Your List of 5 Important Factors For Broker Selection

Hello Everyone,

Like a lot of people I want to choose a broker but would appreciate some advice form more experienced traders about important factors to look for when choosing a broker.

Some things I seen while browsing the forums included:

[B]1) Low spreads[/B] -3 or 4 pips on the major pairs, no more than 6 pips on any pair. this is not that important if you are making less than 20 trades a month. but watch out!!! all those little pips add up!
[B]2) Customer Support[/B] - call them up and ask a random question. do they act like pompous bastards?
[B]3) Guaranteed stops:[/B] make sure if your stop gets jumped in a fast move, make sure the brokerage will honor the stop. this could cause serious damage to your account! i once lost 20% of my account because of a missed stop.

What are your list of essential factors for broker selection and why? I’m sure a lot of people would appreciate to hear your opinions.

Thanks,
Greg

I’ll play, here’s my top 5:

1. spreads, EURUSD MUST be under 3 pips,
  2. must allow hedging and scalping,
  3. good customer service (I always make a phone call before opening an account),
  4. minimum required difference in pips between current price and price of a buystop or sellstop order must be reasonable (I closed Alpari account because during big news releases the minimum difference would jump to 30+ pips, NOT ACCEPTABLE),
  5. must have MT4 platform.

Low slippage, and no requote issues.

Nothing bothers me more.

I’ll live with a higher spread, rather than miss a pending order because I was gone, and come home to a requote window.

So who would you reccomend?

Even though low spreads are attractive due to negative stories about scam brokers I like to put “regulated” at nr.1, if your broker is regulated by for example the NFA I expect a lot less issues.

1. Regulation
  2. Product offering
  3. Spreads
  4. Support
  5. Reputation

My ranking:

1. Reputation. It’s better to read clients’ feedback and google before open a live account.
  2. Spreads.
  3. Convenient deposits/withdrawals.
  4. Client support.
  5. Services: instruments, minimum deposit, free analytics etc.

Regulation is also very important but it’s not a 100% guarantee that everything will be fine when trading with a regulated company.