What I've learned so far (and continue to learn) before going live

Have been reviewing some trading videos and found this to be helpful…

Proact traders have some great vids as does @petefader, no nonsense forex and sam seiden.

KC

DD is up. Still taking profit off the table.

All long positions. usdmxn, eurusd, audusd, gbpusd.

mxn is consolidating and looking to move soon? I’m banking to the upside.

aud just dropped into a deep supply zone. Watching and may add to position on the way up and out.

eur has broken a downward channel and may be prepping to move higher?

aud may be in the process of making a higher low.

These general observation are all from the daily TF this morning.

KC

:laughing:Still trading the daily. All long positions at the moment some of the positions are my earlier mistakes from when I openned my demo acct with Turnkey late Nov. 2018.

Multiple small .01 - .05 positions held in the following pairs: USD/MXN, eur/usd, gpb/usd, aud/usd and gpb/chf.

DD is more than I’d prefer. Though I am positioned long had put on a couple of shorts and taken some profitable long positions on the lows; taking money off the table to continually add to my equity balance.

MXN has had what appears to be strong accumulation in jan, mar, april. It’s been trending higher since 4/22/19. I have a good size grid in this area and should continue to build over the next few/days/weeks.

_EDIT noon 5/17/19: Thinking that it is heading to 28600 _

EUR seems to be leveling off on the daily and has entered what appears to be an untested demand zone from April 2017… Perhaps I am seeing something that isn’t there so far in the past … time will tell and I will learn!! :open_mouth::laughing:

GBP appears to have enterend a demand zone that had seen moves in Dec 18 and Feb 19.

AUD has entered a demand zone that last saw action in Nov 15 and a weekly pin bar w/o 12/30/18.

GBP/CHF is approaching the low side of a demand zone established earlier this year and has bee tested a few times.

While I should be scanning other pairs for equity building opportunities I am sitting tight and managing what I have on right now.

Paitience - I continue to work on it and continue to put on and take off longs/shorts as the days go by.

Piling up profitable trades on the 15M chart used sound alluring… and simple!! :laughing::joy::laughing:

"After all it’s only 30 trades!!! I can’t believe all the other traders haven’t seen this!!! Piece of cake!!!

All I had to do was compound 30 - XX pip trades and I am a millionaire!!!"

What a learning process!!

Edit: to clarify: I am not a live trader!! Simply a demonstration that can be viewed as entertainment, chick lit, chuck lit, verbal meanderings of things I think I have learned and about profits that are a percent of nothing!!:laughing: I know that I will be writing a completely different journal when a go live in 3… 2…

KC

I learned that risk reward ratio is way more important than any strategy. When I see the myfxbook of someone I look for the risk reward and the drawdown.

@jorgemontero ,

A lot of folks do that. That can be a great way to go. I haven’t specifically calculated any RR ratios as I trade very small positions and longer time frames - D,W,M.

I have always been looking for a good simile for how I approach the market. Thought of an elevator and the different floors are varying levels of support and resistance.

Was just thinking now after reading your reply and realizing how slow my time frames are I came up with another one. I trade like a moving sidewalk or a slow trolley through town. It’s easy to get on and off, I may have a general idea of which way it’s heading and there is plenty of time to figure out how far down/up the line I will be going.

For me anything under the 4H is like jumping on a bullet train and I don’t know if it’s going up town or down town. I can’t think that fast and have a horrible sense of direction!

I believe RR raitio have their place in trading depending on the time frame and position size traded. I also believe drawdown, depending upon severity, doesn’t have to be feared but most defintiely has to be respected, well managed and can be used as a tool.

@jorgemontero thanks for taking the time to read and reply!!

KC

Edit: Still thinking about RR ratios. What I do consider is the risk aspect of it. I have found that trading small lots has been advantageous to my style of longer term trading.

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

You are doing it well. In fact, longer time frames allow to have a better reward to risk.

A good RR along with a good money management where you only risk a maximum of 2% of your account. Can almost guarantee that you will win in the long run.

By the way, I also like to trade long time frames, I like the 4H charts, and I like to use the swap to my advantage, in cases like selling EURUSD.

Have a great weekend :slight_smile:

Swap!!! Yes!!!

This is something I have to remember to incorporate into my process. I am aware of it, what it is and how to use it!

I just have to remember to make it a consistent consideration in my process!

Thanks for bringing that up!

Have a great weekend as well!

KC

Got a little too crazy with the “buy” button today trying to catch the bottoms with larger positions, on lower time frames. Curse those lower time frames!! I will ascribe it to too much free time and choosing to spend it in front of the screen. :angry: Should have known better.

Love sausage but I don’t want to see how it’s made!

Draw down is at the highest to date. Not happy, but I’m buckled in and have my b-rf bag!! It might get really sick!!:nauseated_face::laughing:

I must always follow my rules, I must always follow my rules, I must always follow my rules, I must always follow my rules, I must always follow my rules, I must always follow my rules, I must always follow my rules,

Must… write… 93… more … times…

:roll_eyes:

Have a great weekend,

KC

EDIT: went back to D tf on charts and threw on a sup/dem zone indicator and all except mxn have sunk into demand zones. Will be an interesting Monday. A lot of the larger losses are due to .05 lot size opened today. May have to take the hit and halve those positions.

1 Like

I am not happy for you and I feel for you.

But your post is hilarious nevertheless!!! LOL!!!

It will be fine I’m sure.

Regards,

Dale.

@dpaterso ,

thanks for dropping by and replying! I really enjoy your posts! You have put up a tremendous amount of great info for me to consider/ponder… thanks for that!

BTW if I squint from across the room your avatar looks like Micheal Chickliss who starred in “The Shield”! That was a great show!

Looking forward to going live soon and would welcome any input you may have. Enjoy the rest of the weekend. My son and I just came in from a “fire pit” we had out back. Wonderful moon and stars, great deep breathing air tonight. Not very exciting for many but I love it!!

KC

1 Like

Good morning.

Wow. That’s a nice pic. of me. Now where was that taken again (trying to think)??? LOL!!!

Yeh. You got me. Detective Vic Mackey in the flesh!!! LOL!!! Been told many times over the years that we could have been twins. When I started posting here again I couldn’t bear to see my bloated avatar pic. (my face) and don’t have a current pic. of myself so figured I’d use the next best thing!!! LOL!!! I’ve lost around 45kg since the days of my original avatar pic. (there’s quite the success story actually) so yeh: I look more like him now than he looks like him now!!! LOL!!! And “The Shield”. One of my treasures. Cannot watch it too often though i.e. makes me just want to go out and arm myself to teeth and kill everything!!! LOL!!! Fantastic series. In the same league, in my opinion, as the older “NYPD Blue”. Man. Same as music. They just don’t make 'em anymore like they used that’s for sure. All this new fandangled new stuff with weak plots, no realism whoatsoever, computer graphics, and gratuitous violence and whatever over-the-top else.

Anyways and for noticing: you’ve just become my new favorite person!!! LOL!!!

Thanks for the compliments on my posts. Probably I come across as a miserable, bitter and twisted, individual (which I am at the moment, due to prevailing circumstances, to be honest!!! LOL!!!). But my intention is really only to help out if I can. I sure don’t have all the answers. Probably am more sure about what NOT to do as opposed to being a money machine!!! LOL!!! But: I’m happy to at least TRY and help out if and when I can.

Must tell you: I watched that Barney Frank video (Charlie Rose) several times yesterday (again) (and no: I don’t “bat for his team” if you know what I mean). But man: that guy is so intelligent and educated and well read. And at some point I’m going to transcribe one or two of his quotes and post them here as they are very applicable to trading. Surprisingly: a lot of what he called for back then (especially insofar as the military are concerned) is no different from Trump’s rhetoric. Difference being is that coming from Barney I can stomach it!!! LOL!!! When I watch him: I become all patriotic on YOUR behalf!!! LOL!!!

I envy you at the moment. Winter here. Hate it.

Anyways. Thanks for the post (or for acknowledging mine). And again: if I can help in any way I’m only too happy to do so.

Regards,

Dale.

Drawdown is decreasing. on the 1 & 4h charts looks like things may be turning up.

Just joined @Glastonburyk 's thread on trade set-ups and had some pending shorts hit on the eur/nzd.

Current postions:

!

AUDUSD_Daily 052019|666x500

Edit: draw down the same. May take a few days for the prices to begin their climb… All conjecture on my part!! :grinning::grin::laughing: I am with @Glastonburyk that eur/nzd is getting ready to roll over. More pending sell limit orders hit, just waiting on germination!!

1 Like

Draw down was even higher this morning at 5am est. Started shrinking around 630/700 est.

All long positions have longer candles on the 1H and the eur/nzd short has tall wicks that reaching into supply on the 1H.

KC

Fingers crossed bro

1 Like

Looking at my positions this morning I would say they are on the the edge…

the edge of moving towards profit ecstasy … or could be looking at it “upside down” and they are on the edge of moving lower into margin call castrophy.

Either way my account summary reveals a number of things I have to deal with

Hi. My name is KC and I am a rule breaker.

I have started trading larger lot sizes

setting pending orders in anticipation of catching bottom tops

guilty of too many positions on at once

small lot size doesn’t always mean I am managing risk well as my current situation shows.

Getting into positions before actual signal. This should help reduce losing positions

I must remember what Carly Simon Said: “Anticipation, it’s making me wait.”

Wait for the signal, don’t be greedy, be sure. ( or at least improve my odds/edge)

I need to quantify/codify/develop a take profit rule/s. Too many trades went from winners to losers and I am waiting for them to return. Should put a TP in place when trade is made - perhaps a breakeven and let the rest ride?

While I am comfortable with drawdown but I understand I have to address/modify/consider SLs/hedge situations.

Perhaps implement the Costanza Strategy! :laughing:

I feel as thought I have learned so much and am so close to “making a jump” in trading improvement. While the current account status is distressing, it is an incredible wake-up call for improvement in specific areas and points out important issues I still have to address.

While financially tenuous I find it incredibly motivating to continually improve my skills. I am doing a lot of things right but still have to reduce the things that I am doing wrong!

I am 1/2 way across the river. Press on. Press on.

temporarily frandlost,

KC

1 Like

Thanks!

I’m continuing to learn.

KC

1 Like

Not many around these parts will know to what you’re referring. But hate to be the bearer of bad tidings though: in spite of it being seemingly obvious and intuitive it don’t work my good man!!! Ask me how I know!!! LOL!!!

I know! Hindsight is 20/20.

But I’m motivated and continue to learn.

Appreciate all your input and posts on the form!

KC

1 Like

Oddly enough just two weeks ago I hauled out all nine seasons and starting watching them again.

Matter of fact: been watching a lot of Letterman too of late. Pure class once again. And good 'ol TeamCoco there!!! LOL!!! Cannot fathom why the US likes our export so much (Mr. Noah). One of our best if not the best. BUT ONLY HERE i.e. that’s a job for an American. Just cannot get my head around it no matter how many times I watch. Doesn’t fit with me for some reason.

LOL!

It’s a great show! My wife will often say “Everything’s a joke with you!”… pretty much.

Laughter is good for the soul. At least for mine!!

KC

The dreaded Pink band of potential MT4 margin call has appeared. Now I know how our dog feels as she approaches the white flags indicating the “invisible fence”

1 Like