Why we need more (good) female traders

Nothing that extreme

2 Likes

Give me a guess. Ball park it. 20/100? I wouldn’t even say that to be honest. But you know better than I do.

If I had to guess, I’d say that sounds about right, but don’t quote me.

Thank you, Jason.

I think that this article, from three years ago (almost to the day), may be something that we can all relate to:

More Women Are Trading - Here’s Why - Forbes

Until we know, facts in hand, that women traders have gone up in number (by country, or broker, or by instrument -

whichever category may yield those numbers), we could simply be chasing anecdotal opinion, which, for all we know,

may be misleading.

Happy trading.

Lol. This is hilarious. I read the article. What would be more interesting to find out about is how many attractive female traders successfully trade the foreign exchange! Now that would be a great read. It’s the one profession that beauty will not give you an advantage or edge. Doesn’t matter how cunning, seductive, or selective you are… The market simply doesn’t care! Got to love it. I love how trading takes all physical qualities, and speaking skills that are normally advantages in other industries off the table (I’m not saying I am unattractive lol). Instead, the market prizes conceptual ability, mental strength, fortitude, and skill. It pays for these characteristics. Good looks won’t get you paid!

I research, read articles and combine it with own words about what a GOOD “Female Traders” are and their characteristics. I post these on my old thread and I thought I should post it here as well…just for fun :slight_smile:

[I]Female traders…ha! yah right. Yeah, I know I can feel your doubt about this (to some alpha male out there) but just hold on your horses and see if female have these traits to become a successful traders as well.

So lets take a look at what are the key personality traits of a successful trader.
1.) The ability to stay focused.
2.) Remain calm under pressure.
3.) Adapt to new information and trends.
4.) Use their initiative.
5.) The ability to do multi-tasking (I just add this …just because )

As with many aspects of wealth appreciation, an individual’s success in trading depends
Significantly on their psychology and mind-set. Although, regardless of how much experience
someone has or how much money they’ve previously made, anyone is capable of making bad
calls in their trades.

So what separate us female traders to the men and why we can be better traders than them? Though, not “all” females can be better traders. There are always exceptions to the rule. There are those females that do not want to deal with finances (personal or business) and the financial markets as a whole and want to have males handle this fancy job…

First, Female do not worry all that much about things that are not in their control. Naturally focus on the objective information (what is real) the Key in successful trading. In trading, it is the objective and logical mindset that gets paid from the subjective emotional mindset. When trading opportunity arises and it is time to take action (aka. pull the trigger), the female mindset tends naturally to execute the trade that has planned out (homework). Female mind has the naturally logical mindset needed to understand the material quickly. Male mindset has difficulty keeping things simple, naturally trying to complicate the process.
An example would be to constantly add subjective indicators and oscillators (if you ever use this) that can lead to trouble for any trader. Men also tend to be focused on trying to predict the future whereas a woman uses simple logic to consistently make the correct choice. They have the natural ability to keep things
objective, simple and logical. The man tends to have trouble in these areas, which can make trading for him more difficult than it has to be.

Second, what makes women more successful is the fact that they don’t have the “alpha male complex”. One of the main problems in men was that trading for men was mostly about being better than other men (an alpha male competition) and this led men to take unnecessary risks and to feel extremely bad when they didn’t make extraordinary gains. Women, on the other hand, tend to lack this urge to compete, focusing much more on whether or not they are doing things right rather than on whether or not they are doing things better than someone else.

Third, women in general tend to much more risk averse than men. Certainly women tend to risk less and to take higher probability setups, meaning that they are much more careful with their money and less likely to have more account wipeouts than men on their learning process.

Forth, although the tools are generally the same, women tend to have a much easier grasp at interconnecting several different aspects of the market. Since their brain seems to be better overall at forming connections between different matters, women are better at watching the “whole picture” while men tend to get stuck in small details which do not allow them to see what is happening overall.

Many men would also think that women have a harder time dealing with the emotional side of trading (since they are generally thought to be much more emotional) but the truth is that this is far from the case and in most cases women are more emotional but much MORE emotionally intelligent than men…ehem Since women are in general more in touch with the way in which they feel about things they tend to handle their emotions better and make less stupid mistakes based on the way in which a trade or a trading result makes them feel.

Why women tend to avoid becoming traders? The answer seems to lie on the fact that women tend to choose to do things which have more meaning besides the intent to make money. Those who do tend to have very money-oriented personalities and a very strong idea of being better than men at this. That said, it seems that women who become traders have a set of very specific goals and mindset which are not very common amongst other female in general. Of course it is true that this may change as the success of women in trading becomes more well known and it would definitely be great if women became a much larger part of the overall trading community.

So although the above advantages against men do not apply to all women (nor the problems to all men) traders hold the upper hand when talking about succeeding in trading. Their lack of an “alpha male complex”, their higher emotional intelligence and their ability to see and connect things beyond what men can do in most cases is what makes women such good candidates for becoming excellent traders ().

