Yahoo Japan to open Crypto Bitcoin Exchange

Good news for crypto markets in general. Another big name enters. Many large corps in Japan and Korea are already invested in crypto, so this seems like a move to keep up with the other big boys.

Taotao, a crypto exchange based in Japan, is planning to launch in May with the approval of Japanese authorities.

Taotao is a rebrand of an exchange that Yahoo Japan bought in 2018, called BitARGExchange Tokyo.

Japan are now involved in the cryptocurrency industry in a major way for sure

Asian countries, such as China, Japan and South Korea, have long been at the forefront of all things cryptos and blockchain, including mining, investment, job creation and trading volume.

Japan’s banking system is also far and ahead of most other countries in crypto adoption and support, with the top 3 major banking institutions backing local exchanges.

And Korea’s largest internet company, Kakao, which has a message app with over 200 million users, is integrating a cryptocurrency wallet into it’s platforms. Their payments app, KakaoPay, will open the door for crypto payments to some 12,000 merchants. Kakao just happens to own a subsidiary that last year started UpBit, a cryptocurrency-only exchange.

Asia has been invested for some time now.

I didn’t know that KakaoPay is gaining that much attention around the world, are you an active user of KakaoPay?

I am not a user of that platform.

Well, me too, anyways we should have a look whether it’s good or not really

Is that a messenger or what?

The payment app was integrated into Kakaotalk, the messaging app. Per Wikipeida,. after Kakoata;l hit 10 million subscribers, they received a $200 million investment from Alibaba’s Ant Financial. That’s a lot of users and a lot of money!

Everyone and their mother are opening cryptocurrency exchanges these days, it seems.

Oh, that’s why I mixed it up thanks!

Ahaha is that a really profitable business? Can’t imagine the costs of everything to open a regulated exchange

That’s the thing, most exchanges are unregulated. It’s a huge market with little regulation, so naturally, it can be pretty profitable.

And the exchanges offer API access in many cases to 3rd parties to let them offer buying the selling as well. For the retail client, lots of options which is nice, but like @mlawson71 said, you have to be able to trust who you give your money to.

But they are not so popular, though, are they? Due to low volume and insecurity

Don’t understand what you mean here, sorry :frowning: Does it mean that regulated exchanges allow third parties inside with access to all the users’ data?