Which Would You Say is a Better Investment?

If you were to advise someone fresh out of high school today as to which was a better option what would it be? Would it be spending US$40k and three years on a first degree… or US$40k and three years learning forex trading?

2 Likes

unquestionably the first!

even if you look at it in purely financial terms, and ignore the reality that many of the benefits arising from a degree are non-financial, the degree is still the clear winner, because in the long run its financial outcome is very likely to be better, whereas most people who spend 3 years and $40k learning forex trading will never end up making a living from it anyway

4 Likes

I hope there aren’t people who are convinced to spend that much for forex education. :sweat_smile: There are so many free resources available online and people can now earn it without spending thousands. :open_mouth:

An interesting question though, @THE_GOATE! What got you to ask this? :smiley:

The thousands that would have been spent in forex is not limited solely to school fees (education) but also includes what one would lose on live accounts during the learning process.
I asked the question to pick the brains of my fellow traders and test where people’s priorities were. It is like having your child who just graduates from high school telling you he doesnt want to go to college but instead go to work at a garage down the road and learn the trade on the job. Some would argue that learning a trade like auto mechanics or welding (metal fabrication) is a better option than four years in college earning a degree that may not have any use 6 years from now.
I noticed that you havent actually answered the question though Ria_Rose.

Oooh. :open_mouth: Thanks for clarifying that! :thinking: Although it makes much more sense than purely forex education, I would have to say I’d go for the first option also. Huhuhu. (Although I’ve been trying to convince myself to go for the 2nd option cause I think it’s the more interesting and exciting choice)

With the pressure of helping my family with our daily necessities, I would rather invest my money on a “sure” and “stable” career that a degree can provide. :confused:

Does either option have to cost that much and take that long?

I will answer that one this way… A new car in the United States may cost US$30k but when it is bought down here in Jamaica that price could now have added to it import duty of up to 80% plus other costs. In any case the $40k quoted was just a hypothetical figure. Depending on where you are, the particular degree, and other factors the figure could be more or less.
And as it relates to the time factor remember not everyone has the time or finances to do it full time.

1 Like

Yup. What @flamingoproxy said.

I guess unless your degree is some obscure one like Greek Art History although I guess even that will have broad use…

1 Like

P.S. How do you come up with these questions! You have such a creative mind :joy:

1 Like

lol, well, like any degree it has two components to it

firstly, it has a subject component which, in this case, might get you a job in a museum or a few other places

secondly, it makes you a graduate and that might get you a better-paid, higher-level job in anything or anywhere - graduate recruitment is almost always at a higher level of position and with better pay

graduates can trade, too :slight_smile:

1 Like

I appreciate what you say. Yes of course the $40k is just a notional figure - its a big number.

My thinking is that perhaps you were asking a trick question? To see if someone took the bait, what they would say?

I think I once posted that it would take 10 days to learn trading, with no initial costs…

1 Like

As much as I hate school, I would have to say get the degree, because at least you have something to fall back on. If all your Forex hopes and dreams fail then you will have wished you put that money into your education instead of just pi**ing it away.

3 Likes

I had to laugh when I read that one. Difficult to argue against logic like that :laughing:

1 Like

Many studies and surveys by organizations and higher education programs on lifetime earnings of high school graduates versus college degree holders.

Take it with a grain of salt. It’s a bit dated. But you’re close to a 2 to 1 in earnings. Over 40 years of living and working, that’s an extra $1m+ in earnings.

Now, I know plenty of trades men that earn quite a comfortable living without a college degree.

Going to school. It’s not about priorities, it’s about making smart choices. The reality is that not everyone is made for school, and not everyone is made for Forex. School though, is more about doing the work, than being “smart” and as long as you do your work, you’ll get a degree. Forex, is different. You can put all the work you want, and it won’t guarantee success.

The best choice though, would be to go to school and spend the 40k, and learn to trade in the process, with a demo account.

2 Likes

I agree. School is an opportunity to learn how to learn. I don’t know if the teachers see it that way and they don’t seem to want to stress it if they do. Its probably not a very effective system for learning how to learn but there is little else to do there, it lasts for years and it is free.

I like this. Get the best of both worlds!