What Every New or Aspiring FX Trader Wants To Know

Ok, ok, ok…lol. I will settle with it’s a beyond-scope-question answer…I just seemed to have had a hard time getting the question phrased right to begin with :smiley: …I’m just relieved that you understand my question, and that I’m not getting too you know what about it…lol.

Trav it didnt seem to care about the bearish flag when it hit S1, get my point now. It could have just as well turned at the price I was speaking of.

[B]1 or 2 trades a day, on 1 pair.[/B]

This nugget of gold is transformational.

What you get, when you do this is;
[ul]
[li]More focus on the setup you do actually trade. You’re only doing 1, so you better make it count.
[/li][li]When you screw up your trade, you are more likely to reflect on where you went wrong and what you would do differently next time. [B]This is where learning happens![/B]
[/li][li]You don’t go chasing losses, which is one of the big psych. pitfalls for new traders.
[/li][/ul]

I’m sure there are other benefits, but the main one for me is the chance to reflect on where you went wrong - which you won’t do as well if you have 4 or 10 other trades open on different pairs.

The best ideas are often the simplest.

Thanks ICT!

just my opinion, but it had broken out of the flag by the time it hit S1, and the round 1.5000 mark and the significant S&R level as highlighted by ICT, and also, the players could of been raiding the stops of people looking to go long of the level you highlighted, spooking the long players for the session. there is no hard and fast to it IMO. But your right it could of just as easy turned were you mentioned, it can do anything, just like it could of turned back down off the previous day high later on, but it broke through that and now that could act as support, might not too.

Exactly Trav, thats the point that needs nailed down for me is why. I would have taken the initial trade and got stopped out. I then would have taken a second trade at S1 and come up big. Its half gambling and half knowing where it will turn. I would rather atleast feel like I know what I am doing. :smiley:

it comes down to probabilities, and then taking the absolutely best. There is no bounce of yesterdays low, so that should of kept us out at that point, it cut straight through it, to the lower level, were we we get a bounce. Knowing that i should of been more prepared for the reversal, but i had blinkers on thinking it was going down further to S2 and beyond, i was even eyeing off last weeks low. I haven’t adjusted my live trading brain to these concepts even though i see how it works. It is coming to me but as my second train of thought at the moment
I get caught up in the momentum, i have to readjust my thinking.

Periodically, I will be jumping in to summarize what I have learned so far, which may be to the benefit of new persons entering the thread, and my own personal benefit, as I will have my queries clarified.

1. We note key support and resistance levels for our pair on our weekly charts.
  2. We note key support and resistance levels for our pair on our daily charts.
  3. We calculate the pivot points for our trading session using the previous day’s highs and lows.
  4. We wait for the perfect opportunity to take a trade; when we have confluence with 3 or more items:

-A psychological whole number
-An approach of a key support/resistance level
-An approach of a pivot point
-Formation of a new daily low/high
-Whether average daily range has been surpassed
-Whether the trade is in the buy/sell zone
-Perhaps Stochastics/RSI/MACD confluence (?)

1. The trading opportunity will prevent itself in the form of a retest. We wait for the low/high to be retested, and then trade in the opposite direction of the retest candle.
  2. We anticipate and realize our profits according to our trading plans.

QUESTIONS:

1. What figures do we use for the calculation of the pivot points for Sunday?
  2. What figures do we use for the calculation of the pivot points for Monday?
  3. Is a retest which surpasses the high/low a necessity before the trade is taken?

Thanks in advance,
xXTrizzleXx

Anyone attempting to look at Weekly/Monthly pivots as main triggers?

ICT said they were valid levels to watch, but I don’t think he takes trades off of them. So I’m trying to mimic as much of his method as I can, except on the longer timeframes. I watch WEEKLY highs/lows like he watches daily highs/lows.

Last week I had 2 excellent trades shorting the GBP into the week, and long on the EUR as the week closed up. This week I shorted an attempted upward break of AUD prev. week high. The trade was in profit of about 1R but I didn’t take very much off the table, and paid dearly when it reversed this morning and hit my stops. Still a very fun method to trade guys/gals :smiley:

Hi again :slight_smile:
No problem with questions. I start looking at what has happened while I was at work, and then for setups in the mid Asian session yes, and also in the late London when I get up before work. It’s only been a week really to give much of any kind of opinion, and there is more info yet to come.

