Why is trading so hard and does it have to be?

Hi everyone,
Trading is too hard that many people failed in which only loss has a 100% guarantee in trading, So why do trading so hard?pls.

Trading is hard to succeed at because of myths and assumptions about how to trade. Such as -

• technical analysis is complicated and the more complicated the strategy, the better it will work
  • the trader needs to develop a completely new strategy
  • you need a risk:reward ratio of 1:3 because your account is small. This makes traders seek reversal patterns, leading them to be long in downtrends and short in uptrends.
5 Likes

There are reasons for that:

• having unrealistic expectations of the markets

• thinking it takes one or two indicators to be successful

• impatience and the impulse to trade

• taking trades based on emotions

• not putting the effort to learn the cause of market movement

• believing the myth that success in trading lies in having a very good strategy

• analysis paralysis

• fear of missing out (FOMO)

• greed - where you want more than what the market has already given and end up losing the profits

• following various signal providers

• failure to recognise that losses are part of the game

• trading in low liquidity zones

• trading when the trader is in the wrong frame of mind

• little knowledge of the necessity and application of position size

• losing faith in your system

• allowing losses to destroy confidence

• over-confidence after a winning streak

• gambling mentality…risking all to gain mega profits

• trading against the trend or orderflow

• pyramiding

• trading during red folder news

• seeking the holy grail

• total dependence on EA’s to increase your account

• believing the lies of so-called millionaire youtube traders

• thinking you must know the outcome of a trade before pulling the trigger

etcetera…

9 Likes

Trading can definitely be a rocky road, no doubt about it. It’s like trying to tame a wild bull sometimes! :ox: But you know what they say, “No risk, no reward,” right? :rocket:

So, why’s it so darn tough? Well, markets are like wild creatures, they can be unpredictable. :tornado: Plus, emotions can mess with your game plan – fear and greed are some mighty foes! :grimacing:

But hey, if you’re in it to learn, grow, and maybe even ride some market waves, you’re on the right track! Keep on hustling, and remember, even the best traders had to start somewhere. :muscle::chart_with_upwards_trend:

2 Likes

Trading is much about balancing the gap between Greed and Fear which requires analytical, mathematical, psychological, philosophical, principled, unsophisticated, technical & fundamental approach.

I think reason why they (including you) says it’s hard.

2 Likes

Enough there to scare anyone off! :rofl:

3 Likes

Well, i think that trading is so hard because of how complex trading psychology can be and fact that people overestimate their abilities and come to this industry with to much confident and without respect for the markets.

1 Like

Trading is hard because it is indeed hard. You’re fighting against with people who is already S level in the industry. For them to make any money, you need to lose first so that they can snatch your money. Someone needs to lose first in order for someone could win.

“Thank you very much. I have your money now. Gotcha. Haha.” - Ice Bear

1 Like

Anything that requires skill and lots of education is hard.

2 Likes

Lack of analytical ability is the cardinal factor.

2 Likes

Dear friend, trading can be challenging , but it is not impossible. While losses happen , so do profits. We can manage it better by learning and having discipline and right strategy . I think it is good to keep learning and stay patience.

4 Likes

Retail trading is exactly like playing roulette wheel. There is no way to be successful in the long term by targeting an R-multiple of >1.

Sites like Babypips are sponsored by retail brokers as long as they promote trading of low probability outcomes like 1:2 & 1:3 risk:reward when in fact its impossible to be successful in the long term using that.

2 Likes

Because there are a lot of variables and it takes a long time to process of elimination

Very interesting comment!

There certainly seem to be a lot of successful and institutional traders who would agree, but it may be a minority opinion in a forum?

You’ll never read discussion on 0.8 vs 0.7 R-multiple, but it’s full of 2.0 to 5.0… Just a gambling forum.

3 Likes

A risk:reward ratio higher than 1:2 is rarely reported as a consistent achievement. More than 1:1.5 is ambitious. I believe this has been posted multiple times on babypips but I guess a lot of people don’t want to hear this.

4 Likes

I’m a very recent arrival so my perspective may be a little different? It really doesn’t come across to me as just a gambling forum.

But I take your point that some of the genuine, human members who aren’t here to sell or promote some service do have some very unrealistic expectations.

That’s not really their fault, though? It’s just an optimistic viewpoint constantly reinforced by all the vendors, marketers and affiliates, and this place certainly has far more than its share of those!

(Not to mention all the bots posting pure BS? I suppose they’re all paid-for posts for SEO purposes, tho?)

Trading is so hard because it is completely different from anything.
All the right thinking methods don’t work in the forex trading world.
So people feel difficulties in doing it.
But once you change your conventional thinking and get a proper thinking method, trading will be very easy for you.

It is hard because you are not told the truth. The truth is profit and loss is inevitable in trading. And from experience sentiments makes it very hard. But it can be fun and easy if you have practised or studied it for atleast not less than a year. I mean constantly reading in the first year and in the second year seeing the reality. You will then see how money burn and of course how it is made too. My advise is take another 1,2,3 months practising on demo accounts and when you are confident, you are ready or perhaps ripe to reproduce money as well as losses. But your profit will be more than the losses. Trading is for easy going. I mean if a girl shuts you out of her life, as a trader you need to move on and find another girl friend. If you are the type who can not live without your ex, then I am sorry don’t be a trader be someone else. If you drop or lose money and cannot sleep, please you are not a trader. Traders lookout for more trades, irrespective of the losses incurred. If you can play around with leverage, indicators, news, losses, profits, etc with ease the way Messi play with football, you are a trader. Thank you

2 Likes

Institutions dictate in the end and you have to do what they are doing. Trading is hard but if you learn to manage your risk properly, you can survive.