When to exit?

I am excellent at spotting the start of a trend, great. But I still loose money because I am hopeless at calculating how many pips I should stay in for and when the trend ends.

I need more paitents too but what are the signals?

It may be easier to comment if you post the detail of the trade you’re referring to.

Pivot points are usualy good stops.

As taught by babypips school, use Fibonacci placements to figure out ‘approximately’ when to exit. Very simple to use. It is not uber accurate, but on my practice account I entered, drew Fibonacci placements, and i set an auto liquidation. Even though it exited me 20 pips earlier, I am not greedy because thats how you lose it all. :smiley:

I bought AUD/USD @ 0.8286 10.51am gmt 11/5/07 the movement was slow and my lunch break was comin up so I sold @ 0.8289 11.29am gmt.

I know in this case I didn’t have the courage to commit myself whist away from my pc but I did notice that I alway leave alot of money on the table or exit as soon as things slow.

Regarding pivots how do you know which point the price will reach?

If you are a trend follower you can use for example moving averages or breaking of a trend-channel for exit signals. Just don’t spend time looking back at previous trades because som trends really kick off after the channel-break.

Good luck. :slight_smile:

Hi don’t know if this will help you but here it goes

Using a price projection technique which uses trendlines you can get an idea of the up coming movement.

The formula for a downtrending market is;

where PSH = Previous swing high
LP = Low Point
Pips = Points
TLB = Trend line break
Targ = Target

The formula is:

PSH-LP = Pips
TLB+Pips = Targ

The formula for an Uptrending market is;

where PSL = Previous swing low
HP = High Point
Pips = Points
TLB = Trend line break
Targ = Target

The formula is:

HP-PSL = Pips
TLB-Pips = Targ

Now I use this in conjuction with trendlines, fib levels, Pivot points and other trend indicators as to keep me in profit once infront and also I use a trailing stop loss to lock in profits.

So by using the above metod if price is showing signs of reversal patterns near a Price projection and its breaking trendlines then I tend to exit.

Mind you I’m only a newie (3 live trades) but my mentor seems to be doing very well with this technique.

It’s easier to understand it when you see it on a chart but I don’t know how to post charts yet.

Hope this helps

cheers Eagles(EE)

My eyes glossed over half way though. :smiley:

You guys got that technical stuff figured out to a science.

I envy you ability to think in formulas.

It’s just not my personality. :wink:

Good work on the hard stuff.

God bless your trades.

So, you prefer to trade intra-day. What was the set up you saw and the “trigger” that indicated that you should enter the trade?

At work I can not use any charts using java so I use realtime forex. The chart is too slow for news trading and not too good as a sole base to focast but it is great if you want to see whats happening and you work place blocks everything.

On this chart Stochastic was haging round the bottom and MACD also was near the bottom about to cross, on top of this the daily chart was pionting up.

I left alot of money on the table.

At work I can not use any charts using java so I use realtime forex. The chart is too slow for news trading and not too good as a sole base to focast but it is great if you want to see whats happening and you work place blocks everything.

Your trade description indicates that you have a method that you understand whereby you translate your observations about the market into an entry set-up. Looks like you’re on the right track. So, you’re in the trade and it’s moving the right way. The price confirms that you observation is correct. Now what?

No one can tell exactly where the market will take the price. Other posters have suggested S/R, MA’s, pivots, etc. All are ok. As you have gathered, just about every trader has a method they understand based on their own experience. It takes practice to know when a move is losing steam. Sorry. That isn’t the formula for calculating profit that you wanted.

Use some other tools and observations about price behavior to decide if you need to take action. It can be as simple or as complicated as you wish to make it. I’ve been at this a while and I don’t recall too many perfect trades. There is often quite a bit left on the table. It’s not often I get the top…tick.

If you are really trend trading you shouldn’t be thinking in terms of price targets, but rather holding on to the trade until it’s clear the trend is over because the worst thing of all is getting out too early and watching the market just keep going in the direction of your trade. So what you need is a method for knowing when the trend has ended.

For those with an interest, I posted my thoughts on trade exit strategies on my blog a while back.

maybe one shud check where the offers r :slight_smile:

??? Please elaborate ???

toptick07 and rhodytrader I guess you are both sayin the same thing in that I must work out my own exit based on my entry. eagles(ee) I will try you method also.

I guess I have spent so much time working on my entry and forgot all about the exit which I now know is even more important than entry.

At least when you are deciding weather to enter you can choose not to and not make a loss, your exit strategy can make the difference between weather you trade another day or not.

Hey Eagles
I have tried you exit stragitie, can explain how you come up with “Trend break line”

toptick07 and rhodytrader I guess you are both sayin the same thing in that I must work out my own exit based on my entry.

Right. Nice blog article by John, btw.

Thanks. Glad you liked it.

I’ve exited many trades too early because I was loosing only to go back later to see the currency turn around. I know now, once i following a signal to stick to it and just wait, of course stops are still recommended because things can turnaround quickly in forex.I normally follow daily trends and wiat until the hourly matches the daily trends to enter a trade. You should just set up trailing stops or profit limits and stick to it.