What leverage does everyone use?

Some traders don’t use leverages at all, because it’s too dicey. You have to understand that the higher leverage the more risks you should take on yourself. Not everybody can take such risks, especially those, who trade on the last money. There are lots of such traders and they stay away from leverages and that’s a good strategy. Leverage is just an additional thing in trading activity for those traders who have lack of drive and risks. I would advice traders to be very careful with leverages, because they can blow your accounts in a couple of minutes. So, if you consider leverages, then weigh all the risks before starting trading with them.

I don’t care about leverage. I manage my lot sizes and SLs

1 Like

mostly I use the leverage of 0.01 or sometimes 0.5.

Statements such as these never cease to amaze me.

I entirely agree. Mine is currently 1:200.
Why would I want to use 1:10 and be getting a mere fraction of what I am currently getting for the exact same amount of work? But then again that is me displaying my not so bright side, lol.

The regulations are absurd and affect scalpers.
E.G. A scalper with a 10pip SL can only have as much on as a position trader with a 100pip SL - why can’t the scalper have 10 Xs ? Like most regulations they are made by busy bodies who don’t know what they are doing.
I hate regulations!

P.S I was a naughty boy at school :rofl:

3 Likes

lol, lol, lol, unlike many people here you know the answer to that perfectly well, and are only playing to people’s prejudices by asking rhetorically! :open_mouth: :rofl:

there’s a lot of truth in that, i agree, but that’s inevitably what happens to industries that fail so spectacularly, for so many decades, to regulate themselves, in the face of overwhelming public and therefore political demand that they should - they and their customers end up suffering much more

you still are now … :sunglasses:

1 Like

That’s good that you have created a personal strategy which implies not using a high leverage, even though some traders are so crazy to use 1:300.
According to some teachings and my personal experience, there’s no need to use more than 1:20 even if you enter market with humble amounts. Remember: margin call always says hello =)

I use 1:500 generally and during news events 1:1000

1 Like

That’s difficult to state for sure because each trader is used to utilizing the most appropriate leverage for him. The one you are talking about is a classical method to acquire a bit of additional margin and not to be afraid of being thrownout from the market.
Nevertheless, there are dozens of traders who use 1:100 leverage for instance, and to me it’s pointless even if you open $1 orders. The task of leverage implies not only faster growth, but also learning, to some extent. You learn how to comply with prudent risk management.

It’s wondering how you mitigate risks trading such a big leverage? For me 1:1000 seems to be something super dangerous for my margin, cause one wrong movement and there’s no margin…
I personally try to confine myself from using high leverage and it’s better to increase the position size a bit.
At the same time, I realize that utilizing big leverage opens many opportunities, but is it really worth from the point of correct risk management? I don’t know… each trader defines for himself.

Everyone uses the leverage which suits his personal risk tolerance. There are such enthusiasts who utilize 1:100 leverage or even bigger while they have $50 account. It’s not wise, and I don’t advise to do that.
In that case the overall margin can be eaten by one position which you have miscalculated.

It’s better to pay attention to more moderate leverage sizes, like 1:10 or 1:20, again, appeal to the initial margin you have and your personal risk tolerance. I vouch for them.

No one can say what is the most used leverage size. I assume, those one you have mentioned, 1:10 is used way more frequently compared to big one like 1:200-1:300 and lower one like 1:2 or something. But it depends on where you live, because in some jurisdictions there’s no way to trade with bigger leverage than 1:10, because of limitations from regulators…
I think that golden mean is somewhere between 1:5-1:30. It’s more than enough, actually.

Leverage doesn’t make you a good or bad trader. It merely amplifies it.

Every trader uses different leverage. some guys have already pinpointed that a lot depends on the personal susceptibility to risk.
Some guys prefer trading with 1:200 or even more, but i dont believe it’s quite prudent. I mean, nobody restrict you from trading with leverage that high, and if your strategy implies using such a big leverage, then why not, especially if you succeed.
Still, yeah, it’s recommended to utilize not a bigger leverage than 1:30-1:50, as margin’s already big, even the smallest fluctuation will stop hunt you using higher leverage.

No one is stopping you from using the same lot size with a higher leverage though.