What Would You Rather Be: Liked, Feared Or Respected?

When faced with a decision that may make others dislike you, it’s important to weigh the pros and cons and think about what’s at stake. Consider the potential positive and negative consequences of your decision and think about the impact it may have on your relationships and reputation. Ultimately, you need to make the decision that’s best for you and those involved, even if it’s not popular with everyone. Just be respectful and honest about your reasoning when communicating your decision.

2 Likes

Respected.

1 Like

You remind me of this paragraph:

The wisest of rulers is hardly known by the people
Next comes a ruler who is loved and acclaimed
A lesser ruler is one who is feared
And the worst of all is despised
When you do not trust the people you will not be trusted

The wise ruler’s words are few but carefully chosen
and once the job is done the people proudly say:
“We did it!”

(Chapter 17 of Tao Te Ching)

3 Likes

Timeless. Thank you for that.

Just live life. Ina blink u live, ina blink youa gone

2 Likes

This little tale shows two (or more) things

• a) the utter stupidity of people in general ; Every man who is not a virgin - Pays for sex ! - those who are married often end up paying far more and getting less sex than those who engage in a business agreement with a woman. What precisely are their “disapproving opinions” based on when they themselves are doing the exact same thing ? Those people who cannot understand this are not worthy of your worrying about their opinions.

• b) That those people who care about what others think of them are still stuck in the very base layers of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs - All that is important is that you yourself like and respect yourself - with perhaps a little fear that you may not be capable of making your own decisions due to lack of analysis or competence.

Those who “believe” that CO2 is some sort of toxic poison fall into BOTH of these categories (
imho )

2 Likes

Falstaff, We are talking about people in their 60’s 40 years ago, when getting busted picking up prostitutes was frowned upon. unlike today

BTW: The fact that Melvin was married and his wife was still alive probably contributed to the way people treated him.

1 Like

Many societies consider prostitution to be immoral or unethical, often due to religious beliefs or cultural values. Prohibiting prostitution enforces these moral standards. However, prostitutes are also making an honest living, and Melvin paid for the service he received. So, what’s the issue here? F*** the law .

3 Likes

Many women “Go off sex” when they reach the Menopause - maybe his visiting Professional ladies was his response to his wife’s breach of the marriage contract in this way and his attempt to keep himself sane and what was left of his marriage intact ?

We do not know what the circumstances were - but usually Prostitutes fill a need the men are not getting filled “at home”

As I said the brunt of my argument was that the opinions of “society” are rules for fools to live by and wise men to consider. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

haha, hence, never meet your heroes. Sometimes, the problem with respect, admiration, etc, is that people can take it away. If you do something they disapprove of, would you regret it? Would you have not done it at all? At that point, they have leverage on you, which is restrictive.

1 Like

In this case the answer will be Feared, Your actions will no longer be looked down upon, and whatever you do they disapprove of will now be viewed as an approval by them

1 Like

In which category does loyalty fit - Liked, Feared, or Respected?

1 Like

I think it applies to each one, but for different durations.

liked- until someone better comes along

feared- until you lose leverage over that person

respected- until you do something they disapprove of

@SmallPaul What do you think? Under which one is loyalty easier to maintain? Does drawing loyalty demand a different price under each one?

1 Like

I have to agree, However, the older I get, the more I just want people to leave me alone. I don’t care whether they like me, fear me, or respect me, just don’t bother me. If you do, we’ll find out together if you like me, fear me, or respect me. :thinking:

1 Like

I’d rather be respected. But more often than not, I just don’t care anymore. i just live my life and try not to be a nuisance to anyone.

2 Likes

I’m 100% with you on this.

1 Like

I think as we all get older we no longer care what the world think of us and we also start to speak what’s on our minds more often.

1 Like

I would rather be respected.

I was FEARED (past)…then they got to know me
Now I’m currently LIKED (present)
I hope to leave this world one day…RESPECTED (future).

2 Likes