6 months live trading plan (Patience & Consistency)

Starting live trading with a simple trend-following strategy on the 15 mins timeframe for a period of six months (September 2018 - February 2019)

Plan: Start with 0.01 lots and double my position size each week. No more than 4 trades a day. Perfect my ability to be patient and consistent over monetary gains.

Will be posting screenshots of all my trades and daily summary of profits/losses.

Main reason for opening this thread is to keep myself accountable and motivated.

Wish me luck

15 Likes

Good start. I salute you for starting this one and making yourself accountable by publicly posting it here. I’ll help you out and say that I will put your thread under my watchlist so I see new updates you may have. Good luck and I look forward to your upcoming updates.

3 Likes

Good to see @echucks19 i would say follow your strategy with proper discipline and keep testing it on demo till the time you become confident.
Good luck !

2 Likes

All the very best @echucks19 ! Hope you do well. Looking forward to your future posts here. Will be interesting to have a nice discussion

1 Like

Day 1: Today was a complete disaster. I broke my rule of 4 trades per day max and ended up opening 44 trades!

I also broke the rule on position sizing for this week. I ordered more than 0.01 lots on some trades.

Live trading really brings out your inner demons and forces you to deal with them. Hopefully tomorrow I can regain my composure.

Summary
Trades won: 9
Trades lost: 34
Total trades opened: 44 (43 + 1 sell stop order I deleted later)

Profit/loss for Day 1: -$7.66

I demo traded for 4 months and was doing really well. I went live and blew my account within a week. Went back to demo trading and was doing well again.

That was when I realized live trading is a whole other dragon of its own.

I feel I need to practice controlling my emotions on a live account for me to move to the next stage of my trading journey. That’s what I’m hoping to achieve with this thread.

I’m not looking to buy a Ferrari at the end of the 6 months but to see if I can nurture my ability to be patient and consistent when real money is on the line.

Special thanks to @purtle and @tipsypips also for following the thread.

3 Likes

Woah 44 trades. x_X That’s in a span of how many hours?

When you say you need to practice controlling your emotions, what do you think is at the core of it? Is it revenge trading or just greediness? Mine is fear of losing. I end up finding myself holding on to losing trades a lot of the time. :confused:

1 Like

44 trades in a span of 12 hours. I do struggle with revenge trading, with a bit of over trading as well. I tend to force trades that are half-baked

@echucks19 - real money is a game changer for certain!

You should check out this thread:

The videos can be a bit dry but it is critical info to be aware of and master!

Good Luck,

FR&L

1 Like

This is great @echucks19! :blush: Good luck on your live trading and may the green pips always be with you! :smile: Haha. :slight_smile: Excited to see how you go about with your trades. :blush:

1 Like

Oh wow, that’s a lot of trades in a day! I can only manage 1 trade a day (still a beginner). Were you able to analyze all those charts?

Anyway, good luck and I’ll be following your trading journey. :wink:

2 Likes

Do you trade on mobile platform or do it on PC version? And is it possible, in your view to trade on the go?

3 Likes

44 trades is wayyy too many. If one or two trades isn’t moving your way for you, then it’s not smart to keep opening up positions

1 Like

Looks really interesting. Will check it out. Thanks

Yes I trade on mobile platform because of the nature of my lifestyle. I don’t have enough time to sit at a PC until this becomes my primary source of income.

I completely agree. That’s what I’m trying to work on by going into this. My target is 4 trades max a day.

Day 2: Decided to stop trading and write an early update.

I’m still over trading and interfering into my trades too much. I’m really surprised at this side of me. On demo, I’m way more chill and allow my trades to play out but all that emotional maturity seems to go out the window on my live accounts.

Today started a little better than yesterday and went downhill towards the end because of greed. Hoping to do better tomorrow especially regarding my emotional control.

Summary
Trades won: 12
Trades lost: 20
Total trades opened: 32

Profit/loss for Day 2: -$1.67

1 Like

Oh, bless you! I’m only on demo and yes, it finds every weakness you have and hits you right there. I also have trouble following my own rules!!

Some food for thought (I read this in a book). Try imagining that you have a boss, and you’re trading his account by his system while he’s away on his yacht for a while. When he gets back, he’ll pay you a bonus–but not based on how much money you’ve made, it’s only based on how well you followed the system.

Maybe that would help some of your itchy-trading fingers?

Good luck to you!

4 Likes

Well done for posting all this, you might get some critics who just like to come on forums and shoot everyone else down so they can feel better abut their sad selves, but even from them there can be great trading lessons to be learned.

I would immediately say, well done for trend-following but stop stop stop daytrading. Unless you can find a self-financing trader earning a full income from exactly what you propose doing and can mimic their strategy exactly.

3 Likes

Its good that you are holding yourself accountable. Do not give up on yourself but you need to trade less setups and have discipline when trading… It is better to not trade at all than trade at a loss.

I wish you the best of luck bro

2 Likes