A brief share, questions around volume, any contribution welcome

[B]Hello traders!

Been busy, like you, I suppose!

If anyone is interested in sharing NZD ideas, fire away!

Yesterday was a quiet day for the US Dollar, due to Thanksgiving, but in spite of this the NZD/USD managed to

lose all its gains and the initially bullish candle compressed back all the way down and price retreated below the

50-day moving average, which is the orange line on this screenshot (from a day chart):[/B]

Also, on the four-hour chart for this pair, you can see the continuation and confirmation of the down-trendā€¦ The thick purple

line in both chart screenshots is the 0.80 level, which is a significant ā€˜round numberā€™ level:

[B]Sadly, I do not have volume data for this pair at present, but it would be interesting to see whether volume supported

the current bearish move or not.

Happy trading!

[/B]

Hello guys,

It has been a great week. Lovely to see Crude coming down. I watched teh OPEC meeting live and I knew the moment the press conference started it was time to start selling. Went short on Gold I am already up 3000 pips, you know what that means that baby is going 1045 for sure, Crude is heading to $56 a barrel I believe.

Sorry for he lack of charts I have taken 10 minutes to type this then it is off to the sofa and idiot box to watch Dracula Untold. Charts will soon return but I think I will do a week recap video if I can get the time.

Have a great weekend all. Oh! Sterling is heading down the pan. Bet even Cameronā€™s immigration speech will be enough to send it to 1.52 area. Migration is the reason we have had this GDP boost. Good luck to him!

:17::30::17::30:

FxPro XAUUSD D1 xylwn | cTrader

Hello all.

So I have a small position on Gold. It looks like it is headed 1107 as a good support but I call this one for 1045. Christmas is here. On my search for presents. Thought this was a good share. It made so much sense to short this ahead of the Swiss referendum, if it is a yes then I get out I f it is a no well the news is already discounted.

Hello Emerald!

I feel obliged, given your cue, to post this here:

So, on Saturdayā€™s ā€˜Any Questionsā€™ (BBC Radio 4), the migration question came up: Tory, Green, Labour, and UKIP panel members all tried to give concrete answers, but the best answer came from the Labour member (former Health Secretary, Alan Johnson), who said that of the migration data referred to by the Tories, about sixteen percent is made up of Brits returning to the UK as ā€˜immigrantsā€™ after being domiciled abroad for a whileā€¦ This is exactly why you need free debates: there is always more than one way to spin a political headline.

As for the Pound, when you think how the most hawkish of the Majors (the Kiwi) got punished for coming short of its rate increase forecasts - just look at the NZD/USD - you can imagine how the Pound is also
unlikely to find relief by Decemberā€¦ Unlikely, however, does not mean impossible: a low probability, sure,
but still possibleā€¦ So my EUR/GBP idea (301 Moved Permanently) is still not quite ripe to trade, due to this possible relief rally in the Pound, for example, although clearly the troubles of the EUR/USD are far more responsible for dragging EUR/GBP down, which attempted to stay above the 0.80 level but failed, againā€¦

How is life in London?

This baby is moving!!

Good afternoon, traders!

BoE rate decision was a non-event; ECB rate decision in ten minutes could be the sameā€¦ or maybe

everyone is waiting for the next rate decision before making any trading plan around the Euro, or

Pound, or Euro and Pound crosses/majors.

I can definitely say that NZD/USD has broken the 0.78 and has moved comfortably around/below it,

sitting now at 0.7750 or so.

The historical data show that, in the last forty years, this pair has had at least three major tests somewhere

in the region between 0.70 and 0.80 (let us say 0.75), in 1989, 1997, and 2005 (so, every eight years),

and has since gone above these and retested the former demand level in the 1970s, that is 0.90ā€¦ We are now in a situation

where the upward trend looks congested and weak in the medium term, and a drop back down looks more achievableā€¦

The fact that the area between 0.70 and 0.80 has cyclically been a supply zone in two decades, and that we have

re-entered it, suggests that we may not expect to be moving past it again, unless the RBNZ can really surprise with,

for example, more rate hikesā€¦

Hey guys, Hope all is wellā€¦

I have been so busy, I will be updating my private blog so I will doing a lot more updates there. I will upload videos, etc. To help people with my thoughts going forward.

Have a great weekend.

