Yen just went crazy

Anybody else seeing crazy swings right now on the charts? Just had a 200 pip move on USDJPY on the 5m.

1 Like

Yes. No idea what happened but I didn’t have any JPY positions or orders anyway, the Yen had got a little too bullish already.

Holy moly I had a long that went -200 pips. Recovered and only 20 pips down. Yikes.

3 Likes

Yikes. You were maybe a little aggressive taking a long on JPY?

BoJ Gov Ueda spoke today - he sounded not so confident that rate rises up ahead could be ruled out - was vague enough to scare the crowded Yen trades

1 Like

Yup, I sure was.

Ya, that big drop was a bit of a surprise. I was gearing up to go long as well. Not sure why it was a surprise, nothing market related should surprise me anymore.

1 Like

Wait til tomorrow…Non-Farm Payroll day.

It was Pearl Harbor Day after all

:star_struck:

Cheers for the heads up on this, it wasn’t on any of my economic calendars :weary:

The Yen had been strengthening all day during the Tokyo and London sessions, but that 250 point spike at 2am JST looks crazy, kind of sorry I missed it :sweat_smile: I did get a short trade in earlier in the day at least.

On a personal level, I hope the Yen’s rise continues, but as a trader, I just like the movement in any direction.

EDIT: Though with GDP Growth numbers coming in lower than expected just now… we might see, at least in the short term, a bit of a swing back the other way. (Or not… I still suck at estimating how much some of these numbers actually move the needle)

2 Likes

The moves looks like a knee jerk reaction to Ueda’s comments. Which was exacerbated by longs getting stopped out.

On USD/JPY, price bouncing off its daily 200 SMA.

If price can close higher than yesterday’s close, looks like a good long entry to target 147.00.

Yen is going crazy again. What’s driving this? What did I miss? Is it the Fed speech maybe?

I had no idea what was going to happen. But there was no way for me to get into the JPY pairs after last week’s event.

1 Like

Powell just commented about the risk of keeping rates too high too long.

Another cpl cpi’s on target and the chances of cutting increase.

Not a Yen move, it’s USD - check the Stock market for reaction.

Remember my two positions I had open short, basically at the bottom of trend right before all the monetary policy shift talk? Opened the first position at155.065 and the other at 154.96. I was down about 250 pips on each position by the time the peak EURJPY hit at 157.57.

I’m here to say I survived! So far realized loses of just $38. I reduced one position 2500 units to free up some margin causing the loss. I kept the other two open, and with the recent craziness, just closed them IN PROFIT.

So lucky.

1 Like

Oanda spreads on EURJPY just jumped to 15 pips for a bit.

Maybe I was too cautious in staying out of JPY pairs after the 07/12 drops across the board.

By coincidence this am I was sorting notes from the last trader conference I attended (pre-Covid!). A clear note was advice from one of the speakers on long bars - take the direction of the bar. And when I checked, 6 of the 7 leading JPY pairs have now closed lower than their 07/12 closes.

I think a sell order at the low of the 07/12 D1 bar would still do for my entry but my main issue would be placing the stop-loss. What do you think?

The low of that bar on the 7th was 153.19, not seen since July. With a 1000+ pip move since the peak at 164, theres was bound to be a retracement. A sell at the low on the 14th could of made you like 200 pips depending on the entry.

I’m looking at the daily on that day. The previous day was a lower close, so that would of been in line with a short in my mind, plus on wick.

1 Like

9 days since, how do you see it now?

Man, 250 pip drop since before Christmas. I would have thought going long. But that’s why I’m not a millionaire!

But today, that’s a tough call. Huge red candle a couple hours ago. Could still move lower to 155.40-50 or dump to 154.75. Or the recent bounce off the low on this uptrend I got drawn out is a reversal building.

I think we sit and wait a bit.