Why we need more (good) female traders

Hello all,

I juat wanted to say that female trader @CoinLady has a thread running about her trading progress
here, which you may like to read:

Trading Progress

She is using the 3-Ducks system.

Happy Trading!

3 Likes

Thanks for mentioning me @PipMeHappy but I feel like I’m not worth mentioning yet and might disappoint anyone who visits my thread haha. I’m just starting to demo trade, taking baby steps and baby pips. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

You are welcome, @CoinLady!

1 Like

I can’t believe this is still running.

I am a male private retail trader. I’ve never worked in the finance industry. So far as I can see, there are no barriers to the entry of females into private retail trading. I guess the reason why more don’t do it is because they don’t want to. Fair enough, that’s their choice, whether I think its right or wrong.

One reason I would have hated working in the finance industry because it seems to me like its an elitist club full of the sort of “superior” people who would stab their own grandmother in the back for 50 quid. Or rather con some hard up retired Mum and Dad into buying something worthless they don’t need for 500.

So why would more women in the City or on Wall Street be a Good Thing? Sure, they personally might get a fat salary and a nice bonus, but I can only imagine the industry would recruit the same sort of scum as it does now, just of a different gender.

1 Like

Nah, Tom, times have changed.

Just had the pleasure of a grandchild looking for his granddad whilst his daughter is telling her ma why the industry sucks and needs to change.

2 Likes

@lillyw91

Also wanted to give a shout out to everyone to welcome this new trader, Lilly, on her thread:

3 Likes

Tommor,

you raise an important point: that aiming to work for the CIty or The Street is not the be all and end all of one’s ambitions

or a mark of equality between the sexes.

I have taken the thread to many places but I wanted to say that the main aims were to:

1. gather and share all the information that I found on clear cases of sex discrimination and sexist attitudes in finance;

2. gather and share all the information that I found on successful/professional women in finance (traders or otherwise);

3. promote female forum members on Babypips and encourage their contributions.

I think that issue no. 1 gets some people very exercised but I cannot help that: the reality of some attitudes toward

women in the industry has been amply documented on this thread and elsewhere. I cannot change that, but raising

awareness and talking about it is the least that I can do. Why? Because I care.

1 Like

@PipMeHappy Thanks so much for the mention! I love this thread btw xx

2 Likes

@lillyw91

You are welcome.

If you want to contribute anything to it, that would be great!

My point is that an industry with a reputation for - let’s say, least offensively, sharp dealing - is not going to become moral through the entry of female recruits.

Rather, the type of environment in the industry is going to attract recruits of both genders who will suit that environment. And frankly, I see no reason to look forward to a 50/50 gender balance of that sort of people.

1 Like

I would absolutely condemn any rules or practices which eliminate opportunity for women from entry. The finance sector seems to have such practices surviving and this utterly objectionable and should be eliminated.

However, I don’t expect the industry to change its morality as a result of a better gender balance amongst employees. I expect it will attract the type of female candidates who are of a similar nature to the male candidates. And I sure don’t respect them much.

2 Likes

agreed on that!!!

Aye, this is true, it’s not the gender that’s important.

I’ve often thought about the credit crunch 10 years ago, the causes, the players, the victims and the outcome.

From a gender perspective both male and female perhaps wanted the best even if they couldn’t afford it, the culture of buy now pay later was the order of the day.

The players were mostly male bankers I’m sad to say. Their driver was greed (bonuses), the more debt they could sell the better.

The victims were once again the initial cause, those that were led by a society that values ‘wealth’.

The fix - this is where it gets interesting.

Mostly governments adopted the word ‘austerity’. The governance of austerity generally falls to the female of the household, I know it’s a generality, I know it’s sexist, but imo that’s who has to control the household budget.

1 Like

Interesting points, Peterma…

An intelligent and historically aware answer…

We have come to expect nothing less from you

on these forums.

Sorry for the rather unashamed flattery,

but I really must say it is refreshing to see someone

always adding value through every post, and never

losing their rag…

Respect.

Speaking of which, here is an interesting interview:

http://www.futuresradioshow.com/guest-tax/lydia-finkley/

FX trader Lydia Idem Finkley talking to CME veteran Anthony Crudele…

Also, you can find her on a number of other websites: here is one with another interview:

2 Likes

@robynm

Trade Like A Girl Academy Teaches Thousands of Women to Become Forex Traders | Benzinga

Many thanks to @Ananais for spotting this, hot from the press:

Study of investors shows differences between men and women — Quartz at Work

A fairly balanced view of risk behaviour in men and women trader-investors…

1 Like

Please give a welcome to newbie member @SuePearl

@SuePearl Good luck on your trading journey and feel free to share some of it with the rest of us!

2 Likes

Old thread but with a few women traders, some may be gone and some may still be around (like @Sweet_Pip):

1 Like

Take a look at @elenmirie 's thread:

Elenmirie and her Quest for the Holy Pips

2 Likes