THE JOY OF CANDLESTICK TRADING - a Learning Experience

Ray

I set mine up today…placed 8 small screens on one monitor and the 5 minute on another monitor…

After I had made the first workspace for one currency , I ‘cloned’ that workspace to make a new one… and then just had to change the name of the pair in each chart.

If you do not have enuf screen space, perhaps you could make the small charts in one workspace and then put the entry chart or 5 minute for each pair into another. so that you can pull up whatever when you need it…

It took me quite a few hours today to set up 6 currency pairs, at one point I had to uninstall and reinstall as I had made some big errors…lolol

The layout that I have now shows the patterns clearly and it takes only a couple minutes to scan six pairs…

Hopefully that is some help

dave

To [B]Ray_1[/B] and [B]Blaiserboy[/B]

This matter requires a comprehensive answer and I will give you guidance.
Although Blaiserboy seems to have the solution to it already.

Firstly, go to page 31 of this thread for a fair amount of detail on setting up Dealbook. Here several posters pioneered the setting up and VulcanClassic discovered that the program eventually quits after 84 charts are loaded!

Next, I give you the following hyperlink that is a set of tuition videos for Dealbook :

http://www.gftforex.com/temp/videojukebox/videojukebox.html

[B]Now my own personal take :[/B]

I trade the 4 majors plus 2 pairs useful in my time zone. (AUD/USD + AUD/JPY). That is 6 pairs.

I trade the timeframes 20, 25, 30, 35 mins…1 hour.
That is 9 timeframes.

In addition, I have 6 charts of 5 minute KC . (one for each pair).
In addition, I have 6 charts of 5 minute Starc band . (one for each pair).
That is 12 short term charts.

[B]How do I do all this?[/B]

[U]Simple - clone your workspaces[/U], like Blaiserboy did and then edit them - that is, label them. (all right click work with the mouse).

I have one workspace for the 5 minute Keltner charts.
I have one workspace for the 5 minute Starc bands.

For each of the majors, I have 2 workspaces - A and B (8 workspaces altogether).
For the useful pairs I have 1 workspace each (2 workspaces total).

That is a total of 12 workspaces altogether.
[U]
Setting out on the workspaces :[/U]

Now I have all 6 charts of 5 minute KC (one for each pair), on the 5 minute Keltner workspace (6 small charts - 6 pairs)
and I have all 6 charts of 5 minute Starc band . (one for each pair), on the 5 minute Starc workspace (6 small charts - 6 pairs).

As I said, my majors get 2 workspaces each : (8 workspaces total)

Workspace A gets 4 timeframes. (4 small charts).
Workspace B gets the 5 remaining timeframes. (5 small charts).

As I said, my useful pairs get one workspace each and on that workspace are 4 charts each. (4 small charts).

majors charts… = 36
5 min charts…= 12
useful pairs charts = 8

[B]Grand totals :[/B]

charts… = 56
pairs… = 6
timeframes… = 9
workspaces. = 12

I have found this setting out to be ideal.

[B]More in the next post.[/B]

To [B]Blaiserboy [/B]and [B]Ray[/B]

Don’t forget that tymen is using a 22 inches screen … like i do now (just bought :D)

IMHO it is the minimum if one want to radar all those charts. If you decide to trade only 1 or 2 currency pairs then this size is quite useless.

To [B]tymen1[/B]

Just wanted to tell you that i received and read yet half of Nison book. Thanks for the advise, there is so much to learn from that one. He really learn you to “feel” the candle.

FXCaribbean
"Don’t go where there is a path. Open a new one and leave a trail".
If you want to understand what we’re talking about here (UMS) then read this

Yes, FXCaribbean these large screens are nice.

I am just suspicious right now because my internet lights in the tray menu are on continuously even though I am just on the desktop.

Though I have antispyware, there is something funny going on.

A large number of bytes are either leaving or entering my computer against my will. :mad:

I do not know what to do about it.

Even if you’re on your desktop, your DealBook still work. Then it download all the data. More charts = more data = more (traffic)lights.

You can also have Vista which now check for so many things to update. Even my (new) screen driver (HP w2207h) is checking everything.

