What is profitable - Bitcoin mining or Bitcoin Trading

It’s better for gaming, and thus far is the only GPU with the new Pascal logic.
AMD has always been best for mining and good for gaming but just a bit behind nvidia’s GPUs

1 Like

I have 0 knowledge when it comes to mining so it would take a whole lot of investment for me. :stuck_out_tongue: Hahaha. :slight_smile: But that’s interesting. :smiley: Which coins do you mine? And how did you get to choosing those? :blush:

I hope you don’t mind me asking! :smiley:

1 Like

Got it. :slight_smile:

I had zero knowledge too when I started. I mine ETH and PASC. I read for a week and decided to try. You may also use this calculator to compare: http://whattomine.com/

When I got my first rig I tried some other coins then found which ones are the most profitable. This was before when difficulty was lower and price of the coins were so much higher. Now I think it’s more of deciding which coins you really believe in. :slight_smile:

1 Like

i have heard much about the book. Its time i go thru it.

I will go for mining. But my inability to get the right tool and link is making mining for me difficult. You have any reliable idea on mining?

The only reason I’m mining is because I already have the hardware for it. I feel that if someone is going to start now it’s really not advisable. With the current scenario, unless you won’t be paying for electricity then you might be operating at a loss.

Seems like crypt mining really is a gamble. :sweat_smile: I say I’d stick to my initial statement that trading would be more profitable. :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile:

I think if you’re starting now, mining is a no-go unless BTC goes to $10k or up and pulls all other cryptocurrencies with it.

you have no idea what you are talking about. lisk moreno, ripple are currencies you can not mine. the only 2 currencies you can mine and properly and profitabliy are ethereum and bitcoin. all the other mini currencies, besides ripple which is a made up with a start basing amount which is already distributed, and bitcoin, are only spinoffs on the system of ethereum and back themselves up in ether.

the cost factor of mining is energy only. there is nothing else. the hardware you mine ammortisizes itself depending on the cost of energy. any mining is unprofitable if your country has a cost of $0,25 per kilowatt hour. once you get grip of new hardware, you can sell your used hardware for 50-75% of inital price and you will sell it within a few minutes. keeping in mind you can sell your old hardware and the actual price of a bitcoin (not even considering the 20.000 price) you pay off your investment within 2 months, if you invested 100.000 or 1500 plays no role.

Most profitable is 0,08-0,09$ per kilowatt hour which you can get in china, iceland and some eastern european countries.

countries like germany where a kilowatt hour costs around 0,40$ are simply unprofitable for mining any crypto.

the issue with mining is not the money, but to gather the necesary equipment. it is so overbought that you cant get grip to the fast and efficient miners they are underproduced and only people/companies who buy hundrets of then (cost from 1500-10000/piece) are beeing handled them by the (only) production company Antminer.

trading coins on the other hand is highly unprofitable. because the fees and spreads are exorbitantly huge. you pay easily 20% of fees and spreads to open a position unleveraged. so you must travel 20% in your direction to break even. nobody ever made money trading cryptocrrencies, but whoever mined them made money.

you said pretty much everything wrong in your post.

here is a simple online calculator which caluclates the exact profits per month if you enter your energy cost, the hardware you use and the pool fees:

at the actual price of a bitcoin your profit on mining it with a antminer S9 (price around 2300$) and a energy price of 0,08$ per KWH is 145$ per month. so in theory your antminer pays itself off in around 16 months, but you can sell your antminer for the same amount of money untill a newer version comes out. so if you mine for 6 months and sell the antminer for the same amount of money you earn straight $870 on 0 investment. pure profit.

If you mine for 1 year and a new antminer is released then your old antminer loses value of around 20-30% and you can still sell it for 1600$ and in the 12 months you made 1220$ pure profit by doing absolutely nothing. if the price of bitcoin reaches 15.000 ina year and you didnt sell your coins you make a pure profit of $4258. and when you sell your equipment 1600 on top = 5858$ profit on an initial investment of 2300. = 350% pure profit.

did you ever do 350% / Year with trading?

1 Like

Your own calculator link proves this statement wrong.

So, if your GPU or CPU burns out from overuse, you can still use it with just electricity? Good one. Amortization is more than just work load and wear. Do you factor in the mining difficulty increase? No? I thought so. How about the point that you have to swap GPUs regularly (every couple of years)? That’s not a cost as well. OK. I got ya.

