What would convince you to be a mentor?

Instead of jumping to conclusions I’ll ask. Why do you have such a strong bias against him? What’s your agenda?

If you really wanted to protect newbies like me all you had to do was quote the instances he was soliciting and advertising when asked. So what’s your real agenda?

1 Like

These are hard facts. That guy is just going to ignore it like all the things before. It is like talking to a wall. You will get nowhere. Facts being ignored, cause of opinions…
He is just going to kill your time. Do not let trash waste your time man.

Gotta be fair to him too and give him the benefit of doubt. All that was required was a quote like:

I’m shocked they are unable to do something this simple and use the reporting fuction. I just found out about it yesterday BTW.

With the fear mongering on both their parts (@Rickster99 especially) I’m starting to wonder if there really is another agenda.

Always amazes me how people can spend so much effort in defending their own opinion. It’s commendable but also a complete waste of mental capital.

I do hope you guys don’t waste as much financial capital trying to argue your position against a market that is not obliging.

4 Likes

Don’t know who you’re referring to specifically. Guessing all of us here. It’s a very fair point. Perhaps it is easier if there is a pinned forum post for reporting potential scammers. It’s so easily avoidable.

BTW read a few of your posts and am a fan of whatever I’ve read so far. Also read your blog a bit. Hoping for a part 2 to your story. The story was a really fascinating read.

I did part two already its the latest post.

Too be honest my blogging has slacked a lot recently I have a new non trading project on the go right now. But do intend on getting some new and better stuff out soon.

Anyway thanks for the support.

As for this thread, I am particularly impressed at the long, and detailed responses you are putting forward.

They have an almost lawyer like depth to them.

I try to avoid the whole scammer type of argument, none of us ever know for sure.

Also I am of the opinion that there is nothing wrong with more experienced traders charging for their time, but I know not all of us on here agree with that.

1 Like

I just noticed. I might have missed it seeing it’s listed first in your blog. Part one was brutally honest, raw and uncompromising. Felt like I was reliving some of the moments reading it.

I have a background in airline frequent flier fraud. We had to be really diligent and thorough when we investigated fraud claims and escalated them for possible prosecution. And I think this is my biggest issue. When I see scam/fraud I go into way more detail than I probably should and expect others to take it as seriously.

Thanks for the kind words :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I actually believe there is a big scam being perpetrated on each and every one of us - and many fall for it.

Its the scam of the brokers getting us to trade as often and frequent as possible.

They go to great lengths to teach us about intraday trading, trading the NFPs, and so many other ways encouraging us into the market.

They know most of us won’t have an account for long before we blow up.

They teach endless trading techniques, giving us the confidence we know what we are doing, and through discipline, money management and other techniques we can be great traders.

Sure we can, but only if we pick and choose what we do very carefully.

Most fall for the make money day trading scam , but the fact is markets don’t do that much most of the time.

5 Likes

I know someone who works in a broker. From what I heard about 80% of the customers lose money, 10% break even and 10% profitable. Brokers ‘‘teaching’’ trading is the biggest scam of them all yes lol.

Possible there really is another agenda, but you can only get so far using these type of tactics right. As a trader it will bring them nowhere. As a scammer idem dito I guess…

The discussion has been super interesting so faaar! :open_mouth: When I asked it, I was initially referring to the one-on-one like up close and personal type of mentorship. :thinking: But that’s just because that was the only type of mentorship I knew about. :open_mouth: I didn’t really consider the communities, like maybe this one as a form of mentorship. :open_mouth:

Aaaaah. :open_mouth: I’m so happy to be reading a lot of your replies! :open_mouth: I feel like this is a topic that really has a lot of layers and issues to it so I could understand why it got a bit all over the place. :sweat_smile: I guess that was on me for not being specific enough. But, thank you sooooo much. It’s been a very interesting read. :smiley: Take notes newbies! :smiley: Might come in handy. Haha.

2 Likes

Everyone here has a “mild agenda” .
Helping others gives you credibility and influence.

When someone is trying to sell you the Grail it is another story.
In the world of finance everyone is guilty until proven innocent.
Selling smoke is too easy.
People want to dream and brokers/mentors/books sell them the dream.

1 Like

Lol. Am I the only one who notices that the moment a “trader” gets some level of notice he starts a school? For many of these “traders” their real income doesn’t come from trading but school business.

2 Likes

This is a really interesting POV for me because I worked most of my life in the corporate sector. So it’s not unusual to see people who worked in their fields in corporate branch out to consultancy. IT/Business/Finance/Security consultant, etc.

So when I hear of stories of folks doing something similar I don’t think twice. I think every successful trader should try it if they are able to do it ethically. I had a very active interest in poker and I saw this happen frequently among poker pros there.

Plus even if you’re don’t any payment I also believe that you develop as a person and get a more well rounded view of the subject matter when you try and teach it to someone.

1 Like

I also heard another interesting POV from an author (I think it was Walter Peters, when I was researching for his book). I think it was this interview.

In the interview he mentions how easy it is for him to feel isolated and cut off from the rest of the world as a pro trader. Being an author helps him reach out to people and ground him. So it’s also possible that some traders do it for the grounding that the social interaction provides.

3 Likes

This just goes in circles… I’m not asking for your evidence but you keep trying to force it on me. You can call it whatever you want but it’s my opinion. If you dont agree with it then fine. But no need to force your opinion on me. You’ve given yours and I said you can sign up to the mentorship. But I personally wouldnt because I have doubts.

It wouldnt be wrong it would just be your opinion. This is what I’m trying to say. You may give any opinion you choose. Time will tell if you are right or not. I wouldnt flag the post and get it deleted because this is a great opportunity for me to share my thoughts and what I’m looking for. So others can see and it may save them in the future.

I have a strong bias from his answers and my experience in hearing these before. I have heard these lines before from scammers. You dont see it then fine, you’re free to make your own decision.

1 Like

Lol @Paulscaff1 it got closed with copyright claims. I was sharing videos from different mentorships for free :joy::joy: could only last so long before they caught on!

1 Like

I’m not the one to falsely accuse someone of scamming. A scam is not a scam till it happens. And if you can’t prove it happened it doesn’t exist till you do.

I don’t recall saying I was going to or intend to. You seem to be fond of making assumptions and forming biases to your unique experience.

I will take JohnScott’s advice and refrain from any further dialogue in this ridiculous exchange. I obviously don’t share the very strong biases you and others have against people who want to buy/sell services. I have a very different experience and outlook where these services were common practice.

Scammers exist everywhere and in all walks of life. I experienced this while working 5 years in an anti fraud prevention unit. We learnt never to judge and discriminate people on very scant information.

If you want to save humanity/babypips from scammers like me & @Pipds I strongly suggest using “Flag Icon” and report us ASAP to expedite the necessary action from forum mods.

On another note: I do apologise for calling you scum in one very heated exchange. I don’t know you well enough to attach any label. Till then have a nice day.

1 Like

Thats not a reason to force your opinion on me. You’ve given yours, no need to try to change mine.

No need like I said maybe someone will learn something from my biased views.

If its your opinion it’s your opinion, I’m not here to change it or force evidence on you till you do.