Why would you stay on a sinking ship ? - Brexit!

What a brilliant precis !

Well somebody listened I guess - it’s been worth a few pips :slight_smile:

Good shout

Investment opportunities to watch for

Bleh.

Very simple.

The brexit is a clever cheme by france and germany to finally get the uk off the decition makers table.

Keep their market but silence them. Very clever.

There was never a country which was more “anti-everything” in the EU than the UK has been.

What the brexit means for the EU:
All headaches gone, customers market(money) staying. (Basicly this means= UK will become a colony of the EU, just like switzerland, norway and iceland)

Brexit puts the UK from a “deciding power in europe” country to the category of “who cares what they blabla?”

Pretty well planned and even better executed.

2 Likes

Yes, its all a power game. Its European “Risk”, with money as well as armies. The EU is not the game, its just a tactic within the game.

2021 then - !

I’ve pointed this issue out before - but I wasn’t aware that “Mays remain Treaty” did not cover exit from our commitment to bale out the Euro when it happens

Can somebody take that guy his computer away please? :joy:

1 Like

Sorry i have to say it. You need a reality check. Just like the medias you are reading.

The EU has a bailout fund of 1 trillion euros set up after the crisis in 2008. (In this 1 trillion fund which was set up in 2012the only EU country that did not participate in it is… surpriseee… the UK. Probably cause UK couldnt afford it back then battled with its own crisis) In comparison, thats more than double of the BoE QE programm which it needed to setup to bail out UKs economy in 2009. Its more than the FED QE program in 2009 and its more than the ECB QE program in 2012.

This is actually available money which is doing nothing else than sitting around.

The UK had several bailout programms after 2008. One still ongoing right now (after brexit vote BoE setted up a QE program of 400billion to ease the devestating effects of brexit).

In 2008 and the aftermatch UK struggled to bail out its own economy. People were already talking about a bancrupt UK. The GBP fell in 2 months by +50% from 2point-something to almost parity to the EUR and USD (2009).

And while the UK almost fell into bancruptcy what did the EU do?

EU bailed out:

Greece
Spain
Portugal
Ireland
Cyprus
Malta

All EU members

Annddd… on top of bailing out EU countries, the EU decided to bail out Iceland too.

…Why? Iceland isnt a EU member at all.

Simply cause we can and it was no big deal :wink::joy:

So what did you say again? I didnt even bother to watch your video. I know its crap. And im pretty sure nobody else here bothered to watch it too.

So what was the point again you making? Illusions much huh? Get a reality check mate.

1 Like

Wow, is any of that stuff actually accurate? Most of the stats you’ve mentioned are very different to my recollection from that time.

1 Like

Perhaps you need to recheck your “recollection”. And those were not “stats” at all, that “stuff” is history. Everything i wrote up there is fact.

BoE increases its existing bond purchase program (they stopped saying “quantative easening” caise they knew the idiotic public wont associate “bond purchase program” with QE - which in fact is exactly the same) by 10bn monthly to reduce the brexit referendum impacts.

Thats the only reason why the UK is not in a recession since 2016.

But im sure the brittish public doesnt know that QE can not be sustained forever and at some point money printing wont save a cuntry from a much worse recession.

Not only is the BoE the only central bank in the world which is still running a QE program right now but as well the only central bank which ever had to go as low as to actually start purchasing corporate bonds in order to stimulate the economy.

Ok Now explain - EXACTLY - what you mean by “EU Bailed out Greece” ? :smile:

U so funny :joy:

Go to school, im not your fee-free teacher :wink:

This may be of more interest to you: The Mistake Countries Repeatedly Make When Dealing With the EU | The New Republic

And this (as i knew youd try to use grece as some sort of justification example onto why brexit is so awesome): I'm Greek and I'm sick of my country being used by Leave supporters to justify a self-harming hard Brexit | The Independent

1 Like
1 Like

Good read… delves in to most of the BS that is happening in Europe right now…

From the same author as “The Big Short”, “The Fifth Risk” & “The Flash Boys”

1 Like

For anyone interested in modern history - Greece suffered particularly bad in the downturn of 07/08 - their gov bonds were at risk of not being honoured at maturity in 2010 (many thanks to the rating agencies for having declared them ‘junk’)

A second bailout was necessary the year later.

