What you would have done differently

Prior to when I completed the school of pipsology, I thought I had it all planned out.

My plan was, pick two pairs and stick with them, develop a trading plan and strategy, start testing my strategy with a demo account, create a journaling thread here on babypips forum, get a satisfactory success rate, then move on to a live account.

Guess what!

I’m yet to reach a conclusion on the pairs to trade, let alone developing a trading plan.:man_facepalming:t4::grin:

But no, I’ve not been relaxing, on the contrary, I’ve been taking a dive into deeper concepts of trading as well as doing some analysis with just trend lines, support and resistance levels, and psychological key levels, and I open positions sometimes on mt5 or mt4, while sometimes, I just use the position tool alone on trading view.

I haven’t been taking notes because I started placing those trade without actually planning to, I only wanted to get use to the market behavior, charting platforms, mt4, and mt5, you know just to familiarise myself with these things, and then I get a bit excited, I go on to analyse the market condition, then I get a nudge to open a position, that’s it.:joy:

From those impromptu trades, I happen not to have done bad at all, I had more wins than losses. I guess I’m a natural, yeah! :blush:

Anyways, I might not have carried on with my plan to have already started testing out my strategy and perhaps having this topic as my trading journal instead, but I’m very glad my path drifted into studying more, because that has opened my eyes and broadened my understanding of the market and trading in general.

At least, I better understand market structure, things like BOS and CHoCH and how they play a major role in market structure. I now understand liquity and how institutional traders and the big banks use it to set traps for retail traders (called inducement zones), which is what we’d usually see as the fakeouts.

Basically, I’ve been studying the smart money concept (SMC) this past month, and it has been amazing all I’ve learnt and there’s still lot more to learn.

At first I thought to myself, “I’m wasting time, this isn’t the plan. I should be developing my trading plan.” But I had to convince myself that it’s not about how fast it takes me to start trading live accounts, but how grounded I should be, before trading live accounts.

“Knowledge first, profit later.”

What do you think? Do you believe I should have just pushed on with my initial plan regardless? Or what would you have done or done differently?

1 Like

Hi, I think you should focus on discover, what trading method fits to you, then think how to master this method. Regards Greg

1 Like

What’s up, Ekene! I’m glad to see this update from you.

This was a good plan. That’s what the School recommended us to do. You can still do it if you want to.

That’s good you got more knowledge even though you drifted from your plan. I don’t think you’re wasting time if you learned more information that will make you a better trader.

It’s nice that you had more wins, but this can be a potential problem because they’re impromptu. You might not get a good idea how and why you won or lost if you didn’t have a plan and didn’t keep track of it in your journal to analyze. Continuing to trade impromptu won’t really help you improve as a trader.

If I were you, I would carry out the original plan, incorporate everything else that you learned so far, and stick to what the School recommended about having a trading plan and using a journal.

I didn’t start trading, but the successful traders I know about did those basic things we learned in the School. It took them years of coming up with a trading plan, using their journal, and improving their system before they became consistently profitable.

I was looking forward to seeing you trading journal in the forums. I hope you’ll post it, but it’s up to you to decide what you think is best for you and your trading journey.

1 Like

Sure thing! I totally agree. Starting with the basics from babypips was a great way to begin for me too.

2 Likes

Thanks for this.

I’m working on that.

Thanks for always being here. I appreciate it.

Oh yes, I’ll definitely carry on with my plan, it’s just that it is being delayed.

What led to this drift was the curiosity the school and this forum stirred up in me. At first I was researching on other people’s plans and strategy, so can model after them using what I learnt from the school as a guide. Secondly, I came across some concepts here on the forum that me it seem like I hadn’t started yet.

So these made me more curious, hence I decided to learn them and get that out of the way.

So once I’m done, I’ll incorporate the new found knowledge to my foundational knowledge which I got here, and continue from there.

1 Like

Sure it is. The knowledge from the school is very sufficient to get one started.

I on my part got a little too curious, but I’m still having what I learnt here has the basis for any strategy I end up with.

1 Like

There is nothing wrong with curiosity. Learn, trade, learn more, trade, learn more, trade. I have been at this since 2010, and it is only in the last 2 years I have been able to measure a positive edge as a result of over 14 years of on-and-off trading, and a massive amount of learning in between. Stick at it - the reason I never give up is because trading was the one pursuit I was not able to master, and I have a psychological flaw that doesn’t accept failure. I have a property agent in the UK called NGU. It is run by two brothers who are paranoid about customer service. NGU stands for “Never Give Up”. My kind of guys. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow, this is something…thanks.

I’m sure going to hold on to NGU.:grin: