What is the best way to backtest FX strategies?

Hi there!

I see people constantly saying that we should backtest strategies. Even people here who have shared free systems encourage others to backtest the systems first and then use it. So I would like to know how I can go about backtesting trading systems. Is there a software? How exactly can I go about backtesting?

Google search tells me ForexTester.com is a product. But I don’t know if it is any good.

Your input will be appreciated.

Thanks!

1 Like

Forex tester is free to evaluate a limited version can be used. It is fun, give it a whirl.

1 Like

Hi @jas0992 I use MetaTrader 4 for backtesting single strategies from last many years and its very fine

I’ve never used MT4. Can you please clarify if only EAs can be tested there or can I manually input entry/exit conditions as well to test? For example: I manually input that enter a long trade when 50 EMA crosses above 100 EMA and RSI is also 50+ and then exit trade after 20 pips of profit or 10 pips of loss. Can I manually enter these trade parameters/conditions to test or can I only test EAs? I saw a few YouTube videos of testing on MT4 and only EAs were used in the videos for testing so I don’t know if trade parameters can be put in manually as well to test. Please clarify.

Hi @jas0992 For MT4 you can check here : Introduction to MetaTrader 4 - BabyPips.com