Why we need more (good) female traders

Thank you for making an appearance on this thread, Lexy, which really ought to be yours and PipNRoll’s!

I guess this is okay but for female career/corporate traders the glass ceiling is more of a problem than for home-based, independent female traders.

Many think this is not really for ladies, but that is not really correct as many women are already doing well in the market. I feel women are composed with everything they do.

Interesting article! Thanks PMH! :slight_smile:

There is always so much wisdom to be picked up from these experienced, successful traders whether male or female.

Here are some gems that “spoke” to me in this article:
[I]
" I have been trading Forex for the past 14 years… The method mainly uses our proprietary Box Theory to identify the direction, with the [B]integration of applied Elliott Wave and advance Fibonacci[/B] as a timing tool for trade execution."[/I]
(Note: not all successful traders are PA! :D)

[I]" Some traders easily believe that by learning a concept or strategy, they could trade successfully and win money. [B]They forget that trading requires experience which has to be accumulated over time[/B]. Instead of mastering a technique, many traders become course-seminar junkies where they pick many techniques which they give up and throw away in a flash. [B]Too many inputs are being considered – from the news, fundamental to the technical[/B]. This makes their analysis messy or lacking a clear-headed approach. They believe in get-rich-quick schemes involving robots, ‘secret techniques’ but lose sight of long-term training, mastery, and growing the right trading psychology."

" Instead of day trading, I take a longer view of markets. This makes me very profitable compared to those who have lots of time staring at screen. They end up losing more money because of short term noise. I don’t stare at my trading screen. I spend about an hour or two analysing trades only, with the rest of the time distributed between business building, family, and exercising".

“[B]Learning about yourself and how you behave in the financial markets is the most important skills[/B] if one wishes to be successful.”

“[B]Be detail-oriented [/B]and do not be impulsive.”

“In the beginning, focus on experience rather than profits. Focusing on the small profits and losses will make you feel discouraged. Instead, you should [B]focus on the experience that trading is giving you[/B]. [B]Learn from each of them so that you can improve your decision-making process in the future[/B].”
[/I]

Call me a skepchick (which has been said, and not undeservedly, probably), but for myself, I can’t help instinctively wondering, in cases like this, when the “two female traders” mentioned in the title actually turn out to be (i) someone running a business that sells training courses, and (ii) a finance blogger, what proportion of their incomes actually come from trading. They are both “vendors”, really, after all, aren’t they?

Maybe I’m merely displaying my own prejudices, here (perhaps better than concealing them?), but I know I’d think this and probably say it if they were two men, so it would arguably be a bit hypocritical of me not to wonder about exactly the same thing when they’re female. [I]Sorry[/I]. I’m “just saying”. :8:

[I]Clearly[/I] there’s some interesting content in the article, of course!

Lexy, yes you are a real pro detective! :smiley:

But I don’t see much cause to doubt their word here, afterall, the blogger even calls herself an investor rather than trader, which certainly matches her style - and only since 2014. She has ambitions rather than history.

Binni, on the other hand, claims a long history of even 20 yrs with equities and is a co-founder of that Company. Kind of makes me wonder if there is a possible image of Lexy further down the road here, albeit in a slightly different type of business?

Neither actually claim to have made huge incomes from trading, rather they are merely emphasising what they feel are differences in the trading approaches of women compared with men.

Either way, they said some things that ring very true with me (in fact made me feel embarrassingly feminine :o when identifying with what they said!!!) but which are surely good for Newbies to ponder on?

Yes; I do agree with your comments, above. :cool:

A shoe-shop, in my case … (“I should last so long”!).

But not in the UK, I guess?

No, indeed … not in the UK. I expect I’ll stay another 2-3 years and then, all being well, either go home or maybe even move on to some other warm island nation with fibreoptic cable internet readily available.

I do love your shoes lexys.

(Damn! Wish I hadn’t said that. Maybe I’m spending too much time at babypips…)

Aren’t we all? (But thank you, anyway.) :8:

Yet another article referring to the University of Leicester study (and the difference brought by testosterone to trading behaviour), and focusing on the Filipino trader Charmel Delos Santos, a former analyst who founded HighHeeledTraders in Jan. 2013:

Men and Women Trade Differently – continnect

Delos Santos was one of the first traders who I featured on this growing thread, so it is with great pleasure to reintroduce her to anyone who did not know her website.

1 Like

I most certainly do. I like this forum, there’s always something new one can learn.

Female traders and investors on Twitter;

new list for 2017:

Female investors to follow on Twitter in 2017 - Forex Alchemy

EP: 112 Trade Fibs Like Royalty | FuturesRadioShow

It’s quite refreshing to see this quoted post, not so much because she is a woman (I’m not s3xist, and openly admit that all women I know are better with money than I am), but more so because it’s now becoming a theme that Fibonacci is a myth and a non profit generating approach here on BP [and other FX forums].

I personally never got the point of finding Fib levels beneficial over that of standard price related S&R levels (although the correlation was certainly apparent).

I guess this is proof that what works for one individual (and what works very well for an individual according to her article) can be the worst approach for other individual traders.

On International Women’s Day, J.P.Morgan Chase did its bit to showcase its commitment to diversity and gender equality:

https://www.ft.com/content/657df9bc-08cf-11e7-97d1-5e720a26771b