Which computer CPU would you choose?

I’m comparing two comparably-priced computers which — except for their CPUs — are essentially identical in all their specs (8 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, consumer-grade graphics card, etc.).

This computer will be used for online trading, plus ordinary tasks like watching movies.
It will run 2 monitors. I’m not a gamer, and I don’t produce videos.

Which of these CPUs would you choose for this application?

Intel Core i3-10100 (10th generation Core i3 processor)
4 cores, 8 threads
3.60 GHz base frequency, 4.30 GHz max Turbo frequency
6 MB cache
8 GT/s bus speed

—or—

Intel Core i5-9400 (9th generation Core i5 processor)
6 cores, 6 threads
2.90 GHz base frequency, 4.10 GHz max Turbo frequency
9 MB cache
8 GT/s bus speed

Hi @Clint maybe you should consider AMD CPU, instead of intel. Regards Greg

Agree with AMD you are more likely to get more cores for your money which will allow for more processes to be carried out. Of the two the I5 but AMD will probably be far more competitive. The money saved may also allow you to stretch to 16GB RAM as well.

1 Like

Give this a look. I think the 10th gen is supposed to have something like 20% improvement over the pervious gen. But, you’re so close in gens and cores, that you have to start looking at what you’re doing computing wise to figure what’s best.

Interesting read here on cores, threads, generations with Intel procs.

First impression is always go with the higher cores. So I’d pick the 9th gen i5. But you could probably find a benchmark comparison of these exact procs to see real world performance across various tasks.

@ProfesorPips, @cashisking86, and @dudebro

Thanks for your suggestions, guys! — Much appreciated.

dudebro — the article you linked to, addressed my questions directly. — Special thanks for that article!

2 Likes

In terms of performance, the Intel Core i3-10100 is widely considered to be the superior processor over the Intel Core i5-9400.