30 Pips A day Keeps the your money at bay

Not yet… we opened in NYC first and now I’m Europe getting ready for London :wink:

Got it! Sorry I missed that, I read the next 40 pages trying desperately to find it, must of blazed right over it. What about your big green MVA? Thanks for everything Tmoney, have a good time in Austria.

au m1 bearish bat 1.0303. Risky shorting the Stevens comments, but small stop requirement ( 4 pips), for target 1.0235.

stop to breakeven

scratched out, worth a shot no harm done, but sux cos i wanted to buy 1.0235.

also thought uj m15 might be a long cd leg contender up to potential bat 93.80ish. perhaps buy 93.12 stop 93.07 ( due to m1 pattern not shown) limit 93.75. less aggresive stop 92.84

Anybody looking at this? Also is my butterfly drawn correctly? Sorry if the chart’s a bit messy.

wow that’s low quality.

Well I would bring it up with my broker. On serious money sometimes they refund. Do not know who’s your broker but FXCM were done in the past for slippage. If they care for their clients they would refund if your claim is legitimate. Just my 2 pence by by the way.

That looks good, but I think it has a low chance of triggering before 5.

Good point. I know we have specific times when D’s form, but what time do you usually analyze your charts for them?

NZD/USD H1, the green lines are my attempt to draw the mva 8h crosses or what TMB calls MSRT

Predicting time is hard. You can use trendlines and average range for past periods to determine when a trade might hit your D, but even the MSRTs that TMB uses are not super accurate when it comes to the lower time scales.

Thank you Merper. I’ll keep that in mind. I’ll be participating in this thread more actively I read the whole thing, read the book, and opened a small live account. I’ve been trading these patterns pretty accurately for about a month now, hopefully it hasn’t just been luck.

Diablo, did you ever get bootcamp going on your mac? I use fxcm on bootcamp and it works perfectly.

Ugh, frustrating few days. I had about 6 orders in place and the price never hit any of them. Two of them I missed entry on by <5 pips.

Plus, I missed a few other entries on an 8 hr method as they happened overnight. :56:

EDIT: And… I was 1 min late to cancel my open trades on FXCM so I might hit them over the weekend and then immediately be taken out for more than my stop loss as it is probably less than the weekend spread…

When they miss your entry by <5 pips you wait to see if they come back to hit your take profit? I usually will jump in if its that close. Curious about everyone else.

:slight_smile:

yeah, you’re absolutely correct. I should follow my trading plan and not pull out early. Thing is though, i was probably risking about 10% of my account on that trade (i have a small account now as i lost half of it about a month ago) and when i saw i was 21 pounds in profit, i had a very strong urge to take it as my account is so small lol.

but you’re right.
A couple of weeks ago i realised i really need to use propper money management and stuff but was finding it hard. I know first hand how not using it can screw you. So I am using it now. on my last trade I risked about 1% of my account and i intend to try and stick to using 1% risk. I won the trade btw and did not move my stop loss or take profit. I lost one as well. Well what happened is that price hit the fib i expected it to, but it only bounced half way to my take profit target. All this happened when i was sleeping lol.

I think I am getting better at spotting Gartleys too, I notice I am seeing more trading opportunists.

I think like you say, practice is key. we must stick at it and practice, practice, practice and if things don’t go the way we expected try and learn from our mistakes, so it doesn’t happen again. Often that is the way we learn, we make mistakes and then we learn from them.

I must say, i think this thread is very helpful. It really accelerated my progress to be able to come here and see how people are drawing their gartleys and also all the advice TMoneyBags gives out. Really helpful :slight_smile:

Missed it while I was not watching, and retraced 20 pips quickly.

At the moment i use a program called “crossover” to run MT4 on my mac. But thanks a lot for the hint, i’ll definitely check it out. Need to get a copy of windows first too… :wink:

Hey everyone,

Since i got some spare time this morning i thought i would pick a random pair and do a analyze on it just for the sake of practicing.

I wanted to share it with you simply to give you an idea of doing a analyze yourself. I am using a gartley pattern and a pattern that is not taught in here by TMB. If you are curious about it i’ll gladly share any information about it but if you have not gotten the basics down yet and feel it is to much information just ignore it.

What i first found was a bullish gartley on the 4 hour chart when zoomed out. For X i use the extreme of price on the 13th november 2012, for A the extreme of price on the 1st of february 2013. For B i use the first leg created after a which happened on the 5th of february. That gives us a good convergence 1.618 and 0.500. Once again my results may differ from yours like i’ve mentioned earlier since my price action seems to differ from others and i have no idea why.

As you can see price has hit the convergence and started to move north. We also have a RSI divergence in combination with the D point.

I know it does not look like price is respecting the convergence so well on the 4 hour chart but if you look at the daily chart it gets a bit clearer.

