What is an easy way to think of liquidity?

Hi community, I just finished the school of Pipsology and i’m going through it again.

In preschool they talk about liquidity:
"The scale of the forex market means that liquidity – the amount of buying and selling volume happening at any given time – is extremely high.

This makes it very easy for anyone to buy and sell currencies.

From the perspective of a trader, liquidity is very important because it determines how easily price can change over a given time period.

A liquid market environment like forex enables huge trading volumes to happen with very little effect on price, or price action."

Forex market size and liquidity

I understand the classic definition of liquidity: how easy it is convert any asset into cash (Example: sneakers are more liquid than a house).

Investing liquidity

I’m not completely understanding the Forex Definition of liquidity. Is it referring to how easy it is to place a trade (buying/selling) ? is it referring to how much up and down the price can move? Is it referring to how many people are trading at a moment and putting cash into the system?

It might also help to understand what would it look like if Forex was not very liquid? (Any metaphors and comparisons are welcome).

Liquidity, how easy can you turn over your investment for profit or loss if necessary.

1 Like