What is considered a good ROI?

Hi,
I am 26 years old, full time poker player. Started trading 6 months ago. At the moment i am break evenish. I have not find any good answer about what should be considered a good rate of return / per trade, so i decided to ask this question here.
I am interested both intraday and swing trading. I think in my last 50 trades i was able to make 2% total gains with 1% risk each trade. That is about 4% ROI. Im pretty sure is super low, but have absolutely no clue what range should i aim. My guess would be a 20-30% return / trade is decent - (btw 20-30% ROI is an average decent professional poker players return on mid/high stakes tournaments so thats why i picked that guess :slight_smile: )

1 Like

What’s the abbreviation of ROI? I knew, RRR –risk reward ratio.

Return On Investment

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, now I got it! Thanks man. You have only 6 moths experience and now making 4% return? It’s not low, it’s a decent return according to your current trading status.

1 Like

10% a month is a good and achievable ROI imo

what proportion of forex traders do you think achieve 10% per month?

Can’t answer your question as I started after you, but just wanted to say that I’m glad to see another poker player :slight_smile:

Thanks for the answers, i think i made it not clear what i am searching for. So my question is what should be a good return on each trade? So if you risk 1% of your capital / trade, how much do u win average?
Lets play with numbers. You mentioned 10% / month is achievable.
If an intraday trader who is doing 3 trade/ day, 18 day/months. Thats 54 trades totally each month
If u are targeting 5% monthly = 0,925% return/ trade
If u are targeting 10% monthly= 0,185% return/trade

*assuming 1% risk each trade

So my basic question is, what should be considered a good return / trade? 10%? 20%? 30%?

Nice :slight_smile: looks very similar in some way, isnt it?

I think I’ve heard 1:3 for risk:reward with about 60% win rate. I’m sure it varies widely by person though.

it’s not a known or useful or helpful parameter, really

it’s very dependent on trading frequency

return per trade compared with risk per trade is measured by the R:R ratio

if you ask consistently successful traders what their “return per trade” is, the answers will vary hugely from very low to very high figures depending on the type of trading they do, and their trade frequency

it doesn’t necessarily follow at all that higher return per trade would be “better” than lower return per trade

i’ve heard of it, but only in my dreams

if you think about it, a 60% win rate with a 1:3 R:R would mean that on 60% of your trades, you’d win 3 units, and on the remaining 40% of them you’d lose only 1 unit

that means your wins would be +18 units for every -4 units you lost

that equates to a Profit Factor of 4.5, which is absolutely huge, and unrealistic

so i think you’ve probably been misinformed, or maybe looking at information on sales pages, or something similar

I don’t know. Probably not many, but then not many make full time incomes or are even profitable.
I know some people making 10% a month and even 1% a day though, for a few years now.

i’m impressed by the people you know, then

even the great experts interviewed by Jack Schwager in his “Market Wizards” series of books can’t make 1% per day

i’ve sometimes made 10% returns in a month, on a smallish account, but i can’t do it regularly, or as an average

1% will make 10% per month
I think 5% is a more realistic and less risky target

This is very interesting and fine!

It is actually very possible, I am currently following a system RRR is 1:3 and my goal is to win 40% of the trades.

I understand that was the first thought I had when I started. However, try to move your mentality from percentage to pips. 500 pips a month is a very good goal and with a good risk management that will represent 50% of ROI.

Yes the 2 of them are very good traders.
I am hoping to get to that level but understand it will take a lot of time and work

40% ROI a year is a good?

false - i seriously doubt whether 0.01% will make 10% per month

it’s astonishingly good, and almost unknown - even very few top professional fund managers are managing it (they tend to be the ones you hear about because they’re so exceptional)