Why majority of traders give back profits after winning streaks

Letter published in EliteFxAcademy
Have you ever hit a big winning trade or a series of winners and instead profit you gain loss because you gave all the profit and even some extra back? Don’t worry many of us had the same problem early on in our trading career, so we know how frustrating it can be.

Slide down the page and you will find out reasons for giving back profits and even better you will find a solution.

The psychology of why you are giving back profits…

There are many known reasons why you are giving back profits and not once but multiple times, but one thing they all have in common : RECENCY EFFECT

Recency effect is actually a description of human nature, that is, that we are most likely going to repeat more recently made choices compared to those that came before. But as traders, we need to understand consequences that recency effect has on us, if we let.

When trader pays too much attention to his or hers most recent results, they lose focus and perspective which is EXTREMELY easy in trading and those things lead to stupid decisions.

Recency effect is the mail reason of why traders give back their profit, because it gives them false sense of confidence based on recent successes

FALSE CONFIDENCE : AN ENEMY IN DISGUISE

When we become arrogant by our most recent trades (RECENCY EFFECT) we start feeling a false sense of confidence.

Let’s look at an example : a beginning trader can get lucky even without basic knowledge about trading multiple times in a row. Let’s say conditions on market were »easy« , very strongly trending, easy to quickly profit in. Problem becomes when those conditions change and trader because of a lack of education, understanding and trading skills combines with false-confidence doesn’t change his pattern and keeps trading. But because of changes trader loses all the money they made in previous winners.

This situation is very common and known to nearly every trader. False confidence makes you feel smarter and many start to think they have some trading gift that others don’t. This gift is really rare and you most likely don’t have it. When you start feeling like that, it’s a warning sign you’re about to lose some money to the market

So, how to overcome recency effect and false-confidence? Remember to think that you are trading probabilities not certainties and every trade speaks for itself. So your previous trade has nothing to do with your next one. You need to think so to get in the proper trading mindset, because if you look too much in previous trades, you lose sight of your plan, you once again become over confident and start losing money regularly.

COLD, HARD, CASH

The best and most real thing is cold, hard, cash in your hands. The feel and smell of it creates a sensory connection and that triggers emotional and psychological connection as well. And that is totally different than feelings when you simply stare at digits on a computer screen.

What is the point?

When you can’t touch your trading money, when you don’t feel profit and loss with your hands, you start to care less about it.

For example, if you had 500€ cash in your hands and someone tried taking it from you, you would probably punch them in the face. But when that cash is on your computer screen and someone you don’t see takes it, you become upset but shrug it off and you continue with trades.

Do you see the problem here?

Solution? Every month withdraw some of your profit and put it in somewhere in your working space. Once a week take that money and feel it, smell it to remember how real profit feels once in your hands. Now trade in-line with those feelings. Trade defensively, preserve your trading capital and you will survive and eventually thrive in the world of trading.

CONCLUSION

The most frustrating part of trading is likely unnecessarily giving back your profits. If you let it go out of control it triggers many mistakes which lead you to blowing out your account.

With these insights I want to show you, that you can avoid losing all your profits, which can cause long term damage to a traders confidence. Recover from that kind of fall can be hard both mentally and financially so you need to be prepared. Most common thing to bring you down is »over confidence« followed by series of winnings. The best you can do is take every trade and day as unique. Previous doesn’t matter any more, future is yet to decide. There is no room for egos and impulsive traders on the market, who feel the need to prove the market wrong, usually trading on that impulse to take back what’s lost or stubbornly holding losing positions.Helping you to see and understand problems on market and offering you solutions to deal with them is something I cover in my professional Elite trading course.

1 Like

Thank you for the great article!

At the same time, some parts of advice are rather contraversial. For example, some professional traders say that it is wrong to create psychological connections with the money till they are withdrown. In other words, your trading account should mean nothing for you, they should be only figures. According to their opinion, such psychological connections could lead to increasing impact of emotions like fear or greed on your trading process. So, if you want to deal with the emotions, you should think about your P&L as about something intangible, like a score in a game. Only in this case you will be able to make trading decisions based exclusively on technical or fundamental analysis, rather than on emotions and feelings.

Another important point is trading statistics. Each trader should write down all his trades to be able to analyse them and find out his main mistakes to avoid them in future. Such analysis gives trader an important understanding of his performance, including both strenth and weakness, that is necessary to be able to make improvements.

Many issues could be also solved by discipline. If the trader is disciplined enough to make trades strictly in accordance with the strategy rules, the impact of emotions would be very low. Discipline also helps trader to reduce the number of mistakes made. Thus, the improvement of the discipline should be one of the main priorities for the trader to focus on.

2 Likes

Definitely helps me think objectively about trades, risk, trading, strategies, targets, performance etc. in terms of % profit, plus or minus, not £ won or lost.

1 Like

Why can’t we see the original post?

1 Like

I think this is all psychology BS that people try to sell on courses to show they know all about trading. All it is, is you do not follow your trading plan or worse you do not have a trading plan. Forget this false confidence rubbish or withdraw cash and out it on your desk lol. Just make a trading plan and follow it. You’ll know what your winning % is and losing % so no need to get overconfident or pessimistic. Theres no ‘recency bias’ when you follow your plan. Just take the trade when it sets up. Let’s not make trading more complicated than it already is by overthinking things.

1 Like

Awareness of negative influences goes halfway towards defeating them. Telling traders to JFDI is glib, patronising and unconstructive.

Most traders who wipe out and give up are eliminated by their own failings, not market Black Swans or price-rigging brokers, not even faulty strategies. So it is entirely appropriate to focus on understanding the real internal obstacles to successful trading.

Sorry mate didnt really understand your reply. JFDI? I believe what was said above is not a real internal obstacle. If it is, the answer is not take money out, its have and follow a trading plan. The rest is just gibberish to confuse people.

I can help - JFDI is a theory of management, in which, manager tells staff he doesn’t want to discuss the issues concerning a project, they are to Just F***ing Do It.

Wasn’t that Nikes original slogan?

But reconsidered and thought three words might be more appropriate

I think what’s going on in a traders head has a lot to do with their success. False confidence
And eternal optimism will surely sink their ship.

I follow the following rules based on my philosophy that capital preservation is more important than profit.

1. Move SL to BE as soon as possible. If the market takes you out of the trade so be it.
  2. Move SL to lock in profits at appropriate levels.
  3. Once SL has been moved to BE or profit lock in, you cannot move SL to avoid being taken out of the trade.
1 Like

Ah good makes sense. Yeah that’s how trading should be. None of this wishy washy rubbish.

1 Like

I only take profits.

Fear of taking profits and fear of taking losses is why many traders end up doing it backwards. They end up either giving profits back or cutting them too short all the while allowing losers to grow into bigger losses instead of realizing a small loss. It’s the distinction between “realized” and “unrealized” where fear and greed can cloud your judgement.

Had to do a double take there. I thought for a quick split second JFDI was a broker :rofl::rofl:

You can experience various situations when trading forex. This is called gaining experience. If something like this happened to you, you should certainly know what not to do next time

Contact me private and I’ll give you instructions. I cannot share links here in forums because of rules.
Officialy was published from EliteFxAcademy

You have many key rules in trading. The best part is progress, disciplinary and patiance

The worst is that today is hard to find one strategy or something that can give you enough to make money slowly. It’s just too many scams outside and people are acting stupid about money, for example; how to make from 100 to 1000 in a week.
When I see this types of folks I wish them to lose money and get slaped by market, because they will stop dreaming about easy money lol