And i don’t talk about the antivirus that can update its internal list automatically…

We’re fortunate not to have to pay for the size of data. It used to be but hopefully this doesn’t exist anymore…for our developed country. There are still countries that are spoiled by those big (international) internet company that still sell issue depending on data size… Unreal nowadays !

I will now finish my posts to [B]Blaiserboy [/B]and [B]Ray_1[/B]

[B]Have a look at this Dealbook workspace[/B] >>>

By tymen1 at 2008-08-01

In this first picture you can see all my workspaces below. There are 12 of them.

The picture shows one chart downloaded on the 5 minute Keltner workspace.
This chart has been fully prepared when maximized with all necessary indicators, that is BB and Keltner and MACD.

You right click this chart to give the list shown.
Now right click the “copy form” tab.

[B]Now look at this next picture[/B] >>>

By tymen1 at 2008-08-01

Here we move the mouse to a vacant area.
Right click again and we get the list again.
Now right click “paste form”

[B]This next picture shows the result [/B]>>>

By tymen1 at 2008-08-01

You end up getting a new chart which is the exact copy of the first.
The indicators and anything else in the original is also on the copy.
This makes our work easy.

The new chart usually appears [U]completely on top of the original[/U] and so you do not see it.
Use your mouse to separate the two.

By using the paste function 5 times you can fill your screen with 6 charts.

The next job it to set the correct currency pair for each one.
All else is already done.

[B]Next post.[/B]

On this picture you see my complete 5 minute Keltner chart setup.
This occupies my first workspace >>>

By tymen1 at 2008-08-01

The next picture shows my workspace B of EUR/USD.
There are 5 charts shown.

By tymen1 at 2008-08-01

To get a full sized chart you simply click the Windows maximize icon at the right hand top of your chosen chart.
To minimize - same standard Windows operation.

[U]Finally[/U] :

To have this arrangement you will need 2GB of RAM memory or better.

If you do not have this then you can buy extra RAM cards from your local computer supplier or let them set it up for you.

The beauty of the Dealbook program is that it does not use that horrible Java program language.
Instead it has something to do with 32 bit Windows. (sorry I am not an IT expert)
The result of this is that you can run Dealbook on a dial-up connection of only 46kb/second.
Try that with any Java based broker program - no chance!!
This means that you have a very stable program in Dealbook, that is almost self correcting if anything goes wrong! :slight_smile:

OK, I finish here, hope this helps.

[B]I would ask FXCaribbean to index these particular posts because they may help other dealbook posters in future.[/B]

[B]Now to go on to that engulfing pattern trade!![/B]

We had just finished a pips first trade with 45 pips gained.

So now we look at the retraces on the next 5 minute Starc band chart which explains itself >>>

By tymen1 at 2008-07-24

The end of the pips first trade is shown on the left and now we look for a retrace point from which to go [U]long[/U].

This means we look at the lower Starc band.
The Starc is going level at this time, therefore a retrace will occur near or on the lower Starc.
We have favour in finding such a point at price 14.
It is shown in blue.
At this point we enter with [U]2 amounts.[/U]

With the Starc bands level, we look for an exit near or at the upper Starc, and again we find favour with an exit touching the upper at price 32.
This is shown in red.

The black type shows the profit…32 pips!!

Add that to the previous and we get 77 pips.

OK, we did not take spreads into account and the fact that the trader will not necessarilly get the exact tops.

[U]So lets drop the profit to, say, 60 pips.[/U]

That is still excellent for such a short period of work. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

[B]The next chart will show further retraces to complete the trade.[/B]

Thank you for your reply.

I shut down Dealbook, had no programs running.
No antispyware updates.
I do not use an antivirus since I never go past either locked sites for trading or very high integrity sites such as Babypips.

I had trouble with Image Shack.

I shut that down so that I had absolutely nothing running.

Yet whole loads of kilobytes were either being sent or received.

Hmmmmmmmm! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I think I will speak with my ISP.

I greatly appreciate the efforts of Tymen1 and FxCaribbean to take the time and make the efforts to make this thread simple and detailed enough for us to learn…

Often people share their ideas without sharing the little nuances that make the thing work and that is frustrating to students…

Personally , I am catching on to this system, not so much because of the work I have done, but because the presentation is so thorough.!

