Win ratio

Overview

Last night’s breakout was modest, but trade-able. If your profit target was modest, as well — i.e., it your weren’t greedy — then you should have done okay. My profit targets were too large, and I struggled as a result.

I placed 2 orders in each direction last night, with a 30-pip TP1, and a 60-pip TP2. The breakout to the downside hit my Sell Entry orders, but failed to reach TP1. After futzing around for a couple of hours, the price headed for my SL, missing it by just a fraction of a pip.

When it headed down again, I started tightening my Take-Profit orders. After babysitting the thing for half the night, I managed to get out with 10 pips on one order, and 20 pips on the other —altogether, just one-third of my original profit objective.

Later, on the news spike at 4:30am my time, the GU ran past my previous SL, and would have taken me out, had I not managed out of the trade earlier.

So, for me, last night, managing my position saved me 10 pips + 20 pips + 30-pip SL1 + 30-pip SL2 = 90 pips, over a set-it-and-forget-it strategy. Last night, active management saved me a bunch of pips. Night before last, active management cost me a bunch of pips. Go figure.

To my mind, the jury is still out on whether active management beats set-it-and-forget-it over the long run. If the two methods produce basically the same results, long term, then there’s no return on invested time for the extra hours spent staring at your screen, and tweaking your trades.

So, what is our chart showing us tonight?

1. A channel is forming. Why is this important? Because the boundary lines of channels (and triangles, pennants, etc.) are sloping support and resistance lines. The price will fail to breach these lines, as long as the channel (or other pattern) is intact. So, in our analysis, we have to give these channel boundaries the same respect we give to horizontal support and resistance levels. This newly-formed channel has a lower boundary line which is falling away from our breakout zone. But, the upper boundary line is crowding the current Period HIGH — so, we will take account of it.

2. The shape of tonight’s chart (the part inside the “box”) looks very much like last night’s chart. “It’s like deja-vu all over again”, as Yogi Berra would say.

For the “long view”, I’ve switched to a 15-minute chart (below), instead of my favorite 5-minute chart, because it’s easier to read at this reduced size. Later, I’ll post a close-up of tonight on the 5-minute chart.

Thaaaaaaat’s all, Folks (until midnight).

Clint

here is my “30”$ chart order for tonight. :slight_smile:
As usual, 30TP 50SL and I will see tomorrow what I got out of it. :smiley:

[B]Hey, Mike[/B]

Consider FXCM (UK). Check their website for info. I think they meet your specs.

There may be a triangle — a larger one than you drew — a triangle which incorporates Robert’s $1b spike. (Robert and his bank buddies are a sly bunch.) Take another look at triangle possibilities.

Clint

Will the market respect the channel, the triangle — or neither one?

Note that I have revised the HIGH upward by 2 pips.

Now I see the channel since you pointed it out.
Thanks, I’ll check out the fxcm

ah! now I have the same triangle that you have.

Notes on the GBP/USD Breakout Strategy for Wednesday/Thursday:

The upcoming news release at 06:00 GMT (see details below) may hold the GBP/USD in a tight range until that time.
Then, depending on what the news is, there could be an explosive breakout.

The GBP/USD 5-minute bid-price chart, below, shows the orange channel and the green triangle which are still intact patterns. Expect both to be broken this morning.

As for Entry, SL and TP levels, whatever has worked for you in the past, should work for you this morning.
I have not put my Entry Orders on the chart, but I have listed them below.

Resistance and Support levels for this morning:

R 1.6523 Monday 7/27 high (on the 07:10 GMT candle)
R 1.6466 Wednesday 7/29 high (on the 13:15 GMT candle) —STRONG
R 1.6444 Tuesday 7/28 (on the 18:30 GMT candle) — STRONG

S 1.6310 Wednesday 7/22 low (on the 07:05 GMT candle) — STRONG
S 1.6300 Wednesday 7/15 low (on the 05:00 GMT candle) —STRONG
S 1.6264 Friday 7/17 low (on the 12:00 GMT candle) — STRONG
S 1.6239 Tuesday 7/14 (on the 18:00 GMT candle)
S 1.6200

Economic News Release: British Nationwide House Price Index (HPI), month-over-month figures, at 06:00 GMT
(note the unusual time of this release)

Here’s what FF says about this report:

FF Notes — This is the UK’s second earliest report on housing inflation. The impact tends to be significant but varies from month to month.

Why Traders Care — It’s a leading indicator of the housing industry’s health because rising house prices attract investors and spur industry activity.

For the current Period: HIGH 1.6405 BID. LOW 1.6337 BID.

Here are my Entry Orders for this morning:

BUY 1.6414, SL 1.6384, TP 1.6444 (note that my TP falls on a strong resistance level)

SELL 1.6331, SL 1.6361, TP 1.6301 (if there is too much support at 1.6310, I will bail out)

Good luck this morning.

Clint

Clint hope you did not “bail out”.

that was a nice move up if you bought into it. I looked at the 6:00 area and didn’t see any real change in price due to the news item. the up move in price started a couple hours earlier looks like.

Oscar
I like the way your chart is blue in the day and black at night. is that an indicator? what it is it?

FXCM uk
I took a look and they have a $2,000 minimum but I want to start a lot smaller than that. Am I missing something?

