What taxes affect yoiur investments?

Hi all, I am just curious, do you know of any tax laws that affect trading activities?

It would be better to consult either your local tax professional or the web to find this answer find your domestic tax laws. A generalization would mean nothing depending on where you are in the world.

For example, you’ll want to find out if profit/loss is considered a ordinary or capital. Whether or not you can claim a tax loss and the limits for the year and can it carry forward. Are there wash sales rules that depend on holding periods and is the trade considered an “investment” or “speculation”? There might be variances in the tax laws of your country that consider the amount of the trades and which vehicle; ex. spot or options, foreign or domestic currency.

In the matter of trading, hopefully your mind isn’t on taxes you’re going to be liable for while in the moment. Although the MAN always will want his cut, it’s something good to be aware of. Good luck

I agree with Dolamite. It is difficult to talk about taxes. All countries have different laws and even if people come from the same country, their personal situation might affect their taxing in a big way. Rather contact a professional who knows what applies to you.

Yes, it is a fact that we have to know what are the taxes that are applicable on us and if our income is less it will remain as Tax Fee :slight_smile:

Yes i do
but it depends on what country you are in

I’m in Australia
We have the G.S.T. here

We also have Personal income tax

so… if you are an individual who is doing well at forex and you don’t want to get in trouble with the A.T.O.
you will need to tell your tax agent at the end of the financial year that you have RECEIVED INCOME from investments

this income will go towards your Taxable income

NOW… HERE’S A LITTLE CATCH
(at least in Australia)
You don’t have to tell the A.T.O. every trade that you do, Nor do they care
because UNTIL YOU MAKE A WITHDRAWAL, it’s not income

now if you have an ABN
you will consider your deposit a business expense
you will consider any Withdrawals, Business income that has to be declared and therefore taxed

further to this
there are other factors that come into play like
Business Tax Structure, Etc…

Long story short
Get an Accountant if you don’t already have one

Most will give you a 1 hour free consultation
or
they will charge you between $150 - $300 for the consult
or
in australia
CALL THE A.T.O. and ask them
or… if you prefer to not call them
go to the A.T.O. Website and look it up
Search INCOME FROM INVESTMENTS

the best bet it s
in your local area get onto an accountant or tax professional and ask them because they can probably advice you on the best way to set this up so it’s as efficient for you as it can be.

Even if there’s tax you can easily and legally avoid paying it.