Hi Emerald! Where is your blog?

Good morning, traders! After much doubtfulness and wavering, the NZD/USD finally ran away in disgust at the 0.78 level, diving under the price pool and currently fishing at the 0.7650 levelā€¦ This breakdown started on Friday and was consolidated last nightā€¦ I am now up about 200 pipsā€¦ Wonderfulā€¦ The target is the monthly ATR, around 330 pipsā€¦

Woohoo!

City Monopolist Forex ļæ½ Forex Trading Basics. It had a makeover. I have to be really careful with public seeing I am now allied with an institution.

Doing very little trading coming into Christmas. Just trying to relax with friends and family. Seeing Lord of the rings this weekend.

How is it going on your end pipme? I will be super active again in January onwards. It has been a good year so I want to finish on top.

So my ideas last week into thisā€¦

Hello Emerald!

That sounds great! And, thanks for the blog link!

My year is ending in about ten days and it has been net-negative, but it has been improving of late,

and I will continue to pursue long-term trading.

Iā€™ve been very busy with the house move and everything else, so I am glad to be doing long-term

trading, because it saves the stress of short-term ups and downsā€¦

Goodnight!

Absolutely agree, regardless what we say about short term opportunities, the big picture is important.

My last trading week was last week. Looking forward to Christmas now unless something interesting happensā€¦

Merry Christmas! Have a good one. Another year done and dusted.

[B]Hello Emerald, and hello all fellow traders/Babypips peeps!

Here is an interesting bit of Volume Price Analysis for you, taking the NZD/USD as an example (and I declare,

once again, an interest, as I have been trading this pair for a few weeks/months)ā€¦

What is interesting is to look at the following two charts:

CHART ONE: Nzd/Usd Daily Chart:

CHART TWO: Nzd/Usd Monthly Chart:

What we notice in Chart One is that the daily volume peaked to 1.5 billion on the

29th September 2014, when this happened:

Kiwi collapse: Government and Central Bank send NZD/USD to a 13 month low | Forex Crunch

Since nothing has quite moved the Kiwi as much as that event, we have been left

with a Nzd/Usd falling in line with a quietly zig-zagging bearish mini-trend (within

a larger, months-long bearish trend), with the (orange) 50-day moving average

right on top of daily candles, indicating that price has not much strength to reverse

the fallā€¦

What is interesting here is that if one squeezed the daily chart back in time, one

would find that the highlighted event (29th Sep. 2014) had the HIGHEST VOLUME

since the beginning of volume data from FXCMā€™s indicator, which is 2010ā€¦ What

is significant, also, is that the orange-circled price action, corresponding with said

record volume, shows how the volume surge helped pushing the price and keeping

it below the very significant round-number level of 0.80, marked on this chart

screenshot as the upper of two solid red lines; high-to-low, the 29th Sep. candle

measured 161 pipsā€¦ However, it was only on the 25th Sep. that a rather more

solid-looking candle, measuring 166 pips (high to low), pushed price below that

0.80 level, but with less volume, at 1.1 billion unitsā€¦ In other words, the highest

volume surge in four years did not correspond to a large-body, equally impressive

candle at the end of a three-day dropā€¦

The bearish trend seems to have slowed down at that point, compared to the two-month

vertiginous descent of 800 pips since Julyā€™s heady heights around 0.88ā€¦ While the high-volume

spike of 29th Sep. helped keeping price under the year-long significant level of 0.80, which had not

been breached for the entire year (2014), it certainly was not matched by an

equally impressive price action, given that 161 pips was, for example no match

for the 15th October candle, registering 189 pips with a much lesser volume

(just above 1 billion units)ā€¦ However, the 15th October candle did nothing but

span (almost) the entire length between the two solid red lines on Chart One, namely

the 0.78 and the 0.80 level, and fail to break above the latterā€¦ and, indeed, price

has failed to break above 0.80 sinceā€¦

Now, if we zoomed out onto a monthly chart, we notice something even more

interesting in terms of Volume Price Analysisā€¦ Let us move to Chart Twoā€¦

What we see on this second chart is that the monthly volume in August, September,

and October 2014 was increasing greater, peaking at about 17.5 Billion units in

Octoberā€¦ However, did price match this volume swell? Clearly, if we look at

the orange-circled area in the chart, the September candle spanned (low-to-high)

