro file, however, does not open because it is a .ex4 file. I believe this should also be a .mq4 file. Therefore, if you could find some time to post a link to a .mq4 file, this should be resolved, finally! Thanks again for your help.

Hi dkm88,

This is what I was trying to explain to you earlier.

As I said, the ex4 files are the compiled versions of the raw code in the mq4 files. MT4 will automatically convert an mq4 file to ex4 at runtime. Some indicator authors only distribute ex4 files because they don’t want the mql code made public.

Just save the file into you experts\indicators folder. There is no need to open anything.

Good luck.

Ahh, better late than never, as the saying goes. I saw the light (!) apmonster, you were correct. It is working fine. Thanks for your help. :slight_smile:

No probs, glad you got it in the end mate :slight_smile:

And there it is at the 1.271. Monthly high at 1.6276, which is also ADR high, so may well make a move to that during NY…

Edit: Looks like the market ran out of steam and people decided to take profit instead. Here’s to Monday…

Hail ICT I’m a fully paid up follower (well I would be if it wasn’t free:D) of your methods.

I’m a great one for check lists and this is a check list of the perfect ICT type trade. Please have a look over it folks as I may have the odd concept back to front and missed some points. No particular order except the first couple of points.

Example for a SHORT GU set up:

1.Check/note S/R levels, actual then implied- previous daily, weekly, monthly Hs/Ls. Actual drawn S/R levels by observation, session Hs/Ls, institutional levels. Fibs, pivots.

1. Market flow down on daily, 4hr and 1hr.

3.Swing high retracment around London open or NY open (minimum 40 pips) to between 62% and 79% fib level. Price above the daily mid pivot (sell zone).

4.C.O.T is net long for USD and net short GBP. Commercials

5.O.I decreasing on USD and increasing on GBP. This signal is valid after down move in G/U followed by consolidaton, then O.I. decrease is usd bullish.

1. US Bond yeilds up.

2. Sentiment guaged by Williams’ Percent range set at 14, over brought,ie between zero and -20 (not sure about this one).

8.I think as we’re trading a strong trend here I don’t want to see divergence with the EU, correct?

9.US dollar index bullish.

Obviously we’re not going to see all these confluences at once:D but for theoretical purposes what have I missed (Michaels’ principle only) and what have I mixed up?

Thanks so much for this thread Micheal I feel very lucky to have caught it just at the right time in my trading education.

One question for you Micheal, I know S/R trumps market flow but all S/R levels are not created equal. You regularly use mid pivots and yesterday R3 which I assumed (I should never assume) would be weaker than full pivots, institutional levels and even market flow. Do you have favoured S/R levels or do you try to watch what price is doing around all these potential S/R levels?

Long post sorry:o

sure i agree,
i guess we r at the point ‘‘what to look at’’…the funny thing about fx is,there is so much we can look at and pay attention to. its just the right combo we choose that works for us,

regarding when u mentioned the pivot and trade to it or of it.
i ll try to attach 2xpics, but as i am new in the blog dont know if they allow me to//i ll try//.
yesterday intraday high //shooting star 1.6145//,R turned into S to the pip, i threw it on 15 m and with that hammer? the level got noticed. and from there to me its about taking chances //fib from yest low few pips to 38.2, we can find few things that coincides//,same with breaking asian high,R turned into S, price came back to kiss it to carry on //news boosted it though-keeping it trending// ,bewaring the daily R is just in front of us… just sitting lately trying to incorporate the ict’s knowledge, choosing the right combo of flavors to snatch my cake from the market, i hope :slight_smile: beside its friday, maybe a bit reserved for this day and totally agree with the news to sit it out.
looking forward to read all contributions on this blog to learn more.
hope i dont sound as a smart alec, but if i do i shut up and will just watch :wink:
regards to all

Yeah nice pics George, nice check-list as well!! My main question is with regards tp the Pivot i.e. doesn price HAVE to be in the Sell Zone or a Sell, and vice versa - if not, when does it not matter?

This is my take on it:

No, price doesn’t HAVE to be in the right buy or sell zone to make a trade. But…

If you’re going long and the price is in the buy zone, or if you’re going short and the price is in the sell zone, you have additional weight to support your trading decision. It becomes a higher probability trade.

If the market flow is very positive in one direction or another, I will give less weight to buy and sell zones. So if directional bias is strongly upwards, I won’t worry so much about going long if the price is in the sell zone, just as long as everything else looks in place for a high-probablity trade (s/r levels, optimal entry etc). Bear in mind that once breached, pivot resistance levels (R1/MR1 etc) can become support. Vice-versa for pivot support levels.

If the market flow is less clear (and this has been the case quite a lot lately), I will give a lot more credence to buy and sell zones. A lot more. To be honest, unless I’m very confident of the market’s directional bias, I will only buy in buy zone and sell in sell zone. I’m not saying that this is a ‘must do’ though… it’s based on my level of confidence in using the tools at this stage of my development.

