Where are all the women?

Women traders were ostracized (and demeaned) in the past, definitely on trading desks and in the pits, but I think the past 10 years has seen a shift away from that with the emergence of electronic trading. While I am a man (mid-late twenties, so not part of the old guard), I for one hate good ol’ boys clubs full of low-brow, pseudo-alpha male types and am very glad to encounter women traders. And you’re right: I haven’t researched their veracity, but there are some published statistics showing women to be more successful, on average, than men.

I am trying this thing called forex, I am a woman, wife, mother of 7 children, domestic goddess,

I have taken the babypips classes, and have opened a game account on Oanda, I like their charts, their screen and my eyes, well at least the way I see the screen and the info seems to work,

but to tell you the truth I am rather unsuccessful, this will be my third week trading, and I seem to be getting worse the longer I trade,

I really do not know about money, business or currency, I am getting a bit discouraged,

except that I am rather persistant and it certainly looks like I should be able to make this work, I passed the babypips classes with high grades, I have figured out the Oanda screen, and I think my personal system is good, but it is not working,…

I read as much as I can on this and Oanda’s forum, rather heady stuff, and you all are so very jolly and positive,

so count me on the girls side, and thank you for letting me listen in on your discussions even if I only am able to understand every 5th word,

julienne

1 Like

Trying is a very commendable thing in and of itself, so pat yourself on the back for sticking with it for 3 weeks despite a discouraging beginning (which many people have until they begin to figure some things out).

Can you tell us a bit about your personal system?

Good for you. Do not be discouraged. 3 weeks is a very short time. Just keep at it, try different things and read as much as you can.
After 7 kids this has to be easier!!!

thank you for the encouragement,

my math skills are reasonable for a biology major, a hundred years ago when I was in college, but I cannot grasp the nondifferential, multifractional, low carbohydrate math going on in all the various types of indicators from which one may choose, let alone those one can write for oneself,

aaaahhhh,

so I am using candles, those Heiken-Ashi kind, 2 EMAs at 4 and 6 for a tighter cross, and MACD,

I have a better success rate with 5 minute or less charts, looking at overall trends, and then usually traded at 5 minute lows, looking at the crossings and negative or positive of the MACD lines, also looking at the candles and the crossing of the EMAs,

it should work, there is a reasonable up or down movement at the lows or highs,

but here is the problem: it works for trades I watch, and I mean watch, I make the decision on a 5 minute chart and then switch to a 10 or 30 second chart and wait for the reversal,

my gains or losses are tiny, especially since I am working with only 1000 units-Oanda at 50:1,

I have been trying to use stop losses and take profits, but think that this may be too erratic for sl/tp,

I also tried PSAR and like them too, but they seem better for longer trades,

I am trying to make longer trades this week, but realize that I need to understand market fundamentals far more and learn much more about chart analysis-trend lines, fib numbers etc.,

yes I am very lazy, the amount of new vocabulary and logic and reading seems overwhelming at my age, but, it is so fastinating(is there a spell check on this thing)

I wish the market was open weekends, the best trade was one I set up and then went to bed, next morning it was like Christmas, but that was only once, since then I set my trades, and wake up to stop losses all over the place,

fear is the soul killer, afraid to lose even game money, perhaps I haven’t the stomach or knack, but I am learning so much about world finance and business, I watch CNBC now too, what a hoot, reinventing myself after all these years,

again thank you all for this forum

Google Ozfx system. I’m also new to forex trading and I’ve had great success with it

There are lots of female fx traders - trading seems to be particularly popular among women in the far east also -

julienne-

Don’t worry it’ll come to you with time. For the vast majority it takes at least a few months to become profitable demo trading, and then quite awhile live if ever. You just need to commit to success.

thanks ever so much for the encouragement,

I do think I have found the HG though, what ever trade I make, do the opposite, I could set up a site and charge, guaranteed!!!

I look at all the indicators, read all the news and anaylsis, can’t even spell it, look at the pair with all the time charts, and press all the buttons at the perfect buy or sell time and BANG the total opposite trend develops,

or at least thats how its going,

I am very good and consistent at losing money a bit at a time,

but then my husband says I always have been,

but I am even more curious that it is not working, I am a scientist by education and am willing to try to understand the systems at work,

my child, my 26 year old computer game playing pizza eating son is also learning with me, he makes trades on his game, he is up hundreds of pips, and he does not even know what he is doing, aaaaaaaaaa

I really understand or at least I am beginning to understand why it is recommended to practice an account,

its a good thing I haven’t lots of money to use either, when I go live it will be with a small account, certainly not easy as I can see with my practice account, but perhaps next year I can still be here,

good trading

No No…don’t think like that - it is defeatist! :eek: :eek:

It will take you a year of demo trading before you can consistantly make profits.
So do not beat yourself up!

I feel that for whatever system you are trading, you appear to have too many inputs.
It should be more simple.

If you still have trouble going places, have a look at my thread :

http://forums.babypips.com/newbie-island/10812-joy-candlestick-trading-learning-experience.html

Even if you do not use this method, the thread should help you diagnose your mistakes.

oh thank you so much, I WILL go there tomorrow, it is very late here in California and I must go to bed, but tomorrow I will look at your info,

don’t worry I rather chew on things until they come my way, actually the more it doesn’t work the more interesting it is,

how old is this forex trading online like this? I mean for ordinary people?

