Why 3 day rollover on Wednesday?

[Hi, below message is modified from one that I had posted on another thread. So far there has been no response, and I guess the reason could be that thread is too dated. Hence, I am starting a new thread here so hopefully someone can advise. Thanks in advance!]

Hi,

I hope someone could enlighten me on a question that I have always been curious about: Why 3-day rollover on Wednesday?

I quote below passage from a broker:

[I]When is rollover booked?
5 pm in New York is considered the beginning and end of the forex trading day. Any positions that are open at 5 pm sharp are considered to be held overnight, and are subject to rollover. A position opened at 5:01 pm is not subject to rollover until the next day, while a position opened at 4:59 pm is subject to rollover at 5 pm.
A credit or debit for each position open at 5 pm appears on your account within an hour, and is applied directly to your accounts balance.

Weekends and Holidays:
Most banks across the globe are closed on Saturdays and Sundays, so there is no rollover on these days, but most banks still apply interest for those two days. To account for that, the forex market books 3 days of rollover on Wednesdays, which makes a typical Wednesday rollover three times the amount on Tuesday. There is no rollover on holidays, but an extra days worth of rollover 2 business days before the holiday. Typically, holiday rollover happens if any of the currencies traded has a major holiday. Therefore, Independence Day in the USA, July 4, closes American banks, and an extra day of rollover is added at 5 pm on July 1 for all US dollar pairs. [/I]

I have actually googled on this rollover issue, and what I have found is they will say the similar thing along the line of [I]“To account for that, the forex market books 3 days of rollover on Wednesdays, which makes a typical Wednesday rollover three times the amount on Tuesday.”[/I]

However, I still don’t understand why there is 3 days of rollover on Wednesday. If forex is a 2-day settlement business (as someone has stated), then:

• Wednesday’s poisition should have the normal 1 day rollover since it will be settled on Friday (provided it is not a holiday).
  • Thursday’s position should have 3 days rollover since it will be settled on next Monday, hence it is not “settled” on Friday, Saturday and Sunday (3 days).
  • Friday’s position should have 2 days rollover since it will be settled on next Monday, hence it is not “settled” on Saturday and Sunday.

But the 3 days rollover occurs on Wednesday. Why?

Thanks.

im not positive but i think it is along the lines of this: Back in the day before internet transactions it would take 3 days to pay for a position one way or the other. So if you took a position on Wednesday, it would take 3 days to cash it out and since there is no work on sat, the currency would have to be held till monday cozing the extra rollover. I could be wrong bu i think thats the reason. thursday would bring you to sunday but I guess they were not as concerned about 1 extra day compared to 2 extra days.

" In the forex (FX) market, rollover is the process of extending the settlement date of an open position ", Investopedia.
Open position on Wednesday should be settle on Friday, then rollover to Thursday will be settle on following Monday. So, there are 3 days swap.
Open position on Thursday should be settle on following Monday, then rollover to Friday will be settle on following Tuesday. So, there is 1 day swap.
Open position on Friday should be settle on following Tuesday, then rollover to Monday will be settle on following Wednesday. So, there is 1 day swap.
For USDCAD, settlement date is T+1, so 3 days swap for this is on Thursday.

If wednesday is holiday, there is no swap on Monday.
Trade date - Value Date:
Monday - Thursday
Tuesday - Thursday
Swap 0x on Monday.

1 Like

you are bit late, don’t you think? 2008… 2022???