If the main driven for men to become successful in trading are Money, Power, and Women, so are the main motivation to us female to become successful at this? Money, Sense of Security…and …and a life time of shopping ? Hmmm…I am not exactly sure. I have to think about this one…

[/I]

References: Who Makes a Better Trader, Men or Women? | The Options Insider

ader/1739.article
Women in Trading: Why They Rarely Do It and Why They Are Better At It | Mechanical Forex
better-at-it.html

Read more: 301 Moved Permanently

5 Likes

[QUOTE=“PipNRoll;619981”]I research, read articles and combine it with own words about what a GOOD “Female Traders” are and their characteristics. I post these on my old thread and I thought I should post it here as well…just for fun :slight_smile: ___________________________________________________ Female traders…ha! yah right. Yeah, I know I can feel your doubt about this (to some alpha male out there) but just hold on your horses and see if female have these traits to become a successful traders as well. So lets take a look at what are the key personality traits of a successful trader. 1.) The ability to stay focused. 2.) Remain calm under pressure. 3.) Adapt to new information and trends. 4.) Use their initiative. 5.) The ability to do multi-tasking (I just add this …just because ) As with many aspects of wealth appreciation, an individual’s success in trading depends Significantly on their psychology and mind-set. Although, regardless of how much experience someone has or how much money they’ve previously made, anyone is capable of making bad calls in their trades. So what separate us female traders to the men and why we can be better traders than them? Though, not “all” females can be better traders. There are always exceptions to the rule. There are those females that do not want to deal with finances (personal or business) and the financial markets as a whole and want to have males handle this fancy job… First, Female do not worry all that much about things that are not in their control. Naturally focus on the objective information (what is real) the Key in successful trading. In trading, it is the objective and logical mindset that gets paid from the subjective emotional mindset. When trading opportunity arises and it is time to take action (aka. pull the trigger), the female mindset tends naturally to execute the trade that has planned out (homework). Female mind has the naturally logical mindset needed to understand the material quickly. Male mindset has difficulty keeping things simple, naturally trying to complicate the process. An example would be to constantly add subjective indicators and oscillators (if you ever use this) that can lead to trouble for any trader. Men also tend to be focused on trying to predict the future whereas a woman uses simple logic to consistently make the correct choice. They have the natural ability to keep things objective, simple and logical. The man tends to have trouble in these areas, which can make trading for him more difficult than it has to be. Second, what makes women more successful is the fact that they don’t have the “alpha male complex”. One of the main problems in men was that trading for men was mostly about being better than other men (an alpha male competition) and this led men to take unnecessary risks and to feel extremely bad when they didn’t make extraordinary gains. Women, on the other hand, tend to lack this urge to compete, focusing much more on whether or not they are doing things right rather than on whether or not they are doing things better than someone else. Third, women in general tend to much more risk averse than men. Certainly women tend to risk less and to take higher probability setups, meaning that they are much more careful with their money and less likely to have more account wipeouts than men on their learning process. Forth, although the tools are generally the same, women tend to have a much easier grasp at interconnecting several different aspects of the market. Since their brain seems to be better overall at forming connections between different matters, women are better at watching the “whole picture” while men tend to get stuck in small details which do not allow them to see what is happening overall. Many men would also think that women have a harder time dealing with the emotional side of trading (since they are generally thought to be much more emotional) but the truth is that this is far from the case and in most cases women are more emotional but much MORE emotionally intelligent than men…ehem Since women are in general more in touch with the way in which they feel about things they tend to handle their emotions better and make less stupid mistakes based on the way in which a trade or a trading result makes them feel. Why women tend to avoid becoming traders? The answer seems to lie on the fact that women tend to choose to do things which have more meaning besides the intent to make money. Those who do tend to have very money-oriented personalities and a very strong idea of being better than men at this. That said, it seems that women who become traders have a set of very specific goals and mindset which are not very common amongst other female in general. Of course it is true that this may change as the success of women in trading becomes more well known and it would definitely be great if women became a much larger part of the overall trading community. So although the above advantages against men do not apply to all women (nor the problems to all men) traders hold the upper hand when talking about succeeding in trading. Their lack of an “alpha male complex”, their higher emotional intelligence and their ability to see and connect things beyond what men can do in most cases is what makes women such good candidates for becoming excellent traders (). If the main driven for men to become successful in trading are Money, Power, and Women, so are the main motivation to us female to become successful at this? Money, Sense of Security…and …and a life time of shopping ? Hmmm…I am not exactly sure. I have to think about this one… References: Who Makes a Better Trader, Men or Women? | The Options Insider http://www.londonlovesbusiness.com/b…f-the-woman-tr ader/1739.article Women in Trading: Why They Rarely Do It and Why They Are Better At It | Mechanical Forex better-at-it.html Read more: http://forums.babypips.com/newbie-island/56499-talk-me-8.html#ixzz2yWdSmHzC[/QUOTE]

I’m sure a lot of females have these qualities ,
Probably to most females trading dose not catch there interest . But most ladies I met that trade fx are much older and some of them very successful most of them .

