Why we need more (good) female traders

I don’t think @Peter_Schultz reply represents the main stream of male opinion, but as we all know, there are “outliers” on every Bell-Curve.

1 Like

Haha. I express my own opinion and have the right to do so. I didn’t do a head count on this topic. Although after your answer it became interesting to me. :wink:
Is it possible to arrange a poll on this site?

There was a poll but when the site was revamped the thread transferres wihout it; the original thread poll that I set up asked how many female traders people knew or had heard of…

Yes, you have a right to express your opinion, of course.

I suspect that i would have reached the same conclusion- but only because she would undoubtedly have been much better at it! :rofl:

3 Likes

https://thelily.com/wall-street-has-no-female-chief-executives-that-needs-to-change-e9e6c2f4a368

http://www.goldmansachs.com/our-thinking/talks-at-gs/jayne-anne-gadhia.html?cid=scl-pd-facebook-talksgadhia-video-20181-uk-3

Haha, absolutely agree. :grin::grinning::joy:

Kathleen Brooks mentioned in this article…

https://www.ft.com/content/6685e87e-f794-11e7-a4c9-bbdefa4f210b#comments-anchor

Recent article on women traders, Japanese female currency traders, and their attitude to risk.

https://www.ft.com/content/868d597c-17d3-11e8-9376-4a6390addb44

Happening next Tuesday (6th March)…

Followed your link and got a “sign up” blurb !

No thanks !

I don’t have an issue with any of the multiple “Genders” we now are faced with - earning a few shekels out of trading - So why should we positively discriminate ?

I was able to view the article for free… maybe it was only free to view for a few minutes…

The topic of positive discrimination is not a simple one, obviously, and it touches all areas of society, from gender and race to class and sexual orientation, there is something to be said for as well as against quotas. One thing is true: companies left to their own positive discrimination initiative perform poorly in workforce diversification, which is why quotas are a necessary intervention to strongarm change and focus company boards to make that hope a little closer to a reality.

1 Like

Actually I believe it IS a simple issue and that any form of discrimination, “Positive” or negative, is all negative and should be rejected by all !

1 Like

Absolutely. Equality of opportunity is a worthwhile ideal but it largely already exists. And what is positive discrimination for just ONE person is automatically negative for ALL others throughout society, including members of other minorities.

There are no gender barriers against entry into nursing/care professions and engineering/mechanics. Nevertheless, male entrants prefer one and female entrants prefer the other. It is their free choice. There is no justification for constructing either a labour shortage or a reduction in human resource quality in an occupation because the gender balance is not 50/50.

In theory no there aren’t. But as a single parent (male) of a 6 year old girl, you needed to actuall be there to feel the antagonism of teh “Other mothers” at the school gate !

Nowadays only a complete fool of a male would enter the teaching profession and probably would NOT be employed by any school in any case. Is this discrimination ?

1 Like

It is personal choice and if its discrimination, it is personal discrimination. What’s most important to deal with would be systemic discrimination, and this is very rare to find these days.

Of course some people won’t be very accepting of anything outside what they see as the norm. But at least they won’t also benefit from positive discrimination.

The lack of male teachers is NOT personal choice - it is a fear of entering an occupation where a man is vulnerable every day to “denunciation” by any one of 20 females in his class, or random whim of any of maybe 600 who have been in his care over a life career.

That is NOT “Personal choice” - where the denouncer is assured of anonymity and the victim is assured of publicity of the worst kind and a wrecked life whether the denouncement eventually attracts a load of “me - too-ers” or not.

We are now going the same way with “Charity organisations” !

Interestingly I heard an ijnterview on R4 this morning where some woman had written a book about “Lost women” in China.

Apparetly the 1 child policy has resulted in girls in urban areas being raised as though they were sons, getting degrees and entering business. which is now upsetting their parents because the girls aren’t really interested in getting husbands and kids - ergo no grand-kids for the parents.

This is causing the population demographic to crash towards older people and is forecast to cause massive probems in the future.

In the countryside, most births were boys and there are areas of 160 men to 100 women, but no consideration was afforded to these “lost men”.

I used to think that the human race would medicate itself out of existence by defying Darwinism to an extent that the gene pool was so devalued as to make us unviable.

Now I’m not quite so sure.

I am all for equality of opportunity on gender grounds and when it comes to entering an occupation. As far as teaching is concerned, male candidates have equal opportunity to enter. Female colleagues are bound to abide by the law and their contracts and their profession’s rules of conduct as far as dealing with male (or other) colleagues. How the profession as a whole deals with accusations and false accusations would not be remedied by even an exact 50-50 split between male and female candidates.

Interesting to see the female manager from Schroders on the morning news today on the subject of why finance attracts fewer female than male staff. She seems to believe its because women want to see an assured outcome of something new whereas men arrive with more confidence and will press on without that.

Its interesting to consider if that makes women more profitable traders because they take less risk, or less profitable - because they take less risk…