90% of traders lose in the forex market, WHY?

Both Warren Buffet and Bill Gates both agreed that Charley Morgan is the most intelligent person they know, charley morgan once said problems frequently becomes easier to solve if we turn them around in reverse.

Smarter than Einstein?
Inversion will help you solve problems.

Now, let’s use a little bit of inversion to solve our trading problems.

Around 90% of traders lose money, so the question we need to ask ourselves is WHY? What are these 90% of traders doing?

First,
1)They buy breakouts and sell breakdowns (they are literally chasing the forex price around).

1. They all try to cut there losses short and let there winners run, so where are they let letting there winners run to? Straight out of there trading account( this idea sounds great in theory but it just doesn’t work in real live trading).

2. Greed cause them to size there positions way too big, have you ever heard the saying don’t over trade focus on the best setup’s and increase your size on the good ones great, yes their is something there to increase your position size during periods of better opportunity (all in) but don’t over do it or eventually you would be wiped out of the game (RIP Account).

4)They are afraid of reducing there position size because they might be reducing there potential profits, for example using 1.0 and a stop loss of 50 pips reduces your risk of losing but reduces your potential profits than using 2.0 and a stop loss of 25 pips and making unlimited potential profits. Now listen, unlimited profits potential is like a mystical creature.

Now, you see these four things most traders do, but why do they do them? Well some of them is human psychology: greed, fear and over confidence but most of it is because of what they were thought by forex education website/forex teachers or trainers. I know it sounds a bit hypocritical because am also a forex teacher myself, but the difference is they tell you what will make you spend money (Get Rich Quick !) unlike them i will tell you the TRUTH even if it is not what you want to hear.

Think about it, how feeling does cut your losses small and let your WINNERS run sound? Sure, it sounds great, exactly what you want to hear but anyone teaching this concept has either:

1. Never traded real money before
  2. Or they’re just flat out Lying.

Now, that does not mean you need to have huge losses and tiny profits, if you are trading the right strategies this shouldn’t even be an issue.

Now, let’s use a little bit of inversion and flip these around and here is your new strategy:

1. Buy into weakness and sell into strength.
    Why? because it is the exact opposite of what most 90% of traders do. You might be saying: if you are getting into a sell off, how do you know when the sell off is over? The answer is simple! You Don’t, nobody does, it does not matter whether you are Warren buffet or you are jemmy buffet, you don’t know if the forex market is going to go up, down, sideways or in circles and I believe that forex market swings are random for the most part but ultimately it is human emotions that drive the forex market moves, so just don’t fall victim to your emotions.

2. You are going to book your profits and be patient with your losing trades, with a high probability trading strategy almost all losing trades will become winning trade at some point if you hang in there.

If you’re cutting your losses small you’re going to choke out alot of good trades and if you are trying to let your winners run you’re going to be disappointed when they don’t run like they where suppose to (but why won’t you RUN?!you are surprise)

1. You’re going to keep your position sizes small. It will allow you to make decisions based on logic rather than emotion. The only way to be patient with positions is if you’re sizing your positions correctly, if they are too big, then the day to day fluctuations in your account balance would cause you to make bad decisions and acquire grail hair at a very young age.

2. Lastly, you are going to reduce your cost basis by placing trades with a defined profit strategy. These are strategies with limited profit potential and but they have a very high probability of success. Consistently reducing your cost basis would pay you far more than that one home run (massive profits) that you might hit.

Following these simple guidelines (1-4) would save you many headaches and a ton of money.

Drop your comments below and give me a thumbs up if you like this article, also give me a thumbs down if you don’t like it.

Good luck in your trading endeavor.

8 Likes

Very Intelligent Post, I agree

1 Like

I entered this EURUSD trade just about the time I was writing this article, and now I am in profit of 40+ pips, but it has a potential of running down to 1.1770, the question most traders would be asking and am asking myself now is should I hold or close this trade? And my answer is to close, if it runs down am going to wait for a retracement and then join the down trend.

