Which pair to trade when opposing pairs aligns

Hi All,

I’m working on a trading system for myself but cannot decide on the rules when it comes to trading opposing pairs.
my strategy is simple, I draw support and resistance zones on 1D for all cross pairs (I don’t trade majors due to high probability of forming long term trends and their dependency on singular economy (USD)). I then set alerts at these zones, once price hits them, I scale down to 1H to see if rejection is occurring. if so, I sell at resistance or buy at support.

now, the issue I have is when opposing pairs align at these zones. for example, right now I have AUDJPY at a daily support zone, so I’m meant to buy, and I have AUDCHF at a resistance zone, so I’m meant to sell. if I enter both according to my strategy, then if move is driven by AUD, one would win, the other would lose.

my question to you all is if you’ve had this experience, do you propose any specific rules to decide between one or the other if and only if it will increase the probability of a successful trade - not interested in random made up rules without adding chance of success to this method.

Thanks

Great question and if I have understood correctly I have had this same problem numerous times. to the point where I have identified tight rules for which pairs to prefer and which to avoid.

I select trades from the 28 leading currency pairs but some I never trade -
NZD pairs - they mostly replicate AUD
closely matched currency pairs - AUD/NZD, EUR/CHF
low historic volatility pairs - AUD/CAD, EUR/CAD, EUR/GBP, USD/CAD
exotics - high margin, wide spreads

From the major remaining pairs I try to match strongest v’s weakest currency for a long, vice versa for a short. I try to rank the strengths of trends which I can follow: prioritise the strongest, forget the weakest.

2 Likes