Then i added some MSRT lines (dotted red lines) from the MVA crossings and found 3 lines that price has respected 1 or more times and which are within the price range of the pattern.

Below is a screenshot of the pattern which is not mentioned in this thread. It’s called a cypher pattern and created by a group of traders i am following. If you want to check out their website send me a pm and i’ll send you the link. They teach everything from ratio trading to trading psychology. Real courses at their facility and even webbinars. I’ll attend one of their courses next week in a live room from monday to friday. If you want to know more about the cypher pattern just search for it on youtube and you’ll get a lot of hits. One of the guys is Jason Stapleton a great teacher regarding ratio trading. Just look at his videos on youtube, great stuff.

You need to watch a youtube video on the cypher pattern to understand what i’m talking about. I would gladly explain it but i’m in a hurry and the explanation is already online in the videos so there’s no need for me to reinvent the wheel again. :slight_smile:

If price now respects the gartley pattern and continues north i’m expecting it to form the cypher pattern which means it should hit the 0.786 fib level when drawn from the first point of the pattern to the 4th point. If you want to give them the same letters as in the gartley pattern that would be from X to C.

We have a MSRT line crossing at exact that level and if the RSI is overbought when price hits that level it’s definitely a strong sign of a good trade opportunity. I’ve marked the oversold area in my screen shot as well and the setting for my RSI is (Period:7, upper level 79, lower level 21).

TP1 is at fib level 0.382 (fib drawn between C and D of the cypher pattern), TP2 at 0.500 and TP3 at 0.707. At these 3 levels we have had earlier support/resistance if you look at the price on the left side.

EDIT: Since price broke a major support a few days ago there is another possible scenario. For this trade to work out price has to successfully make it past the old support which now acts as a resistance. If price doesn’t make it through the resistance it will continue it’s journey south where we have another support waiting at 1.31000.

I hope this gives you some ideas or inspiration for doing your own analysis. If you have any questions, suggestions or further ideas regarding what i posted above you are more then welcome!

TMB: If you do not want me to post any other information like the one you teach (e.g cypher pattern) just tell me and i will stick to posting information that is based on your teaching. After all it’s still your thread. :wink:

Addition to the post above:

If i would enter this trade i would have my stop loss just a bit above the X (140 pips) of the pattern.

I would only risk a maximum of 2% of my account on each trade (3 trades since i have 3 TP points).

To know which lot size to use to not exceed that level of risk i use the following calculation:

Account size 1000$ -> 2% of 1000$ (1000 x 0.02) = 20$

20$/140 pips = 0.14 lot size

And if you end up with an uneven number like 0.14 (0.014 in MT4) you just round it down (never up!) to the closest possible lot size, in this case 0.1 (0.01 in MT4).

If the trade starts going my way i’ll move the stop loss to break even.

If all 3 TP are hit this would result in +705 pips on this trade (170 + 220 + 315).

As you can see this trade is not suitable to just book 30 pips since it requires a big stop loss. The reason why i will be focusing on bigger trades is because i lack the time in the upcoming weeks to make any trades on shorter time frames.

Please give me some feedback if you want me to continue to share some of the patterns i find on the higher time frames with you. Even if you only want to focus on the shorter time frames this may help you in the top down analysis of a pair before you start trading it for the week.

[B]Have a great weekend everyone![/B]

This is the 1st time i hear about the cypher pattern, it looks interesting. I have a similar one between my own patterns, the main difference is that I use the 0.23 retracement for the B point, glad to see someone is teaching a similar pattern. About other patterns where the C point is above (or below) the A point, You can take a look at the shark and the 0-5 pattern. I haven’t traded them, but it seems worth looking at.

I appreciate your contributions and yes, I would like to hear more about your trading plan and setups. I will not use your trading analysis on my own trading mainly because of this big placard you know i have in front of my computer, wich doesnt allow me to ;). You are more like an inspiration, your posts remember me the value of persistence and especially this last days i have been in a significative dd.

this is a lot size calculator for mt4. Important: It is an indicator, not an ea*
You have to type the % risk and put the 2 horizontal lines on your entry and sl lvl.
PositionSizeCalculator.zip (7.78 KB)

Happy to see you have found your own way, I wish you good luck with your new approach!

Hello everyone!
I struggle to learn how to detect MSRT areas and how to draw the trend lines as TMB does
I read the last 40 pages of forum I guess, but I did not understand

Can anyone help me with a summary of The Trend Lines based on MVA intersections and these MSRT areas?

Thanks a lot!
I owe you big time!

note-to-self. NEVER use pending order’s over the weekend.

had one on EUR/JYP

the market jumped over my entry and stop loss, and ran my stop loss X 3,

ouch lol.