Thanks guys…

( attempted to exceed the 84 chart limit… was punished. hehehehe, so today I will clone Tymen1’s workspaces…)

Hi tymen1,

Thanks for your detailed guidance on setting up of DealBook. Now trying to setup mine same as yours.

I always only trade two currencies, EUR/USD and USD/JPY. i like to know if I apply your method to these two currencies only will I be able to get a trade everyday as i dun monitor the four majors like tymen1.

Wew! I just finished reading through the entire thread! I did it over something like 2 weeks… That is great stuff Tymen! You came up with excellent rules to enter trades! :smiley:

Now there’s only one thing I don’t understand: why would we invert our MACD? According to your sayings, the resultant points at where the price is heading… Inverting the MACD will invert the y axis component of the MACD vector and give us a bad prediction, no? The regular MACD vector should point downward when the price is going there anyway. And then, the y axis component of the BB vector isn’t inverted, so isn’t the exact mirror calculation of the short resultant.

Yea, that’s a lot to think about :eek:. I’m not trying to prove you wrong here Tymen, just want to remove any confusion :confused:.

Keep up the good work! :wink:

Deevs

Re read about the use of the Macd and you will see that the two are ‘colour coded’ green for long entry and red for short entry…

I think that may clarify for you

I know that well, but I think you didn’t get my point, no pun intended.

Just saying: If the resultant predicts the direction of the price, why would be have to change the way we calculate that resultant when we go long? The price doesn’t know when we want to go long, hence it should still obey to the former rule.

Edit: Btw, I am a student in sciences, so I try to understand the logic of things.

May the pips be with you! :smiley:

I think if you re read that area of the thread that the answer will appear to you.

Perhaps your scientific approach has confused you a little.

This is what I’ve read:

Again we set up a 5 minute chart with the Bollinger bands and the Keltner bands with period 4, factor 1.

But the Di Napoli MACD, as it stands, will not work.

In its normal state, we use it for short entries.

We need to set up the Di Napoli MACD for long entries.

This is done by turning the MACD upside down.
How do we do this?

First, by finding what the values of the Di Napoli MACD are.
They are :

long moving average = 17.5185 (17.52)
short moving average = 8.3897 (8.39)
signal = 9.0503 (9.05) - not needed… Make this one invisible if you can.

To turn this MACD upside down we invert the values, as follows.

long moving average = 8.3897 (8.39)
short moving average = 17.5185 (17.52)
signal - not needed

By doing this, we get an inverted MACD.

The red MACD is the original Di Napoli MACD.
Note that you cannot put the inverted values into the Di Napoli MACD.
You have to open a new MACD to put the values into.

The green MACD is the result when you put the values into inversion.

By doing this we are now ready to set up a 5 minute chart to trade long.

On the 5 minute “long” chart you have :

The Bollinger bands - standard values as before.
Keltner channel - period 4, factor 1 as before.
Inverted Di Napoli MACD - long period = 8.3897 and short period = 17.5185.

You can set both the MACD’s on the same chart and expand/contract them as needed. (On the above chart, the candlestick chart is contracted or minimized - you can see the colour bar above the MACD’s).

When it is time to enter a trade, we do exactly as before.
We draw or note the middle BB vector, then draw or note the inverted Di Napoli MACD vector.

The resultant will give us the best possible long entry price.

I don’t see the answer to my question there. :confused: Perhaps you don’t get exactly what I’m trying to say?

I just finished reading the whole thread. What a learning experience! Thank you Tymen for your effort, patience and generousity. It is extraordinary.

Everything was so clearly explained that I had no questions until you suddenly introduced the UM. I don’t see the wisdom in the 10 pip stoploss. Why not put it above (for a short trade) the possible retrace price? It seems like a guarantee to be stopped out, unless most trades are pip first trades.

My biggest challenge seems to be living in the Pacific time zone. I can’t seem to find any way around having to stay up all night to catch the European session. If anyone knows an alternative, I’d really like to hear it!

Thanks again to tymen.

“Ay, there’s the rub”

A difficulty for me as well since I live in the -5 GMT zone.