It would seem that even if a setup that I can set a pending order for lands in my timezone only once a week, it could equal that of trying to find those 20-30 pips trades everynight like I’ve been trying to do. That would be meeting point #4 on ICT’s pro trader status list. :wink:

As for used’s trade, well…lol…he seems a little more advanced and has skipped ahead of the class is all I can say :smiley:

No I don’t look at weekly pivots themselves, but I do drawn fibs from monthly/weekly highs & lows. The orangey colored lines are what I’ve marked as key S&R levels. The ZUP indicator uses fibs to find fib patterns, and on the weekly it’s found a bullish gartley…

and on the daily it’s found a bearish gartley :eek:…lol…however, the daily one doesn’t look complete yet, so I’ve circled where I think there will be a possible D based on convergence of a couple of fibs…it may or may not work out.

1)-Yes
2)-The more difficult part, but working hard on myself
3)-:smiley:
4)-without any doubt
5)-Yes, but working here too, not because a pattern fail. It’s me failing to perceive the pattern sometimes
6)-Definitively true
7)-Yes, and this fact is getting more and more evident
8)-Yes, simply amazing
9)-Yes, definitively mastering our personal performance using this approach can be very, very rewarding

I am personally resolved to keep improving and make a living from my trading.
Thanks a lot ICT for sharing, you have explain a lot of things I could see but not explain from market’s behavior.
My personal viewpoint. This is a great approach but still the key resides inside of us. If we can be really patients and disciplined we’ll see the results. And the other point to keep an eye on is control our fears. If we patiently wait for the pattern to reveal itself that’s great BUT if we start waiting to much for confirmation we can lose the chance.

Best regards
:cool:

ThisIsYourBrainOnTrading.pdf (271 KB)

Hi everyone.

Here’s what I see tonight. I present this to practice and so you guys can give me your thoughts.

Cable opened near the daily high. Price is already in its way to make a re test of the daily high. We have confluence of the MR1 pivot and oscillator is forming a divergence in the hourly chart.

It is also overbought in multiple timeframes.

I also see a bearish gartley with D at 1.5284 with perfect AB = CD pattern.

I also see we are in a sell area.

What do you think am I close?

[ATTACH]

[/ATTACH]

I haven’t seen ICT post anything concerning the entry points being valid on news days, but today has quite a few UK high impact announcements.

I would be interested to see what he says about that.

Provided those ribs allow for it.

Been there done that, nothing in my life has hurt more.

You’d be surprised at how many things you do on a daily basis pain free that will send you through the roof when you have bruised or broken ribs.

I’ve had both, they aren’t much different.

You perfectly described me. I think everyone has a built feeling, a psychology, about when price movement is favorable for a trade. Some people get it early enough to get into the trade and make some profits. I find that I lag in this respect. It seems the time it takes for my mind to decide that it’s a good trade, is exactly equal to the duration of the trend. That is, I enter exactly when the trend is ending, because it takes that much of the trend for me to be convinced it’s a good trade.

Trust the signals, put protective stops, learn learn learn, is the key

Anyone looking at 1.5250 to go short? I’ve got it marked as a key Resistance level from the daily timeframe, and it’s just above the MR1 level, and it was yesterdays high, and now it’s being retested…

Me! I like it. 1.5257ish

I’m watching it as well, it’s bouncing under the previous day high. And it’s above the CPP, and overbought conditions are showing in the 4hr.

2 minutes later…

And it just went above prev day high!..

Ya, I struggle a little with whether to use the round numbers, the pivots, or the PDH/PDL…but 1.5258 is actually what I have for a PDH too, but 1.5250 is the round number… :confused:

Yeah I know what you mean, although I feel safer if the re test is complete. Also the divergence wouldn’t be complete without price touching at least the daily high.

I know, indicator is the last thing we’re looking at, but since I’m still testing the waters I want to have almost everything aligned. :wink:

:slight_smile: like taking candy from a baby huh?