What Every New & Or Aspiring Forex Trader... Still Wants To Know

Wow, what a night for the Cable! I set a pending order long 2 hours before London open, got tripped and rode 100 pips up! Sl was at 1.6090, entered at 1.6120. Looks like it’s gonna be a stress free week for me now. =) Obviously luck was on my side, because of the news released, I just happened to get lucky is my guess. Since the Fiber was steadily dropping…

Back to London Close setups…
Alishijo, since your ADR is set to GMT +1, what pairs are current over ADR right now?
I’m currently looking at the Cable setup, as well as EUR/GBP. The GBP/JPY is over ADR, but I don’t think a set up is likely on it right now.

Regards,
Clark.

Another question pop into my head as i was digesting ICT’s method, anyone thought of using the NY pivot and London pivot to test for confluent? Similar to when we look for confluent between Fib, pivots, int level and S/R etc.

I was more or less fed up with thinking of using which one so thought of why not using both. In theory, for confluent of both pivots will mean both US and london traders are monitoring that level and likely to have more support/resistance in that level?

Hehe just a nuub thought and thinking about u guys’ views on it.

I don’t follow you here mate, the different times will give different pivots, no confluence. Unless you mean, say todays R1 GMT might be coincident with yesterdays MR1 EST for example, but I don’t think this helps us much. Have I got the wrong idea, I won’t be surprised:5:

Lately I’ve been using GMT pivots because, at a glance, price seems to be respecting them more. A quick check between the two shows this, which I do as part of my morning preparation and a quick look before entering a trade.

Today no ones pivots were respected:20: Well to be fair there was a nice reversal at S2 on fiber with GMT set.

Hey Mc, I do that all the time. Confluence of GMT and New York pivots that are <15 pips apart will make that price level quite strong and just may hold better since both London and New York traders will see them. I believe this Monday the CPP were very close to eachother, almost the same. I find that quite significant in my analysis. :slight_smile: And like Jaroon has said, if you zoom out and see a confluence of pivots on your chart, that price level may hold quite well.

Hope that helps!

Regards,
Clark.

PS, I will try posting some examples when I can. :slight_smile:

If you load the indicator twice and adjust for the different times, once in a while some pivots will align vey closely.
The only thing is, the chart becomes very messy to look at if you leave it all on there.

edit: (what Clark said)

Yeah can you believe it? It’s amazing what people will do for money.

I agree, I think there is confluence potential among the 2 pivot methods. I load them both up on the same chart, and I don’t use that chart for anything but pivot analysis so it doesn’t get too cluttered. It looks hectic at first, but I got used to it after a few days and now I’d definitely say it’s giving me an edge. Knowing what 2 groups of traders are watching simultaneously just makes sense to me! The GMT pivots are invaluable if you are looking at asian session trades because they are “fresh” for Tokyo Open, then by London Open you’ve got NY pivots at your disposal

They are usually pretty close together, but when they are almost on top of each other, I will definitely give that level some extra attention!

Check out that measured move. This is what continually stuns me about ICT’s fib extension techniques. It’s just so obvious that the big players are watching those levels too!

The fib is pulled from friday’s locomotive-style rally, and you can see the 1.27 extension making some nice calls for monday’s price action.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

okay enough with my post-hogging, GLGT all!

This setup is exactly what he went through in his last video. An explosive move up, consolidation/sideways move so likelyhood continued move up. Just like the previous example we had a short OTE setup as well, a base est under that price action (look back to 3/24 and 3/17 and what do you see?). Too bad I didn’t see the video before today.

I like the way you have dispensed with the actual Fib % and made them ‘OTE’ and ‘STOP 10+’ ‘partial T/P’ etc. Is that just to illustrate your point here, or do you keep those on permanently? I think I will start doing that as I know what the % are by now, and it will further anchor me down to the OTE trades with a firm reminder of the 10 pip SL rule. Thanks.

OK, so ICT was requesting charts aswell as emotional and psychological feedback…this is his payment for the hard work he is putting in. I am more than happy to oblige.

We have had two London Close sessions so far this week, and I have taken NO trades. This is because the PRICE action was too flat on Monday and thus didn’t meet my ADR requirements, and was too strong on Tuesday which meant I was unwilling to stand in the way of a raging bull! I will post the Cable chart that I was looking at last night, and take you through what I was seeing and thinking.

As soon as I set up my charts I could see that GBPUSD, GBPJPY, and EURGBP were all contenders as they were beyond their ADRs. However, as you can see from an earlier post which I made just before the start of ‘Kill Zone’, I was warning people to be wary of such strong PRICE action. My reason for this…I had taken a trade that looked exactly the same as this about a month ago, and although it met all of the LC criteria, ICT came on the next day with his PTC and said that ‘this kind of strong PRICE action is not suitable for a LC counter trend trade’.

I knew that, but I still scouted the set-up looking for it to meet the LC criteria. Why? Well I had the words of wisdom from ICT and my previous experience saying one thing on my left shoulder (don’t trade), and the ‘Greed Devil’ saying the opposite on my right shoulder. I think the ‘Greed Devil’ thrives on what is intrinsically part of all of us in varying degrees, a lack of self-control.