and impressive 683 pips, and was an almost entirely solid candle: however, it was

not matched by the highest volume, as this achievement went to the following month,

and what is interesting to see is that in October there was not only a candle HALF

the size of Septemberā€™s, but also one that was almost entirely body-less (call it

a Doji, if you wish)ā€¦ So the month that gave us the highest DAILY volume on

those Kiwi/RBNZ news we spoke about in discussing Chart One was also the month

with a matching large, solid-bodied bearish candleā€¦ This candle, incidentally,

was almost a mirror version (bearish, rather than bullish) of the Sep. 2013 candle,

which also spanned around 700 pipsā€¦ However, that candle had LESS THAN HALF

the volume of the Sep. 2014 candle, and yet it helped the NZD/USD past the 0.80

level and on to new highsā€¦

So, which is less trueā€¦ the Volume-Price relationship of Sep. 2013 or of Sep. 2014?

Well, both pushed price past the historically significant 0.80 level (respectively

above and below it): interestingly, on both occasions

it was the fundamentals to move price one way or the otherā€¦ In the first instance,

it was the market talk of the RBNZā€™s rate-hike bets

(http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-26/aussie-kiwi-hold-loss-versus-peers-amid-u-s-debt-limit-concern.html);

in the second instance, post-2014 RBNZ rate hikes, it was the realisation that those

rate hikes had been overdone and that the RBNZ had actually decided it had

nowhere to go (in terms of matching the marketā€™s expectations of its rate hikes

continuing)ā€¦ A typical example of the markets front-running an event (i.e. rate hikes)

and then crashing down once reality kicks in (think of the GBP/USD crazy run and

subsequent bomb-dive, all based on speculative front-running of ā€˜possibleā€™ rate hikes

from the BoE, which never happened)!

So you can see that sometimes Volume Price Analysis can really throw some

interesting scenarios, with similar powerful price moves not matched by equal

volumeā€¦ It is all about context, and about interpretation: as Anna Coulling would

say, it is an ART, not a scienceā€¦

Finally, what we see in the Volume Price Analysis of the monthly Nzd/Usd chart

(Chart Two), is that in the months of October, November, and December 2014

there has been a falling monthly volume, accompanied by NOT ONE but THREE

Dojis on the chart!! Even more interesting is that while the massive September

candle brought the price to a close just about bang on top the 0.78 level (closing

at 0.7807, to be precise), thus failing to break it, the subsequent three months,

with three Dojis alternating a bearish, bullish, and bearish lean, all failed to do

anything about the 0.78 level, with the Oct. one closing at 0.7783, the Nov. one

at 0.7810, and the December one currently looking similar to the Oct. one at

0.7785 (at the time of writing this thread post)ā€¦ In other words, price has

been compressing just below the 0.78 level FOR THREE CONSECUTIVE MONTHS

but failing to move past it or closing significantly lowerā€¦

What does this bode for the new year, 2015? Well, with the USD moving towards

its own first rate hike in a long time, and with the volume that it carries, both

as a global currency and a huge economic powerhouse, it would be tempting to

think that the NZD/USDā€™s fundamentals are looking rather less attractive on

the bullish sideā€¦ Combined with this is the fact that, even without engaging

in a (dangerous) game of picking tops, the NZD/USD is at its highest levels of

two decades of price history, and has failed to break its 0.88 peak in three years

of price history (the level was tested and rejected in July 2011 and in June 2014).

On the downside, there is nearly a 3,000-pip run from current price to the low

of late-2008/early-2009, at the end of the global financial crash: while pushing higher cannot

be deemed impossible, the higher probability in a longer-term perspective seems

to be resting on the side of a Kiwi Dollar depreciation against its North American

counterpartā€¦

Will the bearish thrust initiated in July 2014, paused in the last three months,

resume in the new year?

We shall seeā€¦ in the mean time, I will be watching this pair with great interest,

and continue to hold shortā€¦

Happy trading.

[/B]

Cheers, good sir!
Merry Christmas and a happy 2015 to you too!!

Thank youā€¦ Great blogā€¦ I shared it on Twitterā€¦

Hmmmā€¦ Advertising? Is this acceptable? Just out of curiosity thatā€™s allā€¦

No money involved: I call it sharing :wink: