When Your Broker Pulls the Plug: The Truth About the Margin Call Trigger

At some point, I began to feel like my articles here were slowly turning into a Sisyphean task. I spend a lot of time writing and receive very little feedback, but then one day I received an email that cheered me up.
This email is from a friend who encountered the Margin Call MetaTrader plugin I was just about to write. I’m publishing it here with some personal comments. I’m sure you’ll find it helpful.

"Hi, K

It’s been a while since we last saw each other. D told me about your “cruel and merciless articles” about the tools used by fraudulent brokers operating on that popular but heartless Metatrader platform. I encountered this scam myself, and here’s my story. By the way, you can publish it yourself; maybe it will save someone else. I’m sure you can edit this text to remove the dirty words. I’m kidding.

So here is the story;something weird happened last week. I was holding a few trades on GBP/JPY. Everything looked fine, margin level solid, risk in control. Then out of nowhere, my positions started closing one by one. Bang. Bang. Bang. It looked like a system glitch. I check the account - “Margin Call.” But the math didn’t add up. I still had plenty of free margin.

At first, I figured maybe I miscalculated. Or maybe a fast move hit my stops. But no. The chart on TradingView was clean. On MetaTrader, though, the spread suddenly went crazy for half a second. It was just long enough to wipe me out.

I started digging. Asked around in a few Telegram groups. Vadim, you know him better than I, messaged me: “They used the Margin Call Trigger plug-in.”

Never heard of that “f… s…” before. It would be funny if it weren’t so tragic :(( But it’s real. I found the it is a server tool brokers can install on MetaTrader. It lets them fake margin calls before your real stop-out level. All it takes is a quick price distortion or execution delay, and you’re toast. It looks totally normal from your side.

MetaTrader? Not a peep. I used to think it was solid. Not anymore. It’s built to let brokers add all sorts of shady “plugins.” They call it flexibility. I call it ability to steal.

You know, you won’t see it, and by the time you notice, your account’s already cooked!

How do you protect yourself? You don’t.

At least I don’t know.
With crypto tanking like we got last week, I can’t say how to live. And nobody can.

Guess the only way is to stick with guys who’ve got a rock-solid rep, a legit license, and, for God’s sake! not on MetaTrader.
Otherwise, they got you, screw you, and not even kiss goodbye.

Here is my advice. You may say it’s bla-bla-bla, but if you are in, it may be useful:

Log trades on Myfxbook or FxBlue — anything outside of the broker’s control. I started to do this immediately! Bad timing but still…

If your platform locks up whenever volatility rises - run !!! This is a guaranteed indicator that the Margin Call is working.

Keep a second chart open on another broker or platform. If prices start acting weird in just one place, that’s the red flag.

Constantly demand execution reports. Honest brokers will share logs. The scammers will dodge the question.

Easy leverage! The higher it is, the easier they can flush you.

I left that broker and moved to one using “…”. Not perfect, but feels cleaner. MetaTrader just reminds me of a country carnival now — bright colors, loud sounds, and tons of pickpockets.

So yeah. That’s how it went. If you trade with some offshore MT broker, double-check everything. Don’t wait for your balance to vanish before realizing they were controlling more than you thought.

See you soon,

Your M"

1 Like

Yes. I had a similar experience. I watched two charts, where the trader platform turned, aimed for my mark, took it, then went back. I reported it and of course it was denied. I won’t mention the person’s name on here, but I’ll always remember the name of the “broker”. I suspected it, so I watched for it specifically, and yep, it was the corrupt broker.