Very good points though I would have say gender Dose not matter when it comes to FX IMO ,

I haven’t finished reading all that. It’s a lot. But I do have to say… Females are no more logical than males. Maybe you as a trader think more logically than other females. But that statement is not true over all. Women are naturally wired to be more emotional than men.

Will you 2 just get a room :18::o:26::64:

2 Likes

[QUOTE=“WinPsych;619991”] Will you 2 just get a room :18::o:26::64:[/QUOTE]

Lol …*

Absolutely! You should get your room… its getting so crowded in here. Do you want me to show you the exit door so you wont get lost?

I will absolutely go and lose myself now and take my misunderstood; and perhaps inappropriate, but never mean sense of humour with me.

[QUOTE=“WinPsych;619996”] I will absolutely go and lose myself now and take my misunderstood; and perhaps inappropriate, but never mean sense of humour with me.[/QUOTE]

Lol dw about it , people just get soo defensive soo quickly especially females … Lol this why most of them don’t trade they can’t handle there emotions

I am all about having fun, jokes, etc. and all but if someone I think crosses the line its not okay…I might have cross a line to at some point but I might not know until someone tells me so… Same thing :slight_smile:

I’m good :slight_smile:

Leg0nd is a trading buddy…joke was aimed at him. Glad you are good and not rage trading.
I am now permanently lost.

Lol it’s fine… This is not the first and the last… I have encountered worse :slight_smile: I bet you I have a tougher and know more how to deal with Pschycological emotions than you do :slight_smile: well, I would probably just keep that to myself…

Night all…

Lol. I don’t even have to fight a war, people fight it for me lol. I have missed the fun and humor in this forum. Have a good night :slight_smile:

Oh please… You run away and hide… Lol silly

Your the one running off saying good night lol. I’m still here, just in the background. Catching up on a very interesting series that gives me ideas xD

PipNRoll,
thank you for your invaluable contribution… What would we do without you?

Your quoted article really covers all the issues at the heart of the thread topic, and there really is nobody better than you, a successful (by all accounts) female trader and career woman. . .

In the end, when confronted with the thought that my female students will just go on to sweep the floor with their hard-earned degrees, it does spur me on to try giving them, and their male colleagues, a sense of urgency in their OWN responsibility to mark further changes in gender inequalities: it would be a trifling matter if such inequalities only pertained to the world of Forex trading; the truth is that pay inequality and a career ‘glass’ ceiling are still issues that are very much present across many walks of life. In other words, whether you are a woman, or an ethnic minority, or your sexual orientation is the opposite of straight, you will find doors closed and may have to work twice as hard to get to the top, which often comes at a heavy personal cost - no private life, no chance to work less, no sympathy from anyone.

The facts speak for themselves: in the UK, for example, a study quoted in last week’s ‘The Week’ publication, shows that women occupy 77% of administrative and secretarial roles, 82% in ‘caring, leisure and other services’, but only…
20% of ‘science, research, engineering and technology’ roles. . . You could say that this is because it is their choice to do so, but the evidence clearly shows that gender is constructed by society, and if you grow up being discouraged to pursue certain careers - Formula 1 driving, for example - because ‘unsuitable for women’, then is it any surprise that some careers are not chosen by women?

The construct of gender roles starts at an early age: in Sweden, for example, positive discrimination towards women has been official policy since 1998, and the use of positive, ‘strong’ female role models from nurseries all the way through education (e.g. in using books that have a better balance of male and female protagonists and in using gender-neutral toys) has meant that, unlike other countries in Europe, Sweden has 13 out of 24 female government ministers (compared, say, with only 4 out of 22 in the UK).

How often are we, the men, encouraged as much as women, in the workplace and socially, to take time off work to be with our family, and with our children? Recently, major investment banks have stated that their employees should not work on weekends, in preparation for reforms on early/junior careers in the sector… Bank of America Investment Banking Analysts Jumping for Joy Over Firm’s Weekend Policy - ABC News This is exactly the right step toward ‘de-alpha-maling’ the work place, because in the end, a society that works less but has more family bonding is a richer society… If you spend 25% time less at work, and gave that time to yourself and your partner and/or family, you would not only save a bomb on nursery/childcare fees but actually reap the rewards in having been able to share so much more of your family’s lives, joys, triumphs, and also to support them more in harder times.

To sum it up: more women in high-end careers, but also less work culture for both men and women… Anyone watching ‘Borgen’, the Danish tv series about a (female) prime minister, knows exactly what kinds of difficult choices a career woman, but also a career man (her husband), has to make…So the point is not just to encourage women to take up high-end ‘male’ careers, but also to redress the entire work culture to make it more family-friendly: work creches, flexible (‘flexi’) working hours, working from home, and extended paternity leave are but few of the measures that are making a difference now, and that we need to see more of, not less of.

Food for thought…

1 Like