What is the Best Timeframe for Price Action Trading?

Am new here to baby pips, and am looking to learn more and connect with other traders, as i have discovered trading can get lonely and you need like minds to further grow and become better.
I have been trading for over a year now, and trying to learn as much as i can dailyy. and very much open to learning. Thanks

1 Like

Hiya, welcome to the forum.

I understand that you can trade any time frame when trading price action. Try some different time frames on a demo account and see which one works best for you.

2 Likes

@Pauley1 Thanks, I try to stay away from any timeframe below the 30min, i find am not very comfortable with placing trades, But I’ll keep trying like you suggested.

I think the most important part of trading price action is understanding the best place to have your stop loss, and then understanding how to manage the trade as it progresses.

You might want to check out Al Brooks trading course, he is considered to be one of the best price action traders. However, he mainly trades on the 5m chart, but does teach that you can trade higher timeframes the same way.

2 Likes

Tighter stop-losses cause more losses.

4 Likes

I’ll find out more about the course, Thanks. But from my demo account trading, higher timeframes tend to respect price action levels quite well, like the 4hr and dailies,

Or maybe my understanding of price action is still limited, that’s why i have this POV, Experts traders see opportunities on all timeframes.

@tommor, what would you suggest regards stop loss placement ?

A while back I would have said simply look to your chart to find the rational place for a stop-loss.

However, there are issues with this -
why would I think the banks and funds will be following my TA?
the TA might be good in itself but totally ignores current volatility

1 Like

Interesting Perspective @tommor. and YES volatility does not respect TA most of the time, and this major financial institutions probably know where majority of retail traders aim for thier STOPS.
Also there are traders and trading systems whose strategy , I’ve heard is based on “SL Hunting”, am not sure how much of a fact this is?

But i guess like you said, being rational about your placement is key and also risk management, just incase. Thanks for your thoughts, It’s been helpful.

Stop-losses are hunted but generally its banks hunting other banks’. They are definitely not after private retail traders but if you are a small fish swimming close to a shark when a bigger and faster shark arrives, expect to get bit.

Brokers in tightly regulated jurisdictions generally don’t hunt stop-losses. I cannot speak for Saint Vincent and the Grenadines.

4 Likes

There’s so much i don’t know and understand and can’t comment on TBH, But, i’ll certainly do some more learning. But small fishes definitely get bit.

1 Like

I think the banks and big players are mainly trading with computers which are programmed to buy and sell at specific points. If you can read the price action you should be able to work out where the computers are selling/buying long and short positions to take full or partial profits. You can then try and work out a way to use these take profit points to help with taking your own profit.

3 Likes

i think brokers in tightly regulated jurisdictions probably never hunt stop-losses

i think brokers on islands with fake regulators unwilling to regulate their paymaster-client “brokers” routinely hunt their clients’ stop-losses and that’s often a significant proportion of their long-term income

there are people who will doubtless argue fiercely with both the opinions above, and (as ever) anyone wanting guidance will have to decide for themselves who might actually know what they’re talking about :wink:

2 Likes

The most appropriate timeframe for price action trading is determined by the trader’s strategy, goals, and temperament. Different times have different benefits and challenges.

3 Likes

The best timeframe for price action trading depends on your trading style and goals,Choose a timeframe that aligns with your trading strategy

1 Like

I find this following 3 ducks in a row action to be the higher probability approach.

Daily T/F for trend price action movement
4hr for order entry on the trend
1hr to also confirm the price action trend is in line with the higher T/Fs.

3 Likes

@flamingoproxy, Is there a a way to detect brokers that are not really regulated(fake) like you said, A lot seems to happen behind the scenes with this brokers and it always takes a long while before they can be discovered.

is it fair to say over 70% of brokers on the Islands engage in this practices like Stop hunting and high Spread prices?

@charlotte_daily Thanks for this perspective, I guess, It all depends on the Trader.

@steve369 Very helpful, Thanks

either your account is one regulated by FCA, ASIC, CFTC, NFA (or, as a poor second-best, by CySEC in Cyprus) or it isn’t - it’s about as simple as that

note that what matters is where your account is regulated, not where the broker is regulated

example: lots of “brokers” boast all over their website about having an office in Australia and being regulated by ASIC but they run different companies, and new account-holders are actually (often unknowingly) opening an account regulated only in Vanuatu or the Seychelles or the Marshall islands or wherever (that’s another way of saying “not regulated,” really, of course)

so you need to check, before sending money to open an account, where your account will be regulated

this isn’t difficult to do

this is opinion, not fact, because there isn’t an objective, independently verifiable answer, and whatever anyone says will always be open to the question “How do you know?”

my opinion is that the figure is much closer to 100%, and i know that if you ask anyone with real experience of working in the industry, you’ll get an answer that’s way over 90%, probably over 95%

the sad thing is that trading forums are full of both (a) people who have had disasters with “fake regulated accounts” and (b) other people who resent regulation telling them to “go offshore to escape the CFTC” - and as long as that continues, the disasters will all continue, too

1 Like