Yes, SanMiguel was the one who posted it here “Trading Sessions” and I modified (butchered?) it just a little so it looks like that every time you apply it to any chart. :slight_smile:
The second to mark the times in yellow is called i-Session.
Both are in the attached zipfile, my pleasure to post it and thanks to SanMiguel for the first one, don’t know anymore who posted the “i-session” and where to give credit too. (Sorry to “whom it may concern”).
Right now, Master candle formed on the EURUSD M30, if anybody wants to trade it. Draw longer lines and wait till it brakes the line up or down. :slight_smile:

indicators.zip (3.76 KB)

[B]Hi, Mike[/B]

The news was released at 06:00 GMT (2am EDT). Almost all of the up-move this morning came after the news release.

Sorry to send you on a wild-goose chase. I thought that FXCM (UK) offered Micro accounts, same as FXCM (US). Apparently not.

Alpari UK has Micro accounts

Don’t worry about the goose chase, it’s better than a snipe hunt LOL
Besides, maybe it’s there and I missed it. I’ll talk to their live chat and find out for sure.

The news candle.
I looked at that again and I still don’t see anything unusual about it. Looks like the move up in price started in our rang at least 6 or 7 candles before the 6:00 candle. I think if you didn’t know it was a news event, you would look at that and not see anything unusual about it. Or is that just my lack of experience and misinterpreting it.

Thanks Oscar and SanMiguel for the zip file

I had a great week so far and now I am at “my” Friday problem but I think I found a solution, at least for this week.

I just stay out of it and have a look in the morning. :smiley:

clint: still looking forward to your chart and comments for tonight, right now the BB just start expanding.

Thursday/Friday Overview

Last night’s set-up, and the subsequent breakout this morning, were classic. Picture-perfect. A narrow overnight range, followed by a long, clean break to the upside, running for 140 pips over 4 hours. I hope you got a piece of that.

The breakout began an hour or so prior to the HPI release out of Britain (at 06:00 GMT), as the market positioned itself for the news. (There are always players who know — or think they know — something, in advance of official releases.)

When the news came out, there was no whip-saw, or other nastiness, just a relatively seamless continuation of the upmove which had already started.

Good stuff! Let’s do it again Friday morning.

So, what does the chart show us tonight (Thursday)?

The 1-hour chart shows the formation of a significant downward channel over the past 6 trading days. The channel is shown in orange lines, and the upper boundary line is labeled “1”. We’ll take a close-up look at that one in a couple of hours. The GBP/USD is probing that “1” Line. Is it telling us it wants to break out of this channel to the upside?

There’s a triangle to watch, as well. It’s absolutely certain that the triangle (shown in green) won’t survive the night. But, the break of either green line will serve as added confirmation of a breakout direction Friday morning.

More at midnight.

Clint

Thanks Clint,
Just changed my mind, I will trade tonight with smaller units. (Need Forex Anonymous :D)
That darn expanding channel got me thinking and it will expand into something. Into what? I will know tomorrow. :slight_smile:
My usual, TP30 SL 50.

I just tried to place my buy order just above the range line. I get an error message saying my order has to be at least 30 pips away from the market price. Is that just IBFX or do other brokers do that too?

I think I’ll just go ahead and do a market order since it looks to me like it’s going to go that way.

just bought at 1.65222 tp+30 sl-30

if you are using alpari 30 pips is 3 pips remeber that

Notes on the GBP/USD Breakout Strategy for Thursday/Friday:

Okay, guys, this could be good. The upper boundary line (Line “1”) of the the 6-day descending channel is now below the HIGH of the Overnight Period. This means that, in order to break out of the “box” to the upside, the pair must break the “1” line. If it does this with strength, we could see a nice move to the upside this morning.

There are several closely spaced resistance levels above the “box” (see below). Any one of them could pose a problem for the GU this morning.

Price action is saying that the pair wants to break out to the upside, but predicting is for fools.

Resistance and Support Levels for this morning:

R 1.6650 ----- STRONG
R 1.6619 Tue 6/30 (on the 11:45 GMT candle)
R 1.6600 ----- STRONG
R 1.6585 Thu 7/23 high (on the 15:25 GMT candle) ----- STRONG
R 1.6555 Tue 7/28 high (on the 07:35 GMT candle) ----- STRONG
R 1.6547 Mon 7/20 high (on the 19:15 GMT candle) ----- STRONG
R 1.6542 Fri 7/24 high (on the 07:30 GMT candle)

S 1.6467 Tue 7/28 high (on the 00:50 GMT candle) ----- STRONG
S 1.6457 Thu 7/30 (on the 13:45 GMT candle)
S 1.6400 ----- STRONG
S 1.6390 Tue 7/28 low (on the 23:40 GMT candle) ------ STRONG
S 1.6337 Wed 7/29 low (on the 23:35 GMT candle) ------ STRONG

Economic News Releases: none until 12:30 GMT — should not be a factor this morning

Period HIGH 1.6531 Bid. Period LOW 1.6476 Bid.

My Entry Orders for this morning:

BUY 1.6540, SL(30) 1.6510, TP(40) 1.6580

SELL 1.6470, SL(35) 1.6505, TP(50) 1.6420

Things are already moving. All of the above may be out-of-date, by the time I get this posted.

Good luck, this morning, guys.

Clint

cheers clint,

i think everybody has had a good week so far lets see if we can end it on a high note

I expected a bigger move up, but then what I am complaining, I got my 30 even on half what I usually do, it’s still plus. :slight_smile:
Wish all a happy weekend