What is profitable - Bitcoin mining or Bitcoin Trading

I agree with you. In a situation similar to the gold rush, it’s wise to invest in the producer of the mining picks. :blush:

2 Likes

You’re welcome. Glad to be of help. :slight_smile: With less than the amount you need for a mining rig you may earn more from the volatility of the cryptocurrencies. :slight_smile:

The challenge with this is that a lot of people have the same idea so the “crypto premium” has already been priced in a lot of these stocks. Especially Nvidia and AMD.

A speculative play is a crypto mining company called HIVE Blockchain Technologies (HVBTF). Amazingly, they’re (barely) profitable.

Might be something to think about if you want to get exposure to the crypto markets and you don’t want to own actual cryptocurrencies.

What’s also interesting is their recent price action. It consolidated and is now looking to break out past $1.25, which has been a strong resistance level. A breakout with strong volume (which it’s showing) is a bullish sign.

Even a short-term trade like buy @ $1.25, stop loss @ $1.05 and a profit target @ $1.60 (the red 200 SMA) looks good. Has a nice 3:1 reward-to-risk ratio.

And at $1.25, if you do want to HODL, it’s way cheaper than buying ETH, ETC and ZEC (the cryptos they mine).

If the prices for these crypto go up, then Hive’s share price will probably go up as well.

You’re probably right. But I will need to make a more detailed research about this. Always prefer to make my due diligence first :slight_smile:

Is this the case for you right now? :open_mouth:

Hmmm… For example, I bought 1 ETH at $400 less than 2 weeks ago. It went up to more than $700 but I sold too early at $600. Still, that’s $200 for the $400 I put in vs $300+ for $7k investment (current price of a mining rig).

Damn $7k. Well, if you mine and also do that - you get the best of both worlds!

Bitcoin Mining requires a lot of investment in terms of buying hardware and running the system. There are a lot of technical barriers to cross before expecting any profits. I would prefer Bitcoin Trading as it is relatively simpler.

Right, it seems good when you think that why not mine bitcoin instead of buying it. but the reality is buying bitcoin and trade that is much easier than the mining.

1 Like

Trading is cheaper than mining.

And results in losses faster.
While with mining you make an initial investment and then hope to turn a profit in time.
Which one is better?
Invest 5k in a mining rig.
Factor in the fact that you’ll have to pay for electricity, that the mining difficulty rises the more you mine, and the fact that the price will be constantly changing.
Or 5k in different cryptos then hold until you can sell them at a profit?
Yes, if you’re lucky you might be able to sell them in the next week/month and be profitable, but what if that is not the case?

hey @bradley79 i agree with you, but don’t you think that mining has become less profitable nowadays as compare to the past years.

That is exactly what I said.

The more you and others mine - the harder it gets to get coins. I.e. you need to mine more blocks or higher mining power to get the same amount of coins(reward).

Yes mining has become difficult now and also less profitable.

1 Like

From what i have read up about it, i think unless you have a bitcoin farm, you will end up spending more on electricity than what you are making form the mining of bitcoin. You need a LOT of electricity power to make this work.

Since I have been profitable from bitcoin trading myself (leveraged margin trading) with my broker Hugo’s Way, I would argue that online trading is more profitable for the majority of people. Saying that, it is not a guarantee, you do need to know what you are doing and have had some practice on demos before live trading.

I’d also go with trading. I knew one girl from my gym and she just “mined” something like $20 in some other VERY cheap currency over time. All that craze with mining already on it’s low level and people realised that it’s just not worth it. Thanks I had the mind not to take part in that LOL

trading > mining

To mine Bitcoin takes A LOT OF energy and unless you own a mining farm, your profits will be less than the costs to fuel the mining lol

Maybe, bitcoin calculator will be helpful for you! :wink:
https://cryptocalc.online/en/calculators/bitcoin

i would appreciate someone taking the time to explain simplically how bitcoin mining works exactly? i only hold and trade bitcoin but find trading on margin to be more profitable than just holding, because i do not hold a lot of coins

I would definitely say trading because it is easy to buy and hold at the lowest point and wait till it reach higher point to sell; that way you get to gain profit much more than you can imagine but it is very important to note that it is not easy to get profits without understanding the variables.