Why we need more (good) female traders

Ps: I read ALL your posts, naturally.

https://www.ft.com/content/a215b5f6-d05a-11e7-9dbb-291a884dd8c6

1 Like
1 Like

A bit off topic but still somehow related.

Tagging @ria_rose here - being that sheā€™s a millennial woman (I think?). Do you work in the finance industry? Or are you the only one among your peers trading? Would be very interesting to know. I know no other millennial woman whoā€™s into trading.

1 Like

OMG! :blush: I feel so flattered being tagged here. Huhu. Iā€™ve always thought that I donā€™t have enough experience to be part of this thread. :frowning: Haha. Iā€™m very much a millennial woman. :stuck_out_tongue: But Iā€™m not part of the finance industry. In fact, my friends donā€™t know that Iā€™m trying this out. :smiley: Being from the liberal arts, I guess people just assume that Iā€™m not gonna venture into anything as technical as trading. :stuck_out_tongue:

The article @PipMeHappy shared really reflects reality. :frowning: Iā€™m from a service-oriented industry and these are just some things we have to endure to be able to earn a couple of bucks. :cry:

2 Likes

Iā€™m sad to hear this. Do you have any ideas on how this might be changed for the better?

To be honest, Iā€™m not really sure. :cold_sweat: I thought it should be easy to respect other people as human beings, and not as sexual objects. :frowning: :frowning: As it turns out, some people just canā€™t do that. :confounded:

2 Likes

A good reason why nobody, male or female, should find they want to work in Wall Street.

2 Likes

It creates an illusion of a powerful woman, donā€™t you think? :frowning: As a woman, I thought it would be such a statement to be out there with the big names of Wall Street, only to find out that they arenā€™t invincible. :frowning: And that they also go through this abuse. :frowning:

1 Like

@PipMeHappy

"ā€¦
Not all millennials the FT talked to think sexual harassment and gender discrimination are a problem for their generation.

A 21-year-old Russian working in the City said the topic of sexual harassment was ā€œpaid too much attentionā€. A French woman working as an economic consultant in London said that while she had ā€œheard more complaintsā€ from her peers ā€œI personally did not think those were an issueā€.

She believes that millennials are too sensitive about gender issues. ā€œAlthough millennials aim to create equality, I think they are instead widening the divide. Personally I think that the whole #metoo movement has taken things too far.ā€

A 21-year-old financial services recruiter working in the UK said people ā€œseem to take offence too easily these days just because of the big hype around gender diversity where there is no need and no harm is being causedā€.

ā€œOf course, I believe that there should be gender equality and itā€™s amazing how far womenā€™s rights especially, have come,ā€ she added. ā€œBut sometimes there is too much pressure on ā€˜what is right to sayā€™.ā€

A millennial man working at an asset management company in London said that the work environment he had experienced in Singapore and London had been ā€œprofessional and not inappropriate at allā€.
Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2018. All rights reserved.

Comments have not been enabled for this article.
Latest on Sexual misconduct allegationsā€¦"

Permeates all industries, sadly.

2 Likes

Sorry to fly past everybodyā€™s comments, thank you for talking about these issuesā€¦ Sometimes on this thread I felt like a lonely, lonely voice and got sick of my own echo! Really need people to come here and talk these issues overā€¦ I have posted this before www.everydaysexism.com and whenever anyone tells me that women in ā€˜the Westā€™ are equal to men and have it ā€˜goodā€™ I just send them this link and tell them to please read the stories in there. . . The worst kinds of stories on that site tell of women who are or were sexually harassed in the classroom and on the streets, some as early as eleven, nine, etc. often by grown men shouting obscenities at them from cars, approaching them at bus stops or on their way homeā€¦ Terrifying, demeaning, hurtful experiences. When people say that women who objectify men are ā€˜just as badā€™ they do not understand that men have not ever had to be afraid of women to the point where verbally sexual comments are seen as a possible preamble to physical touching and possibly worse to comeā€¦ Women, on the other hand, have to always protect themselves so if a man crosses the road to pester you with unwanted comments on your body etc. it is scary as hell because you donā€™t know at that point what he is thinking and whether he is going to follow on that by putting his hands on you or dragging you into a bushā€¦ Sadly, though, the majority of sexual violence happens in the home or at the hand of ex-partners/husbands or members of the extended family as well as current partnersā€¦ So women are a lot safer (physically) on the streets than in their own homes, although out there they are subjected to builders, men in vans, cyclists, all sorts of men just constantly reminding them that they are just eye candy.

I really do not understand what can be done to change these cavemen and their little brainsā€¦do they not have sisters, mothers, wives, girlfriends, daughters? If they shout obscenities at random women in the street with no shame, how do they treat the women closer to them? I really would like to open their heads and see what part of their moral brain is malfunctioning. I honestly donā€™t get it, in fact I never will.

1 Like

Anyway, on a happier noteā€¦

Thanks to @Ananais for pointing me to the direction of this investor/adviser:

She was interviewed in 2017, here:

1 Like

Yawn !

Here we go again !

@Falstaff

,because @purtle 's and @ria_rose 's comments speak for themselvesā€¦

Iā€™m very thankful that we get to talk about these issues here! :blush: I thought that since itā€™s a male-dominated industry (and community), talking about realities like this is a no-no. :frowning: :cry: Still, thank you for somehow giving us the courage to talk about this. It already means a lot. :blush:

2 Likes

@ria_rose That is all that I could wish, and one of the reasons why I started this whole thread four years ago. . . @Falstaff talks about an interesting theory of men who seek to ā€˜rescueā€™ women and earn praise for this. For me it is an issue of social justice, and indeed it does not stop at womenā€™s rights but goes far widerā€¦ But THIS thread IS about women in finance and about giving them a voice, as well as giving women traders on Babypips a chance to express their view on these matters.

The majority of child sex abuse also happens in the home, though not all.

ā€œā€¦ā€œWe find it abhorrent because it challenges our ideas of women and motherhood,ā€ she explains. ā€œWe also find it frightening because we like to live with the idea that men are dangerous and women are safe, so when you see children to a male stranger in the park itā€™s dangerous but if theyā€™re talking to a woman it isnā€™tā€¦ā€

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11899484/Female-paedophiles-Why-women-sexually-abuse-children.html

Fortunately there are some signs that the propaganda is now so extreme that people are beginning to question some of itā€™s basic tenets

Wow, this topic has been derailed a bit, I guess.
The excerpt @PipMeHappy pasted in from FT raises some good points but still: peopleā€™s concerns about abuse should not be taken less seriously because some other people are ā€˜just fineā€™ and donā€™t see this problem to be so severe. Even within the same community, many conflicts can develop hidden from the colleaguesā€™ eyes, that doesnā€™t mean they donā€™t exist. Even if one person is affected, thatā€™s terrible and the experience should not be swept under the carpet.

2 Likes

@James.F Your post is 100% on the money. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. . .

@Falstaff I see where you are heading but I am just going to agree with @James.F in saying that we could be derailing the conversationā€¦ So I am not going to respond - others can.

On a different note, I have two more trader interviews that I am preparing and for which I have an agreement in principle, so keep your eyes on the thread in the next few days :slight_smile:

And thanks to everyone for keeping the tone of the debate civilised, it is a model of mutual respect that many forum users should aspire to.

3 Likes