Would you say yes to getting paid in bitcoin?

I have a friend who started a crypto company back in 2017 (not sure if it’s still around today) but I know he and his employees were all getting paid in bitcoin.

If your boss tells you now that you have the option to switch to getting paid in bitcoin instead of your current currency, would you take it? :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Yes absolutely, paypal and others accept it now. Just have to be careful as the price fluctuates a lot

So a long time ago, I left the UK to work overseas and was paid in USD. During one decade I recall the exchange rate moving from $2.40 for £1, to $1.05 to £1, and back to $2.00 to £1. That was not the last time I have been paid in USD.

So for me, if I felt that the amount of BTC offered, and the duration of the contract, were advantageous to me, the answer is yes. What I mean by that, and by example I have had three occasions to be paid during the past year in Euro currency, if I deem there is a 20% advantage from the start, I would accept. However, in all cases there was at least a 20% disadvantage against being paid in GBP, so the decision was easy. I did not accept any of the offered contracts.

This is quite common in contracting where the skill set is international. When I was consulting at bp, the Brits went from being the cheapest regional commodity to the most expensive in the space of three years. In dollar terms, the Brit IT contractors were costing more than $1,000 per day when a USA based contractor was satisfied with $500 per day. Consequently on teleconference calls it was useful to accentuate an Australian twang in your voice so your US based colleagues didn’t think you were one of those “grand a day Brits” :rofl:

2 Likes

No. I have no interest in crypto currencies

3 Likes

I think it’s a poor idea while their prices are so volatile.

3 Likes

It’s a 100% yess from me!
Actually a bad idea to be paid in FIAT haha

3 Likes

When you accept money you are taking a piece of someone else’s debt. The value of money is dependent on the credibility, integrity and financial resources of that person. If I accept GBP here in the UK it is backed by the Bank of England (who are backed by the UK government). Neither could stand the consequences of bilking people out of the pounds which the BoE has issued.

Who stands behind crypto and how would their integrity be rated?

Interesting question. It depends a lot on the market that Bitcoin transactions are legalized in more and more countries worldwide. It is still a pretty unstable coin, and prices vary every day. That is why being paid in Bitcoin won’t always be advantageous.

1 Like

I beg to differ. This is what our government has been doing for hundreds of years, but hiding it in a stealth tax called inflation. In edit 1918 an ounce of gold was about £10. An ounce of silver was about £1 (one pound sterling meant one pound of silver (454 grams) - that was the definition of a pound. Now a pound of silver is worth about £270. So the silver is still silver - a metal that has not undergone alchemy. What has undergone alchemy is the good old Pound Sterling. The value of the pound in terms of its purchasing power has declined 270 times in just over 100 years. If that is credibility, integrity and financial resources, I’ll eat my hat.

This is all true, but there is little comparison between the comparisons - i.e. the £ against silver and crypto against silver. Nor would a UK government in a tight squeeze be likely to order the BoE to scrap pounds as a currency - but they wouldn’t hesitate to do that with crypto. The prospect of foreign acquisitions of strategic interests funded purely in crypto would surely attract government intervention, especially if these were backed by a non-friendly state such as China.

I’m sure I’ll stick with the pound in my pocket. Though it won’t buy much more these days than a Crunchie.

1 Like

As a crypto enthusiast if a company pays me in btc i will take it. I believe BTC is going to be widely adopted as a payment in various industries. Imagine you are paid with BTC at the value of $50k and tomorrow the value increases to $52k, wouldn’t that be awesome and beneficial at the same time. In a matter of a day it increases your buying power, it’s about time that we start taking BTC very seriously as a payment and enjoy profits.

@carylneuman, on the other hand, like yesterday, it could be the day before payday, and your wages just got a 20% pay cut. (flash crash by nearly $10K per bitcoin). As long as your cost of living compared with your after-tax take home pay is sufficiently low (like half of your earnings) you can afford to do that. But I suspect that many people in the West today are actually spending between 100% and 120% of their after-tax take home pay and perhaps getting stressed, ill, depressed because of it. C’est la vie.

3 Likes

@Mondeoman what happened yesterday happens in every market. Moreover I think if you were to be paid in gold you wouldn’t say no to even if the market crashes right after, because you know the value of gold would increase in the coming time. Similarly I feel BTC’s value would increase in the coming time. And about the crash as I said I am a crypto enthusiast, BTC’s crash doesn’t affect me much since I have a diversified portfolio for passive income which helps me beat the inflation.

1 Like

What happened yesterday is exactly why I wouldn’t want to be paid in Bitcoin. Losing that much earned money in a day would sting. A lot.

1 Like

Sounds like if you get paid in bitcoin you could move to El Salvador. Finally!
I’m in!

2 Likes

That’s awesome. There was salary transparency then? :open_mouth:

Fair enough!

Definitely a gamble. But if you have enough savings, it could just work to your advantage in the future!

100%

Lol. See you there!

1 Like

No, I was an independent contractor, who could be stood down on a daily basis. My clients were in the UK, Germany and USA (Houston). I worked for three regional managers and was often asked to work for the Americas where the geographic boundaries did not fit into the global model. The cross-billing for my services from one region to another exposed the cost differences due to exchange rate changes.

Hi,
I make a distinct difference between what is acceptable for my time as a consultant, and what is acceptable to me in a trading or investment scenario.

So when I work and live in the UK, it makes sense to take remuneration in GBP. When I worked in the Middle East, I accepted USD since most of the middle east economy is linked more directly with the USD than with the EUR or GBP. So if I took an apartment one year (annual prepayment), I’d be taking a lower risk to receive my funds in USD than in GBP. It was the same when I worked in AsiaPac in the 1970/80s. At that time, most asian currencies were closely linked to the USD. It is about trying to derisk against many fluctuations, the exchange rate can be the most impacting. I worked with expatriates who were paid in GBP overseas, and their wages did not align well with their local cost of living. It cuts both ways but wages are one thing, trading and investing is another. I don’t mix them together. Keep it simple.

Gotcha. That makes sense.