Pairs can move anytime but generally;
The /jpy pairs seem to move throughout the day because of the US / Asian sessions. Also, take a look back on your hourly charts; alot of the time you’ll see a swing roughly the same time of day.

The European session seems to start moving on average from about 1am to about 12pm my time, (10pm - 9am the next morning for you). My answer is to get up at 5am and catch it till it settles down and then keep watching the /jpy pairs the rest of the day.(I’m lucky, I have free time at work).

However you are three hours behind me so you could stay up a little late to catch the beginning and then get up early to catch the end. One way or another, there will be sleep lost (gotta make a sacrifice of some sort to succeed). You just need to figure out when would be good for you.

Hope this helps

After this message from teacher tymen, here is the result of my homework. Please correct if needed and i’ll raise the version of this post.
Note : This post won’t explain UMS nor UML.You will notice it is not the exact index of tymens post. It is another way of setting the charts (mine) and the reader may also click on the provided links at the end of this post to have tymens precise settings.
After all the goal is to understand and feel confortable…

[B]Introduction[/B]

We’re all here to recall… sounds like a church, let’s change that one…

Once upon a time… hmmmm that is not the history course neither…

Ok ok, so let’s say we have to set our computer in order for UMS and UML works fine.

First of all if you have that computer (or any Comodore CPC64, ZX 80 or ZX 81 with the 4K extension memory for over $100, or even ATARI 520 ST) then you should think about fishing rather than trading.

Otherwise, here is the ultimate advise about the technical specifications tymen is using …and most of us do now.

[B]The problem[/B]

The method require many charts if you try to focus on all major currency pairs (6) as we have for each :
[ul]
[li]all the radar timeframe from 20mn to 60mn, 5mn step (that makes 9 timeframe!)[/li][li]2 specific charts for 5mn trading[/li][/ul]

This gives almost 60 charts that is :
9 timeframes * (6 charts of currency pairs for each timeframes) + 5mn KC (= 6 charts of pairs) + 5mn KB * (6 charts of pairs) = 60

So here we can feel how hot this is going to be :
[ul]
[li]Computer power[/li][li]Software power[/li][/ul]

[B]Computer power first
[/B]

So you now understand that if you want to trade UMS and/or UML with all the currency pairs, you will need a quick and powerful computer. It is no time to set all the time all the charts spec to have the chart. It has to be fast and predefined.

So first, the [B]ONLY [/B]way to lower the need of power is to lower the number of currency pairs you decide to trade. If you are in such case, skip this content and go to the software spec below.

Charts are memory consuming on both side : the desktop AND the video card.

We came to the fact that the best screen size to be able to watch these chart is 22 inches min.

As a consequence, you must have a video card that can display something like 1680x1050 to be able to have up to 6 charts at one time on the screen. Then, because you will have all the timeframes, you will need memory on desktop and good video card with memory on it. So it is best to consider at least 2GB on desktop and 512MB for video card.

[B]Now the software
[/B]

As mentioned in post #811 there are 2 major software used here MT4 & Dealbook. Both software are free.

Dealbook has a limited time offer. It is free from GFT for 3 month then you have to open an account. There are also other providers that let you use the demo account for life if ever you open at least the minimum one for $250 or $1000 (as an example see Kinetic Securities in Sydney, Australia)

All of those who have been testing these software with these method end to love Dealbook because it is much more easier to set all the screen and be able to switch between them.

It is time to recall a very usefull line from tymen (#798) :
[B]" All readers please note that I do not receive any commissions or inducements for my recomendations.
They are entirely my effort and I get no reward whatsoever for doing this. "[/B]

Time to explain the use of Dealbook (alias DB)…

[B]One workspace and various charts[/B]