In one video, ICT referred to trades as being either ‘trend trades’ or ‘pivot trades’. This is really my interpretation of what he meant by that.

By the way, this is my understanding only and definitely not an authoritative answer! :slight_smile: Be happy to hear others’ thoughts.

Yes that sounds good Dave, and was pretty much what I was thinking. Did you take any trades today?

Hi Shandy

No I’ve been out most of the day and generally try to avoid Fridays anyway. Looks like a good long opportunity earlier though, once price had settled after that news release. Just looking at the charts now, I did notice a strong divergence with EURUSD from about 0730 to 1200 GMT. Then Euro rocketed up nearly 100 pips.

‘‘If the market flow is very positive in one direction or another, I will give less weight to buy and sell zones. So if directional bias is strongly upwards, I won’t worry so much about going long if the price is in the sell zone, just as long as everything else looks in place for a high-probablity trade (s/r levels, optimal entry etc). Bear in mind that once breached, pivot resistance levels (R1/MR1 etc) can become support. Vice-versa for pivot support levels.’’

my opinion as well

dont really know how to quote yet :wink:
nice weekend to all

this is a really great messageboard and the resources all free is unparallel in my searching for understandable teaching and not a lot of hard terms and hard to follow commentary. Im very glad Clint gave me a link to this messageboard the videos are awesome and it looks like it has brought together a bunch of really nice people with a good heart to help others like ICT is doing. Thank you Babypips and ICT for these lessons its really appriciated and has helped me with a lot of my goals. The ICT videos makes a lot of sense and I dont claim to be a bright guy only high school and a day job but I think this is really nice of a person to pour so much effort into helping without nothing but a thanks in return. Thats a rare thing todays time. Im just glad is all. I made a profit on demo account today and it was 25 pips and its really got me excited if this is all I have to do once a week to double my money. Heck in 10 years I cold really see some mula if it grows. I cant spend a lot of time and 25 pips was no trouble to make today like the video teached 7 am I looked for buy area and it went right up and got my exit on 25 pips. I cant smile enough thanks is all really thanks

A quick question for you, ICT. I’ve made little numbers to index the areas of interest here.

1: It’s Friday, and NY is about to close. It will reach S2 in that time and have a bit of time to react after it. I place a pending order to sell at #2.

2: Rough location of sell order.

3: Around this area (a bit above ms2) I set the order to take profit.

The logic being that price often bounces off pivots, coupled with the fact that it’s Friday and everyone wants to get out of their open positions before the weekend. I ended up bagging an easy ~25 pips off it. Is this a smart trade, one that will often be a winner, or am I missing something?

Thanks!

1: It’s Friday, and NY is about to close. It will reach S2 in that time and have a bit of time to react after it. I place a pending order to sell at #2.

2: Rough location of sell order.

3: Around this area (a bit above ms2) I set the order to take profit.

The logic being that price often bounces off pivots, coupled with the fact that it’s Friday and everyone wants to get out of their open positions before the weekend. I ended up bagging an easy ~25 pips off it. Is this a smart trade, one that will often be a winner, or am I missing something?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Well played LS1 I tried that one but had my S/L too tight above R2 and thought it would be a real low risk opportunity following London close, I only allowed about 10 pips to S/L which was a bit silly and got hit. Nice exit aswell mate as price hit MR2 and then bouced back to R2 at the end of the day. Odd that? So even if I’d not hit my stop I might not have exited until R1. (More than 30 pips, Greedy me).

You’re brave! There are quite a few things that could go wrong that close to the markets close but still a good trade :p. Where was your stop?

Edit:

Thanks for posting those times to look for trades ICT, I think that will really help me out both in finding the correct trades and in over trading which is something I’m still working on.

Stop was about 12 pips above my order.

I checked the cftc’s CoT weekly report and noticed the GBP commercials nearly doubled their net short position to ~66,000 contracts. Looking at that chart from your CoT video, I noticed the “smart money” commercial traders haven’t been this short in as far back as your chart shows (to 2008).

Now I know this doesn’t mean the market’s going to turn on a dime, especially since the data is 3 days old already, but if the smart money really is [B]smart[/B] money then they must have some good reasons to believe the price is going to fall in the near future.

so my idea to use this, is to wait for williams%R (market sentiment for free :smiley: ) to start falling and looking for short swings, knowing that I’m being backed by the bias of the commercial “smart money”.

how does that sound?

That’s exactly what I thought too…only starting last week…lol. However like you commented, it doesn’t turn on a dime and last week still presented more long opps than short. But now that they’re even more bearish and a major resistance of 1.6300 area is only 70ish pips away, I’ve got a pending short order there anyways. It’s a 12mon rolling high, and a swing high from back in Oct/Nov.

Sounds good to me too. :slight_smile: