What Every New or Aspiring FX Trader Wants To Know

Hey there fellow traders,

From my somewhat myopic observations, as I only used one chart, namely the GBP/JPY on an hourly timeframe, I seem to have made somewhat of an observation, although I am not too sure I will be able to effectively put it into words, and do not have the time to attach and edit charts, as I have some Mathematics homework to finish up for tomorrow. :stuck_out_tongue:

However, what I can see is that for a large bullish price swing:

-The price is either stable or slowly, consistently moves downwards before giving the large bullish upturn.

For large bearish price swing:

-The price is either stable or slowly, consistently moves upwards before giving the large bearish downturn.

These are only my observations at a glance, and would be very shocked if they were somewhat along the lines of what InnerCircleTrader is talking about.

:slight_smile:

Regards,
xXTrizzleXx

Do you consider candle formations a kind of indicator?..some do…lol

No I would refer to them as patterns. Indicators by my own definition mind you are moving averages, oscillators, etc…

But the answer to the riddle is in the Price Action… last clue. :stuck_out_tongue:

I see [U]really long wicks[/U] at one end…either at the bottom of the ones at the start of a new upswing, and top ones at the start of a new down swing…?

I would agree with sweet pip. All I see are long wicks.

great info again ICT, really enjoying, this is by far the best thread out there on any forum. This is the real deal. Thank you.

just cant get my head around this one:

my question is how can price start out trading above the PDH at midnight New York, when we have just calculated our pivots from the previous day high and low at that time?

thanks, and i agree with the others about the long wicks, making traders jump on the break, false, and then quickly trapping them.

Glad to see the positive feedback and I find myself excited for you all and your futures.

Okay turn your attention to last Thursday night New York time. We made a daily High on Thursday prior to Midnight Friday. This is what is meant by starting under Previous Days High. By Midnight Friday we had traded off the Thursday High made prior to Friday Midnight New York time.

Remember Midnight starts a new day for me in my methods.

Hope this clears it up for you. :slight_smile:

The Trades You Make & The Stops They Take:

Well, we all understand sound trading requires the use of Protective Stops to limit our loss on a losing trade. How much thought do you put on placing those Stop Orders? My guess is not much like most traders… they determine the percentage or dollar amount of their account they are willing to lose on any particular trade and divide this into Pips and use this as a means of Stop Placement.

I humbly submit this concept for your review and future consideration. When was the last time you placed a trade to buy a pair only to see it trade to your Stop and knock you out of the market and spooking your nerves and you abandon your trade analysis and stare right at the chart as it turns 180 degrees and goes precisely where you traded it initially. Sound familiar?

Change Titles For Entries and Exits:

Before you place a trade, either buying or selling, your analysis should be accurate on direction. This might be assuming much if you are new to Technical Analysis… however, we are going with this understanding. You want to ask yourself if you were a Market Maker and your job is to provide liquidity in the markets… where would the resting Protective Stops be in the current market condition?

Every Swing down in price has a swing high it is anchored to and rest assured the Buy Stops on the Bears are right at or just above this Swing High. Markets are always prone to retrace and even modest retracements and retests in price are normal, but we can use this event to nail down superb trade entries.

You need to think like a Market Maker and trade right into the Stops. This flies right into the face of typical “Sell after it turns down” and “Buy after it turns up“. Your analysis should have you trading at a Key Price level be it Support or Resistance, when it reaches this level. There should be at least a bounce in price if not an outright reversal all together. So do not be fearful of trading right into opposing trade direction.

Covering The Dealer’s Spread & Getting Your Profits Closer:

By entering into retests of known highs and lows and limiting in just beyond them is an excellent way of reducing Stop risk and allowing you to trade more lots without going over your percentage per trade risk. Not to mention, you will see the Dealer’s Spread will be covered faster since you are entering in the direction opposite of your intended trade direction. Sounds scary doesn’t it? Therein lies the silver lining.

It is this fear factor that makes the Market Makers the “bad guys”. Do you call the waiter the bad guy for taking your money to purchase that fine dinner? He is just doing his job, after all, so is the Market Maker. His job is to pair orders together and provide liquidity.