I rather stumbled into it after looking at what stock trading was like, too many variables, I am old and can’t possibly learn that stuff,

forex is impossible enough for me thank you very much,

I think I just like money, and found it interesting trading in my dollars for funny foreign money the one time I traveled,

I will let you know what I think of your info, thanks

oh my goddess,

the site has more than 50 pages of letters, questions, complicated stuff, aaaaaaaaaa,

I have no facility with foreign languages, I have tried every type of learning material out there, I worry that this may be the same,

the kinds of candlesticks and their meanings along with all the other indicators does seem to make this VERY complicated, at least for an old woman like me,

so I will try to memorize one candlestick pattern each day—the promise,

and I will then read the whole thread several times,

then will you be my friend???

I want to make Forex work for me, I had a hunch this wasn’t going to be so easy, I do not want to be just one of those that tries it and loses their egg and quits,

I hate you!!!

Now Now…“Hate” is such a strong word without a cute little smiley to go with it :wink:

I’ve only just begun too…7 months ago now :eek:

However, everyday I learn a little more and my demo account gets a little better :slight_smile:

To start with, lighten up on yourself too…at least with what’s coming across on your posts…yes you can learn it, not all of it is complicated…say it now…“I think I can, I think I can”…good stuff :smiley:

day one, Ok my first lesson,

bullish abandoned baby candlestick

� Direction: Bullish
� Type: Reversal
� Reliability: Strong

� Day-one is a red day continuing an established bear trend.
� Day-two is a doji whose shadows trades below day-ones close.
� Day-three is a blue day that opens and trades above with little or no overlapping shadows

I tried to copy and paste the picture too but it did not work,

but you must know what it is,

see explaination below,

the red sentance makes no sense to me, the first candle of the 3 is bearish, down trend, shouldn’t the sentance read: Up to day two we actually have a [U]Bearish[/U] Doji Star, moderate strength [U]bearish[/U] pattern ???

[U]The Abandoned Baby is a rare bullish reversal pattern characterized by a large down move followed by a doji or small candle, and then a third candle heading in the opposite direction.

The formation reflects a classic three period reversal of market sentiment where after a bearish trend, finally enough buyers enter the market to take control. They first stop the trend’s momentum (forming the doji), and then ultimately reverse the direction of the market.

This first red candle suggests a continuation of the bear market. That move is followed by a doji, where markets trade in a small range suggesting uncertainty in trend and a rally potential. [U]Up to day two we actually have a Bullish Doji Star, moderate strength bullish pattern. [/U]After the day of indecision, a large bullish candle confirms buyers are staging a rally and reversal.
[/U]
now aren’t you sorry you invited me to learn???

kisses, julienne

To Julienne :

I like your style!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

My thread, which is now some 60 pages long, deals all along, with only 1 candlestick pattern - the Evening Star. (others coming soon)

This pattern is the [U]only one[/U] you need to know for now. You have the wrong pattern at present but you [U]do [/U]have the correct website to look them up.

[U]Do not be discouraged[/U], all you need to know is the basic shape of the pattern, the rest is a lot of verbal description.
If you can picture the pattern in your mind, then you have got it!! :slight_smile:

I invented the candlesticks thread because :

1. It is the simplest form of trading (patterns are easy to memorize)
  2. It is the most reliable and successful form of trading.

Indicator trading is much more difficult. Thats why there are so many strategies - some are completely worthless.

With indicator trading, you will have to learn how to detect trends, how to use multiple time frames as confirmation. You will need to know which indicators to use for trend trading and which for consolidation trading.

You will need to know how to confirm one indicator with another and transfer this across time frames.

You will need to know how to calculate stop losses correct for the time frame and then set a profit target with a correct risk/reward ratio.

And then, there is delayed data!

All this stuff is [U]done for you [/U]in my thread - you only have to read it.
You do not need to detect trends or use multiple time frames nor use complicated indicators - and to boot, you will generally be more successful than indicator traders.

No wonder so many successful traders use candlesticks.

Read my thread [U]slowly[/U] and enjoy it! Rome was not built in a day!!
It is full of pictures, [U]not theory[/U].

I do sense the modulated pace of your site, and it is important to take ones medicine in small doses as so not to kill the patient,

I am going to continue tomorrow with the site and my candlestick learning,

I had got the spinning top thing from the babypips school but started to like the other indicators,

I do have a fair degree of success with very short time charts, but then my nose is glued on the screen, I will be a whithered hag by the end of the month trading that way,

how long term are your long term trades, can you stop loss/take profit using candlesticks?

I sure would like to be able to make some trades late night and then see my money in the morning, just like Christmas,

don’t get me wrong, if this works best sitting at the computer for several hours a day doing short trades thats fine too,

by the way, I am rather sassy and have a bad mouth, my typing is never to be taken seriously, after 7 children I am rather done with being good, I love being an old woman, I really do feel entitled to be rather a *****, only in the nicest way of course,

look forward to learning several new things tomorrow, julienne

What? How do you know this?

Are you gonna move to Dubai? :wink:

I know of 2 ladies who are very good forex traders.

check my thread on women in finance/trading…

https://forums.babypips.com/t/why-we-need-more-good-female-traders?source_topic_id=13487