Wish to learn more about automation

hi all, i’m still relative new to trading, but I came across this automation thing which made me curious and got a couple of questions (I posted it here vs the beginner section cause its more related to automated trading)

What i’m interested in is automated backtest and not the trade itself. Yes I know backtest should be done manually, and thats how i go about it, but before going all out manually on a strategy, I would rather have a ‘quick test’ to see it’s potential.

So, is auto backtest possible? if yes, is it worth learning a programming lanaguage just to do so? what languages would be the best compromise between efficiency and mild learning curve? python? or can this “coding” be done through software where you just key in the criteria of your strategy and the software does the rest? obviously I would like something beyond generic cross overs strategies and such, so more ‘customizable’ to suit my needs.

I dont mind learning basic coding if that would be enough, but if it needs months and months (if not years) of code learning than it might be a different story since my aim is only for backtest, at least for now

whats your suggestions about this?
any help would be thankful

PS i’m also checking the mt5 help section about the backtest strategy thing, but not sure if its the right place to start :confused:

my pov
if you want to do backtesting
you need to code your strategy or idea
and this can be done by learning a programming language like mql4 or 5 or others
or have somebody do the coding for you (and with this option your idea will not be yours anymore)