What is the best moving Average to show the current trend on a 1min and 5min chart?

Hi Guys

What is the best moving Average setup to show the current trend on a 1min and 5min chart ?

Cheers
Andrew

20 60 200
You no need it

The one that suits you as a person!

[U]Key concepts[/U]:

(i) If you need to use moving averages to determine whether or not there’s a clear trend within any specified time-frame, then there probably isn’t;

(ii) Don’t think of a trend as absolute and objective: a trend is something that exists only [I]within the context of and with reference to a specific time-frame[/I];

(iii) It’s so common as to be fairly [U]normal[/U] for an instrument to be trending in one direction on a specified time-frame while not at all or even in the other direction on a different time-frame.

[U]A moving-average-based method to determine the existence of a trend within any specified time-frame[/U]:

Draw 15-period and 50-period simple moving averages on the chart.

If the SMA-15 is above the SMA-50 [U]and[/U] if both are ascending [U]and[/U] if the two are diverging, then there’s an uptrend within that time-frame.

If the SMA-15 is below the SMA-50 [U]and[/U] if both are declining [U]and[/U] if the two are diverging, then there’s a downtrend within that time-frame.

If neither of the above sets of conditions is fulfilled, then there probably isn’t a clear trend within that time-frame.

I use the MA10 on the M1 to determine the short-term trend (or better said possible upcoming reversals) The MA200 for the mid-term trend and the MA1000 To see the mid-term trend on the M5 charts (comparable with the M5 MA200).

Simple, exponential, smoothed, doesn’t really matter for trend determination.