Wait! What? Didn`t you say it’s only the electricity bill? Make up your mind, m8.

You’re so wrong with this one that I will not even bother to elaborate. You clearly have no idea how crypto exchanges work.
Could you calculate for me how much is 20$ to 140$ (for under a year - 8 months) in % 'cuz my maths is not that strong?

exactly my point :slight_smile:

add logic and knowledge to the list of “not strong”.

I would but you have beaten me to it.

Great discussion. Let’s keep it to the topic.

2 Likes

Calm down guys. :sweat:

Here’s a rough calculation based from my own experience and why I think if you start now it’s not going to be worth it.

These are my current price estimates for the parts. I think these are low.

Each GPU is roughly $600 x 10 = $6,000
Plus other parts = $1,000

With the current level of difficulty, that kind of mining rig will get you 0.6 ETH/month or $308.

Electricity: let’s say it’s about $0.15/kwh x 1000 = $150

So you earn $158/month or 44 months ROI and by that time your mining rig is already obsolete.

To add, here’s a link where you can calculate the profitability of each cryptocurrency when mined.

http://whattomine.com/

Then here’s a page on the mining difficulty of ETH.

https://etherscan.io/chart/difficulty

So December - February when ETH was $800-$1200 and you could mine roughly 1.2 ETH/month with the setup I have mentioned, it was really profitable. But as you can see, the mining difficulty is now at its highest and the price of ETH is low. Now if we talk about holding the ETH you mine in the hope that the price will rise soon then that’s a different story.

In getting an antminer for mining BTC, the problem I see is that when you decide to sell it, you will only be able to sell your rig to other miners and it will be lower when a new version comes out. With hardware for mining alts, you can also sell it to gamers or other computer users.

Excellent point! With video card inventories low and prices skyrocketing for gamers, I’m sure there would be demand on the secondary markets for used hardware.

Interesting article on the state of video card prices. Falling hardware prices and increasing crypto prices might not bode well for the gamer community.

1 Like

you can sell ether miners to gamers as ether mining equipment are GPU’s but antminer is using ASIC chips to do the calculation which are much faster in doing simple calculations and more energy efficient. gamers cant use these processors for anything else than mining bitcoin themselves. this is possible due to the difference in coding between bitcoin and ether.

i have had contact with bitmain (production company of antminers) in 2015 to push them and help them to develop an antminer ASIC chips system for mining ether (asic chips mining is around a 1000 times faster than mining with GPUs) but the problem is the coding of ether as the two systems differ completely from the root on.

ether announced they will make neccesarry changes to enable mining with asic chips but yet they didnt do anything.

the asic technology applied by bitmain in their antminers is so advanced that even the first generation antminers are still worth some money. a state of the art antminer usually sells for around 2000-2500 per unit, when a new one is released it pushes the price of the old one by around 20-30% and the price stays there till a even newer one comes out.

for example, the s9 antminer (newest since middle 2017) sells now at 2300 and has terrahedge of 14, the antminer s7 for around 1300-1500 while the 4 versions before, the antminer s4 still sells for around 400. depending on cost of elecricity a s9 makes around 150 usd profit per momth while the s4 even thou it is still valued at 400 usd produces no profit at all but losses.

anyways, id suggest more to buy stocks of nvidia than buying cryptos or mining them. nvidia is skyrocketing as their chips are used in mining ether, orther crapcurrencies (i mean crypto, sorry), bitcoin and on top of all is the backbone of military drones, military automation, automatic self driving cars (and self driving trucks), ultra fast trading and analysing etc etc the list continues forever because the nvidia chips are so much more powerfull, more stable and more versatile than the slow ass intels and AMDs out there, this company even thou the share made well above 500% in the last 2 years will skyrock even more as time passes by.

edit: nvidia went up 1000% not 500% in last 2 years.

1 Like

Great article indeed. As for the question, I would choose mining but the big investment is preventing me for now to make any further steps. If the futute is bright I might also join the mining community.
@CoinLady, thanks for sharing this information, very helpful indeed.

1 Like

Interesting. Here’s the thing, the two AMD brands that were mentioned with prices falling, MSI and Asus, are the worst. Those are the last two brands on the shelves and I got them before out of desperation. 570s are supposed to be at least 30 mhash and those two brands only get up to 29 mhash, above that it gives an error. Even for their 580 it still gives lower output compared to other brands. Maybe that’s also why prices are falling for those two brands.