Will Morgan Stanley Continue Hitting Fresh Records? | Technical Analysis

Morgan Stanley (NYSE: MS) traded in a consolidative manner after hitting a fresh all-time high at 77.16 last Tuesday. Overall though, the stock continues to trade above the upside support line drawn from the low of October 29th, as well as above all three of our moving averages on the 4-hour chart. Thus, with all those technical signs in mind, we would consider the near-term outlook of this stock to be positive.

Today, ahead of the US opening bell, the bank reports its quarterly earnings with expectations pointing to a USD 1.27 per share on sales of USD 11.54bn. Earnings in the same period a year ago were USD 1.2 on USD 10.86bn. A positive surprise may result in a positive gap in the share price and may lead to a break above the record of 77.16, something that may open the way towards the psychological round figure of 80.00. Now, in case the earnings surprise to the downside, we may see some further declines, but if the price stays above the aforementioned upside line, we would still see decent chances for a rebound.

Taking a look at our short-term oscillators, we see that the RSI lies above 50, but points down, while the MACD runs within its positive territory, but lies below its trigger line. Both indicators detect slowing upside speed, increasing the chances for a minor retreat before the next leg north.

Having said all that, in order to abandon the bullish case and start examining decent declines, we would like to see a strong break below the round figure of 70.00, which is also marked by the inside swing high of January 4th. The stock will already be below the aforementioned upside line and may initially target the inside swing high of December 9th, at 65.40. Another break, below 65.40, may extend the fall towards the 61.60 territory, marked by the low of November 30th.

Disclaimer:

The content we produce does not constitute investment advice or investment recommendation (should not be considered as such) and does not in any way constitute an invitation to acquire any financial instrument or product. The Group of Companies of JFD, its affiliates, agents, directors, officers or employees are not liable for any damages that may be caused by individual comments or statements by JFD analysts and assumes no liability with respect to the completeness and correctness of the content presented. The investor is solely responsible for the risk of his investment decisions. Accordingly, you should seek, if you consider appropriate, relevant independent professional advice on the investment considered. The analyses and comments presented do not include any consideration of your personal investment objectives, financial circumstances or needs. The content has not been prepared in accordance with the legal requirements for financial analyses and must therefore be viewed by the reader as marketing information. JFD prohibits the duplication or publication without explicit approval.

There are risks involved with trading of cash equities. Past performance is not indicative of future results. You should consider whether you can tolerate such losses before trading. Please read the full Risk Disclosure.

Copyright 2021 JFD Group Ltd.

Such strange times. Lets watch the 70.0 level

Thanks for sharing the information. I have read a few of your articles in the past also and all of them have been of great help in my trading career. I got to make certain trading decisions on the basis of your charts and they actually turned out to be profitable. Keep doing the good work.

1 Like

It’s always a delight to read your articles. I have read your previous articles also and was able to make my decisions on the basis of them and they actually worked. Even the charts you share are easily understandable and I am sure that I can depend on this one also.

1 Like