Swing Highs at Key Levels are always sold short by aggressive Bears and scalpers… and these traders are considered the early birds. While it can be said, the early bird gets the worm, it is the second mouse that gets the cheese!

Professional traders like to trade a retest and look for the stops to be blown out and you eventually see a price rejection occur and this is noted by a rapid move in price away from the level stops were suspected to be “hiding” at.

This price rejection is confirmation that your trade is likely to pay off and pay off handsomely. Look at your charts and study when highs were retested right before a dramatic slide and 90% chance you will see this phenomenon occur. It goes untraded by thousands of novice and unlearned traders and maybe these same traders were in right at the previous high… and because of fear they rushed their stops to one pip or two just above the Swing High fearing being stopped out.

They want to keep a close stop… then liquidity takes their stop and they watch the price slide lower and lower and they suddenly feel sick they were right on the direction. So what do they do? They chase it and sell right into those beautiful red candles… only to find they sold the low and the vicious cycle begins. Sound familiar? Hello?

You want to plan your trade and plan your entry. This is what is meant by that trading proverb.

Take The Money & Run:

When you are in a profitable trade and are looking to take your profits and exit the move, consider exiting on the stops. Remember we looked for pockets of price where resting orders should be in the market with trader’s expecting protection from these “bad guys” out to get their accounts.

Had some luck trading but giving it back before exiting the move? We can use this same strategy to take gains. Look for levels under swing lows to buy back your shorts and look for swing highs to sell your longs. The exits will typically find you leaving the market with cash and the stop nests raided and traders on the other side left holding the bag.

Do Not Fear Trading Into Opposing Directions:

When you put your trade on, it too will require a protective stop. Make sure you trade against the intended direction of your trade to enter and look for pockets under your entry for the same pockets, so a stop raiding event doesn’t happen to your trade.

If you are buying into a Support level and you trusted it enough to put the trade on, what difference does it make if you buy in lower than you would have if you had waited for confirmation? Actually it is a big difference!

You will find your stops will be farther away from the market price and less likely to stop you out, since hopefully you were a patient Bull and waited for it to trade lower into a key support level. If you wait to see it bounce thinking of this as confirmation… you are right. It confirms you missed the low risk entry point that was just staring you right in the kisser in the form of a boldface red candle!

If you buy after the bounce you have the bounce in pips plus the initial support level and the risk under this level to consider as risk on your trade! This is not how it is done folks.

The reverse is said for shorting… you want the Resistance level to be solid enough to trust it going Bear tooth and claw right as it slams into the level in the form of a Bullish boldfaced candle. Practice doing this for a month or two in a Demo account and you will quickly see how you used to do it was opening yourself up to unnecessary risks and possibly overleveraging your account.

So Where Should Your Limits Be Placed?

Let’s assume the swing low price is retesting on your entry is 1.5520 and you want to buy the Cable using this smart money approach to entries. You could use a Limit at 1.5524 to 1.5520 or better. You have to remember the spread and this will be a factor in your trade. You want to capture the raid on the stops, but try not to be too fancy that you Limit too cheap and miss the move.

Basically, you want the Dealer’s Spread you will pay going into the trade to be covered at or under the Swing low price and conversely at or above the swing high price. Don’t be too greedy or frugal and fear taking on risk in the trade. You will still see price likely trade a few pips against you before covering the spread and lowering your blood pressure as it steadily moves in your direction.

If you miss the entry… chalk it up as study time. Unless you get a low risk Pivot entry higher up with supportive technicals converging at the same Pivot level. Chasing it never works… trade like a Professional.

So How Are Your Entries Confirmed?

Remember you’re entering right when the candle will be the most bearish looking on long entries and most bullish looking on short entries, this will be scary until you get used to trading the method. Your charts, when you look at them in hindsight have those powerful looking hammers with long wicks at either end. What do you suppose those hammers and long legged dojis were before forming?

Before those long wicks appear they are those boldfaced candles you entered at or near the extreme end of! Welcome to Professional Smart Money Entry folks!