So I look at my Cable trade, see it over the ADR but note it is way over the ADR (60 pips over). We have also run out of pivots at this level! Anyway, price comes down past 20% of the daily pip total. My Fib is drawn…I’m still in two minds. I note the Institutional level of 6250 bang on the center line between 79% and 62%. There is also resistance from earlier in the session at this exact level. Another poster who was in the chat room suggested that we were also in the OTE on the daily chart for a move DOWN. So here I am with a viable set-up (if it weren’t for the strong action) looking at PRICE now trade back up to OTE entry.

The ‘Devil’ is saying get in at 50 or 55. Experience is saying remember the last one…it was a carbon copy of today’s action and you blew it! So I see a strong candle come up, but I am watching the ‘Bar Left’ Indy on the P4L clock and vow that I won’t do anything until the bar closes. I will then watch where the next bar is going before jumping on it. So the bar actually continues up and closes just above 79%, with the next bar continuing up a little further. This is enough for me to sit back and take my finger away from the trigger. And we are not talking a lot of difference over and above 79% retracement…4 pips…but that was enough for me to say ‘No thanks’ until I saw where it was going next.

Well price came back down onto the mid-point of OTE, but remember this was also resistance from earlier in the session, and so I was interested to see if this was going to act as support. It did, and that was the signal for price to head up to the initial high. Would it be a Fake-out? Maybe, but I didn’t want to trade the Fake-out because, although I know it is a viable set-up (refer to ICT post ‘The $ Stops Here’), it is not part of my trading plan at this time.

So, I sit and watch it break the old high by two pips, but still it doesn’t want to come down past the point at which I was looking for OTE (prior resistance turned support). This is where I start looking at the 127% level and thinking it is heading up there…there was other resistance up there in the form of a previous weekly high? monthly high?..can’t remember, but it was noted. PRICE came off 127% but only as far as the initial high this time…so it is trading these small ranges, then moving up to a another range, trading this range for 30-50minutes, and moving up again. This is exactly what ICT mentioned in the last PTC, and asked us to look for it on the 5M. There it is!

PRICE then continues up to 162% retracement from the swing low OTE Fib, trades the area between 162% and 127% through the end of LC Kill zone, and stays in this range for pretty much the rest of the NY session. Once it breaks up from the 162% it trades between that and the 179% right through into Asia, before moving up to the 262% level which is where we are at right now. Fibtastic folks! And remember, these levels are only produced by pulling the Fib off the day’s high as it was at NY open, and the swing low just before LC Kill zone. Regardless of what happened in the London morning session, NY traders were determined to make the session their own, and that is why LC rules were not respected.

So there you have it. I made no gain, but more importantly I didn’t take the loss. This was an excellent learning opportunity in terms of self-control, and I think that was our challenge for this week.

GLGT!

P.S. The last time we had action like this…well, we had 3 very strong up days in a row. That is not a prediction, just thinking aloud!

I keep them on all the time, yeah it does help having those little reminders right there on the chart.

Optimal entry of yesterdays move in the cable and a reminder why its so important to look at the longer term time frames;)

Looks like probability of 50/50 was in my favour and the price did reach R1 yesterday and even slightly higher as of now. But price did move downwards for less than 30 pips before shooting up (due to US news i suppose). So basis ICT methods of usually 30 pips stoploss, the stoploss will not be triggered.

Anyway looks like today price will wanna push for 4th Nov 2010 high of 1.4280 around and even 1.43 level? Also wanna mention the beautiful trendline from 9th Jan 2011 till now on the daily charts so looks like trend traders are holding the support level basis the trendline as well.

Anyone having similar or even different views?? Hope to see u guys’ views today as well.

Hi mate, i was thinking along the line similar to ClarkFX and Akeakamai. Not sure whether what level is considered confluent though. Of course if the pivots are exactly on same level then will be good but truth is that we will very seldom get that so am not sure what level to be considered confluent. ICT’s usual 15 pips range? or perhaps shld be lower around 10 pips range.

And Akeakamai, yeah i am opening 2 pivots at same time now. So when price is approaching say NY and London R1, i am looking at which pivot having more confluent with int level, fibs and S/R. If NY pivot having more confluent, logically it will hold as compared to London pivot.

Once again just a newbie thoughts. Hehe

Oh and Alishijo to post a image on your post,the way i do it is take a screen shot,paste in paint and then save as a JPEG file not a PNG file (For some reason i dont think it uploads that format?),then upload to photobucket,copy the link and paste in the insert image option.

I then think if you under a certain amount of posts the image has to be verified by a moderator before it will be shown? So give it some time and see what happens.

Don’t have Paint for some reason! Any other ways of doing it? Still annoyed :frowning:

Well i never heard of that:33: Im sure paint comes with all windows.
start >all programs>accessories> paint
maybe you overlooked it?

Otherwise off the top of my head, you can download a program like GIMP and take a screenshot as per the process with paint and paste and save as a JPEG.Then upload to photobucket copy the link and place in the post in the insert image tab.

How do you save the picture to photobucket at the moment?

Regards Shaun

Absolutely right, Shauun, thanks a lot. I was doing start>search>Microsoft Paint and it was delivering zip. Got it now, so hopefully I’m in business.

Thanks again for your time.

Going to set-up the chatroom with a different password tonight because it seems that ‘ICT Traders’ is causing some problems (The pass is case sensitive and as it doesn’t reveal what you are writing, it is difficult to know if you have made a typo).

So the details:

Chatroom name: London Close
Password: ict (note it is NOT capitalized)