Why attention-seeking is the defining need of our times

New term learned: crime attention.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/feb/05/crimes-of-attention-stalkers-killers-jihadists-longing

Highlights of the article:

• People who feel they don’t belong suffer terribly, and experience health problems comparable to smoking or obesity.
  • Lonely people lack attention that is positive and accurate
  • A fixed belief that you aren’t worth liking creates a loneliness and craving for attention that they struggle to satisfy. If desperate enough, they may even force other people to notice them, preferring to be hated than ignored. These people are unhappy, and can be dangerous. They commit crimes of attention.

Timely especially with the newest school shooting in Florida.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43066226

2 Likes

We have a few attention seekers here on Babypips. Let’s hope it doesn’t develop into anything more serious

5 Likes

It’s already pretty damaging.

Not wanting to put words into anyone’s mouth, but I think it’s closely connected to why we’ve just lost the inputs of Manxx and Lukas.

3 Likes

Hey P, everyone will be coming up with theories as to why this occurred. Really, there is no “one” answer, outside of severe mental illness.

For example John Hinckley Jr, obsessed with Jody Foster, and tying to get her attention, ( I wonder how he would have reacted if he would have found out she was LGBTQ).

Mark David Chapman, felt betrayed by J. Lennon,

Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, Wikipedia “In 1996, Eric Harris created a private website on America Online, initially to host gaming levels he created for use in the video game Doom. On the site, Harris began a blog, which included jokes and short journal entries with thoughts on parents, school, and friends. By the end of the year, the site contained instructions on how to cause mischief, as well as instructions on how to make explosives, and blogs in which he described the trouble he and Klebold were causing. Beginning in early 1997, the blog postings began to show the first signs of Harris’s ever-growing anger against society.” Both of these kids were doomed from the beginning.

Adam Lanza, diagnosed as having some degree of Autism, later revised by the “experts” to, "Oh by the way, yeah he was a psychopath.

And finally Nikolas Cruz, was killing small animals for fun, not because they are vermin infesting the house or yard, frogs generally are not considered vermin, but just for fun. This is generally an early indication of a Psychopath.

Having an adult conversation about Mental illness in the US is taboo, and when it comes to second amendment rights it gets even more complex. For example, should a person who at some point, has taken or is taking antidepressants be denied the right to own a firearm? If so how would the Gov’t know, would one be forced to release their medical records to the Gov’t before a permit was issued? Very tricky stuff here.

Really I don’t think these killings have much to do with an “Attention” problem, but more a core Psychiatric issue.

The Ever Adult VIPER

agree with you here. but must add that the killings come (imo) more from a social environment change which is happening since the hippie revolutions of 1960ies. in the hippies revolution everything which used to be off limits or seen as bad suddenly became topic of debate and experimentation. some things stayed, the self empowerment and self centred way of thinking is kept. freedom is necesarry and good, but if my own freedom damages/challanges the freedom of others then it is bad and dangerous.

1 Like

cant agree with you here, manx and lukas went off becasue their knowledge has been challenged and they took it personal.

1 Like

I think that there have always been attention-seekers, now they just have the technological tools to take it a whole different level.

I’ve noticed a lot of the regulars seem to have left or massively reduced their input. A great shame and a loss to the forum, especially as it leaves the attention seekers the forum to themselves with few, if any, experienced members correcting them when they get things wrong, as everyone does.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

2 Likes

Time for one last image whilst my Username is being deleted by Admin…feel free to join in anyone, its what kids love to do :smiley:

Sorry to see you go Manxx, another good guy leaving
Best wishes for your future trading

1 Like

Very sorry to see Manxx go (not amazed, though, I suppose). Very best wishes.

1 Like

Would the psychiatric issues of these people have been toned down had they been given ample attention by parents? I wonder.

A lot of people claim these things happens because these kids with mental illnesses want attention but they probably go hand in hand. Although like I said, I’m not sure if their situation would have been better had they been given proper nurturing. I’m inclined to say yes but have no research to back it up haha.

Yup. All very tricky which is why so many of us fall for more hate-ridden interactions with each other. It’s the easiest way to deal with it.

This is true. Also, some may not even be that much of an attention-seeker but because of the tools handed to them… it’s just so much easier to be one. Just look at all the “influencers” we have today.

Amen brother.

Influencers? You mean those people on Youtube peddling various goods?

I would hazard a guess that a certain D J Trump may be one such ‘influencer’ (“puts on suit of armour in expectation of hostile attacks”)

I don’t know how justify the youngsters’ violence and what do they have in their heads. You can do so many interesting and the most important – right - things when you are young but they are just wasting their time. May be its somehow connected with psychological problems , not just with violence.

Yup. Also on Instagram! These folks are making easy $200/$500 a single post on their Instagram accounts.

So many factors to consider nowadays. We can add in technology, too.

Ho does that work then ? :heart_eyes:

I didn’t realize it was that lucrative. I almost never visit Instagram, except to watch cute dog and cat videos. :blush:

incredible I had no idea about all this good article

Of course I knew thatpopular pages in social nets can bring good money, but I didn’t think it was that much… Do they really take this money for advertising?