Now do some maturing and review your past trades and see where you entered and how you might have been able to better place your orders to reduce risk, increase profit potential and cover the Dealer’s Spread more rapidly so you can start bringing those Protective Stops of yours closer to breakeven!

Think like a Professional. Good luck and Good trading!

Thank you very much, ICT. :slight_smile:

Again, you have confirmed my approach by answering my questions in your installments regarding Optimal Trade Entries.

When I got left behind with my Limit Entry Orders I NEVER chased price. I looked at it as a silly thing to do and never gave in to that temptation.

It is a pleasure for me to read your work. :slight_smile:

got it thanks:)

Nack in the entry diagram the silver horizontal line represents a key support or resistance level. The level is key because it finds at least three supporting reasons why price should react to that level.

Supporting factors that might find confluence at this same price level are:

daily highs and lows
Pivot level
monthly, weekly or daily s&r level
price patterns
candlestick formations
indicator divergence
fibonnaci levels and extensions
time of day (session openings-Asain, London, New York)
etc…

you are well on your way then friend… WTG :slight_smile:

Yes highs and lows on the longer term are meant by weekly, monthly s&r levels.

ANY combination of this list with minimum of three confluences, I would consider a trade on.

Indicator is last piece since its least important… :wink:

As a means of determining the long term trend and key support & resistance only. I trade intraday.

This is a weekly sentiment and Commitment of Traders chart I monitor. It aids my long term trend analysis for the Cable, and since it trades in the futures markets as the Pound futures contract, we can track the banks buying or selling and compare their actions to lesser informed traders.

This chart indicates we might be a key long term low… if we remain above last weeks low. Should this low fail to support prices we could be on track to retest the 2008 lows.

so I’ve wrote a little trading rule of thumb,

Enter long at support levels, into bearish momentum
Exit long at resistance levels, into bullish momentum

Enter short at resistance levels, into bullish momentum
Exit short at support levels, into bearish momentum

Do I have this all right? Followup question, is there ever any good reason to Enter INTO momentum, ie. a breakout play? or is that just a fools game, or just something you choose not to trade?

Thanks, I agree that the best entries are going to feel the most akward to take. That’s why only a small slice of the market gets them!

so what was the answer to the riddle? Long wicks?

I think the trigger is your pre-determined plan to open a position at that S/R level. This rule is just a little tool to help me remember to make efficient (low-risk) entries into my trade ideas. Just a piece of the puzzle

By travpip at 2010-03-15

that played out as ICT described almost perfectly.
problem was i did what he told us not to do!

1. i was short before any action, was having dinner, then returned to see price had shot up
  2. i quickly cut my loss as i was down 50pips
  3. rentered long chasing it, and i was up twenty pips looking for fridays high
  4. took a 15pip loss when price reveresed.
  5. reentered short and now gunning for thursdays high???

i have now ended up making about 50 pips, lucky i was, but my trade execution was terrible and i was just luckly to get out of my mess, and that was most likey due probably due to ICT’s insights that did i mange to salvage it
It was just as ICT described, I should of just waited and sold into that circle highlighted! - and now looking at the chart i should of hung on for a lot longer. Anyway we live and learn

Wow!..I think I’m excited for us too! Thank you :slight_smile:

I think I can see now what it was that I was doing right at the time I took my $1k demo account and turned it into $5k within a month, compounding 20 pips a trade. However, I didn’t really know why it was working, and later after trying it out for real I didn’t know why it stopped working. Now I think I do…I had it backwards and didn’t pay attention to key s&r levels from a little higher up…lol

I bolded your text that is causing me some confusion. So you say professional traders like to take the retest, so is it the most bullish/bearish part of the retest candle, or of the candle of the initial break/touch of the high/low? What do you mean by the swing low price is retesting on your entry…and you want to buy…that sounds like I’ve already entered? So moving stops up on the initial bounce is not recommended because of retests, so when is a good time to do that?..again that sounds like we entered a trade prior to the retest?

Or is this all happening on the same candle…then again I suppose the lower timeframes would show it over multiple candles?

:slight_smile: