What hobbies do you have to unwind?

Whats, your favourite hobby when you chill from work or trading?

Personally I have aquariums. I find they are soothing and relaxing and great to keep your mind off stressful things or to unwind your mind.

How about you?

5 Likes

Nature is my antidote to work routines, on both a micro and macro level. I love to be in it and photograph it.

I love its patterns, designs and its rhythms and all that it can teach us. I love the seasons and the way animals and plants change with them.

I love the skies and the different clouds and colours. I love the changing emotions in seas and lakes. I love the breathtaking mountain sceneries and the calm of a soothing sunset…

9 Likes

Is that one of your photos, Mannx?
Terrific

1 Like

Nice one. Yeah, I should take out my camera and start taking photos again.

A macro of my pulsing Xenia in one of my aquariums:

6 Likes

wow! such lovely colours and patterns. Lucky fish!

I vent through games, I’ll submerge myself into the digital world,

2 Likes

Thanks, yes it is. Actually it is cut from this foto. These sunflowers have a funny story. We have many bird tables in our garden stocked with sunflower seeds but our local squirrels get most of them! However, they don’t just eat them they also bury them around the garden in store for the winter (I guess) but then seem to forget where they are…

…then in late summer they start to sprout up all over the place and we just let them grow wherever they are! They are like our little gardener friends. They sow the seeds and we enjoy the flowers! :smiley:

This is another beautiful (but deadly) creature that I captured today in the forest…

6 Likes

Hey M, all I see is a Fibbo Sequence

The Too Late For Me VIPER

2 Likes

Q, whats up. Used to collect Marine tropicals of the coast of Fla for my tanks, the best for collecting at that time, all small size of course, Rock Beauties, Queen angels, Blue Angels “Townsendii”, Yellow Tang, French Angels, yup those were the days.

The Ever Under The Sea VIPER

1 Like

Just goes to show the infinite diversity of nature… it even generates some major trading indicators! :slight_smile:

Yes, Amanita muscaria, deadly but beautiful. Apparently it was used by the ancient shamans and ‘witches’ to gain visions, however you may never wake from them!

2 Likes

Lucky fellow, all I’ve got is the brown murk of the Thames!

1 Like

Oh what fond memories! I spent my early years all along the Thames from Barking to Southend…:smiley:

Hey M. how much did you have to drink to start Barking. Oh, and did you bark all the way to the south end?

The Ever Bookers VIPER

1 Like

No, i don’t bark at all or drink much… But i’m told I do w(h)ine from time to time! :smile:

1 Like

Fascinating Mushroom. Stuff of legend and ritual. it’s common name Fly Agaric comes from the medieval use where people used to add some to milk to attract ad kill flies. Apparently the Red and white colour is one of the reasons Santa Claus is traditionally seen dressed in Red and white. I heard in a programme on R4 last Xmas, that in One or more of the Areas around LApland , the Religious leaders / witch doctor types (Shamans?) used to visit the nomadic Reindeer herders (Reindeer pulling the sleigh ?! ) in the dark months and because of the cold, the “Tents” had no doors. They were accessed through the hole in the top which also served to let the smoke out which also accounts for the “Coming down the chimney” tradition. I believe they “Brought blessings” for the families and the ingestion of Fly Agaric was an integral part of the celebrations. Apparently too the reindeer eat them and the “herders” knowing full well the advantages of “A bit of a buzz” recycle the effects by drinking the urine of the person who has eaten the mushroom. (I don’t know how many times the effects can be passed on in this way before the halucogens become too weak to bother about :laughing:

Mycology is one of my habitual pastimes and I eat all sorts of strange coloured funghi, which is regarded as very strange by those in the uk as we do not have a tradition of doing so and are constantly bombarded with “don’t do it - it’ll kill ya” stuff ! (Maybe the perceived {and actually quite Real ! } danger is a part of the attraction for me ? )

Muscari is indeed an “Amanita” several of which are quite nasty - The “death cap” and also
"Destroying Angel" are a couple you need to be able to identify if you are going to play this game [Note - There ARE others ! This is not a game for those who are not prepared to do extensive research ! - There ar NO “Demo accounts !” ] - DEATH CAP contains some nasty stuff - Around 27 different lethal toxins ? and if consumed (around a single cap or less) they taste good I understand but after 24 hours you develop something like flu symptoms (after the mushroom is already digested. Often admitted to hospital and released after a day or two apparently recovered one dies in pain due to massive organ, including liver and kidney failure after around a week ! - No known antidote !

Muscari however is actually (I read in one of the more advanced books) not that bad and One would need to consume around 70 kg at a sitting to do yourself serious physical harm :sunglasses: Shall I try it ? Now that I know that ? it is likely that I will, next time I find one ! It does have something of a reputation though for producing dark and scary (Satanic even ?) “trips” !

thanks for that lovely photo @anon46773462 :smile:

2 Likes

No, don’t try ingesting them, 70kg would definitely kill you.

Immaterial old boy - you ever seen 70 kg of mushrooms ? - Simply couldn’t be done ! :laughing:

[Edit - by way of clarification - I see that my post could be taken as ambiguous - my first venture down this route will be a half of a cap - with the other half held in the fridge, for analysis if necessary - This is my standard procedure for a “New” mushroom and my long suffering OH knows exactly what to do if things are “looking bad” ! - :wink: ]

I spend most of my free time by scrolling news feed in the social media apps which is very bad and totally wastage of time but i am addicted to it. I actually want to unwind this hobby.

1 Like

If you get pleasure from this , don’t think at all its waste of time.

1 Like