Profits taken.

thanks for the compliments

You’re Welcome
Credit Where Credits Due
(i’ve been Trading for 7 years, i trade successfully and profitably)
What you said is smart, Logical and Intelligent, oh… and Correct as well

2 Likes

Hi @pipslord

Can you give an example of what you mean by this? Perhaps we misunderstand you, but there seem to be many more examples of people having a string of several small winning trades only to lose it all and more with one big losing trade.

You mentioned Warren Buffett. He is the poster boy of letting your winners runs. "Our favorite holding period is forever."

2 Likes

have just bought EURUSD now, with a stop loss of 15 pips, this would be my last trade for the day.

See buddy, have just gone long on the same trade I was expecting to run down, WHY? Because price is telling me otherwise.

I mentioned warren buffet and Bill Gates only because they agree about the fact that Charley Morgan is the most intelligent person they know and not that he advocates not letting profits run.

don’t be confused friend, I do allow my trades to run, but that is when a setup has formed on the 4 hours and higher time frames, because over my 9 years of trading, have noticed that setup’s that form on time frames lower than the 4 hours timeframes might reverse very soon.

that’s right, you would BUY in this situation and take profit at around 1.1845 to 1.1855 depending on what rocked your cookie so to speak hehe
you wouldn’t sell here, that would be silly

90% of traders lose money because they try to guess where the market will go instead of trading according to the market realities

and again… Exactly right
Lower time Frames are not very reliable

I lost on the last eurusd long position, am done with trading for the day, a great day indeed. Just follow your strategy and prepare for losing streaks because it does occur with almost every strategy out there.

You’re very correct, this is among the reason they lose, but over leveraging is the top reason, because even professionals can lose there accounts if they over leverage on there accounts, WHY: because as soon as you over leverage on your account, your decisions would be 90% emotional and not based on strategy. As we all know, it is human emotions that drives the market, and we don’t want to be emotional.

I don’t believe such statistical figure of losses. It can be scary for novice traders, I guess. What i believe is that every business has some successful trade makers, not every one is successful in every work. So it is good to enter here if you have a good knowledge about forex market, most importantly if you have interest to take all the pressures of forex trading and want to enjoy trading here. Only then you are welcome here, be your own boss, good luck!

Its a good summary pipslord but incomplete and a little off-target I think

1. Agreed. They’re literally chasing price.

2. Cutting losers is good but most beginners use stops that are far too tight. Running winners is good but to really make money the winning trades need to be pyramided as well, again and again as price goes forward. which logically means suggests trend-following doesn’t it?

3. Agreed.

4. Agreed.

I think the reason that forex trading teachers get such poor results from their students is that paradoxically they are afraid and over-cautious. They’re not concerned with whether their students win, but they’re very concerned that they don’t lose soon after the training. So they’re driven by the risk of bad rep to teach conservative tactics like not pyramiding, using TP’s, tight stops and worst of all - day-trading as a low-risk approach. Every day-trader who went bust in 3 months from Day1 thought (and still thinks) that day-trading is low risk.

You are very correct, and also to add this, day trading is actually not suitable for everyone, especially those who don’t have the time.

I’m in pretty much the same trade (1.1817 after spreads) - with 4 x positions - to (Edit - Take profit) out at various logical stagess up to 1.1996.

My stop though is way down in the 1.1770’s and it will run until the stops get hit or I stop it for some reason.

oh okay, I got stopped out earlier at -15 pips, yes it can go either up or still continue down. Just stick with your plans.

You need to work on your strategy and you need to develop it so that you could make some good money in the Forex Market. As we all know that a single strategy isn’t going to work for each and every market condition, and hence you should learn more and more strategies to learn to use it to survive in the Forex Market.

Yes a single strategy won’t work in every market condition.

So you can either learn a lot of strategies which may or may not work in every market condition. I hope the learning is enjoyable because this is a never-ending road. You may learn moire and more strategies but you will not be better and better at any of them.

Or you can learn one strategy like the back of your hand and apply it to different markets when the right conditions apply…