When you open DB, you will notice a window named Workspaces. There should be predefined name (CFD/FX Basics and GFT Resources). Click on ‘CFD’. You have various windows opened now. Close all of them. Now if you right click on the workspace (not the button, the green space left free) then ‘Chart’. It is asking for a currency. Select one (EUR/USD).
Note : If ever you closed the Workspace window itself. Don"t panic. At the top of them main window, you will find a ‘View’ then add the bottom ‘Workspace list’…This window is dockable. That means…well try to drag this window and drop it to the bottom or the left of your screen to understand…Now click on the chart window to get the focus on it. You will see on the top of this window different kind of information. I’ll list only the first that are of interest for us.
So, from left to right :
[ul]
[li]Type of chart (select candle),[/li][li]timeframe (let’s take 20mn),[/li][li]First currency pair (choose EUR/USD),[/li][li]Second currency pair (leave it),[/li][li]Grid kind (whatever, chose something confortable for you),[/li][li]SI (as Setup Indicator),[/li][li]SC (as Setup Chart),[/li][li]CT (as Chart Template)[/li][/ul]

Now let’s click on SI. If there are yet various indicator, we can click on each and ‘Remove’. When the list is empty, then ‘Add’ the Bollinger Band (BB) indicator with default values on current Subgraph.
While BB is selected, let’s change the style to select a thin line and blue color for the band. For the MidBB let’s select a dotted line still blue.
Then ‘Apply’. It is now on the chart screen. Everything seems ok ? then ‘OK’. Now we have our candle chart with our BB.

So now we got set our EUR/USD candlestick chart with our BB. Champagne !

Following the rules of UMS or UML, we have to make one of these for each currency pair for that timeframe.

First power of DB is the fact that you can click on CT (Chart template) and ‘Save’ to the name you chose (say ‘Main trimeframe’). Now you can right click on the workspace (the green), select ‘Chart’, click on first currency pair and chose say GBP/USD, then click on CT and ‘Load’ the chart template ‘Main timeframe’. It is then all set for this currency pair…!!! You can do the same for all of the 6 majors pairs.

Ok so now we have 2 charts in our CFD workspace. This name for my workspace isn’t quite clear, let’s change it to something more clean. Let’s right click on the [B]button [/B]CFD and ‘rename’ it to ‘20mn’. Now with a quick look to my workspace list, i can see i will have my 20mn charts.

[B]I need more workspace
[/B]

Ok so now i got 6 charts on my first workspace named 20mn. I set my charts in order i can see them all on my screen at the same time. If i have a 22 inches screen, i shouldn’t need to minimise and/or maximise all the time. It is possible to tale the windows all together.

Right click on button ‘20mn’ and select ‘Clone workspace’. It waits for a name ? say 25mn !

Immediately we have all 6 charts copied within the new workspace called 25mn. It is then time to change the timeframe of each chart to 25mn…and that’s all.

Ok i let you do now the 7 others !

[B]Now the trading timeframes
[/B]

Ok so now i make a new clone and call it ‘5mn KC’.

If my goal is to trade then i should change the timeframe of each chart to 5mn. BUT we remember the use of CT. So let’s work on one chart.

Ok I set it to 5mn. Then SI, ‘Add’ KC on same subgraph, ‘Add’ DiMACD on another subgraph (settings are described in #811). Now it is time to CT, ‘Save’ to ‘5mn KC’. Then for each other chart of this workspace it is easy to CT, ‘Load’ the ‘5mn KC’.
Note : If you are using UML you should also have add the opposite DiMACD.
You should be able to clone and make the same things for the ‘5mn SB’ don’t you ?

When trading time is on, and the shape is chose, then i come to my 5mn trading workspace and maximise the chosen currency. When finished, i put it back to its initial size.

This is it. Now you should be able to be part of the hunt. Good luck.

[B]Warning : Feel confortable
[/B]

It is a description of the way [B]my [/B]screen are set. It allow me to watch all the currency pairs at a given timeframe.

Tymen set his screen differently. He use 2 workspace per pair then he has a whole view of the pairs whatever timeframe.

The method to set them is identical to mine. So it shouldn’t be difficult to do. The only goal is to feel confortable…

Below are the post he made on his settings :

FXCaribbean
If you want to understand what we’re talking about here (UMS) then read this and set your screen and computer that way

To [B]VulcanClassic[/B]

Hi,

I would be interested to discuss via either IM if it’s ok with you. We’re both in quite the same timeframe (I’m GMT-4).

FXCaribbean
If you want to understand what we’re talking about here (UMS) then read this and set your screen and computer that way