The EC/ECB/IMF created a bailout fund mainly to pay the bond holders - conditions attached were known as ‘austerity’ measures - meaning ordinary people had to pay.

Most bond holders were banks - the same banks who some argued helped the Greek misreport stats by selling various derivatives - (would banks do such a thing?).

Anyways the good news is that unlike in Ireland the EC ‘persuaded’ some creditors to take a haircut - this persuasion was down mainly to A Merkel.

Good news is that Greece exited the programme in August 2018.

Was the bailout coupled with austerity worth it, should the bond holders have been burned?

Is the argument that they took a risk for a specific return and lost valid?

2 Likes

Unfortunately yes.

The particular striking issue here was the common currency. If greece defaults on its liabilities the euro dominated liabilities become worthless which as well will put other euro liabilities in risk by destabilizing the euro to levels where all other countries would have had to pay insane obligations.

If greece never joined the euro (they anyways only managed to join the euro by manipulating their numbers to “inflate” their economic output and stability) then they would have gone bancrupt in the crisis and a new start would have been quicker, but for sure not easier or with less austerity, for greece.

It was their luck that they were in the eurozone. Otherwise nobody would have had set up a program to help them and tge effects were much more devastating to them.

If you wonder what it means that a country bails on its bonds then take a look at argentina and venecuela and tell me if tgeir fate is a better alternative than what greece had abd is having now.

People only always see the bad sides first, they never see the true and real alternatives and how much worse they could have been.

1 Like

[Edit to reinstate TWB’s link ]
https://www.amazon.com/Boomerang-Travels-New-Third-World/dp/0393343448

Thank you for that link @Trendswithbenefits. It’s good to see people with the knowldege and insight of your good self participating in this thread.

I’ve ordered it. As indeed I have the film “the big short” which @peterma (I think ) recommended a few days ago somewhere.

I assume from the write ups that his understanding will be pretty similar to my own, but always good to hear a dissertation from a credible researcher :sunglasses:

Have you come across this one mate ?

Really enlightening study which explains in quite understandable language the underpinning mechanism of “modern money and debt slavery” and how it works.
[Note;] - This book is the only credible explanation I have ever found as to the mechanism causing “the business cycle” - which classical economics singularly fals to address.

It also explains the mechanism used in creatng “banana republics” - Which has a great many parallels to the mechanism employed in sucking the “mediterranean members of the Euro currency” into huge debts by what are effectively German Banks, who knew that the “respectable members” of the EU would underpin any amout of debt denominated in “Euros” and at the same time allowing those countries with rather poorer “credit ratings” to over-exend themselves in much the same way as detailed here;

The real question one has to resolve is whether the “EU” is some form of benevolent super state before which we should all prostrate ourselves and to which we should all give up all hope of sovereignty, or whether it is (deliberately engineered ? ) or just formulated in ignorance and without understanding.

To the majority of those in the Uk it doesn’t matter in reality which of tehse it is - we just want as far away from that monster as possible and with no commitment to “baling out” the Euro zone when it all comes crashing down !

Yanis Varoufakis gives his take on it in his address to the Oxford Union December 2018) - which may be food for thought for some of the more open minded “Remainers” ?

“You can check out any time you like - but you can never leave” (Hotel California)

Thank you too for your post @peterma, which is helpful and informative,

1 Like

This guy seems to be the more serious and one of little still sane UK politian

1 Like

Aye, a person has to think, why did A Merkel intervene, why encourage the haircut?

In ireland’s case there was a strong political argument for the bond holders to burn, it happened that a certain sense prevailed, yet my own family went through the rigours of austerity and it’s not easy to witness.

I am truly thankful that both Greece and Ireland have emerged the other side, in both cases the EU were a huge help.

On the Brexit front (thread title) I am also grateful to the UK NHS who very swiftly replaced our lost EHIC cards for our upcoming Spanish trip.

For our US friends the EHIC card is foc and entitles the holder to healthcare even in a non EU country:

1 Like